Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Digger is really good, if old
http://diggercomic.com

There’s the works of Øyvind Thorsby, like Hitmen for Destiny. The art’s rough but it’s a pretty wild ride.

I can’t really say I know too many really recent good webcomics. This is probably caused by a lot of webcomic creators moving to Webtoon, a site that I don’t go to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Defenestrategy posted:

I've gotten into a comics kick recently, and I don't know where to go from here. I like horror, deconstruction, and stuff with kinda downer moments in them? So more of that kinda stuff?

Stuff I liked:
Geiger
The Boys
Arkham: A Serious House on Serious Earth
Ruins
Injustice
Wytches

Maybe try Monstress? A lady teams up with a monster in her body to murder magic users (I think that’s the premise, I’ve not read it)

That or Something is Killing the Children

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Peanut Butler posted:

e: has the united states made it legal for women to write comics yet because goddamn i'd've thought that'd be a little more evened out by now

Two of the three best selling western comics authors are women

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Air Skwirl posted:

Who?

I mean, I think the poster you're quoting is being dismissive of a huge number of women writers in western comics, but I'm genuinely curious who those women are (and the dude who's number one or two, because if he was three you wouldn't have phrased it that way)

Endless Mike beat me to it. For greater context, Telgermeier made Teeth, an extremely popular semi-autobiographical comic for kids, and Sutherland is the author of the Wings of Fire series, a middle school series about dragons

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Kate Beaton recently released her very good autobiographical comic, Ducks, too

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Uthor posted:

Need a gift for my cousin. He's an artist, so the art is important. B&W with flowing inks seems to be something he's especially into, but anything goes. Horror, abstract, violence are totally fine for him. Like, I think he enjoyed Red Room.

Totally fine with obscure indie or Marvel/Image. He liked East of West, I just lent him Doctor Strange: Fall Sunrise. Sorry, can't name random indie things he's been into, but he's got a bunch. I'd prefer a series that can be read in a couple of TPBs, not a long ongoing.

Are foreign comics okay or do you want to keep it American?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Uthor posted:

I look at whatever you recommend...

I’m not entirely sure what flowing inks means but the entirety of Bone is available in one volume in black and white.

I’d say that my favorite artists working right now in Japan are Aki Irie, Kaoru Mori, and Kamome Shirohama.

Aki Irie has an ongoing series, Go With the Clouds North-By-Northwest (currently has five volumes), and a finished series (Ran and the Grey World, seven volumes) available in English and they’re both jaw-droppingly gorgeous.

Kaoru Mori has a Victorian romance series, Emma, but that’s hard to get your hands on. Her ongoing series, A Bride’s Story, is also deeply gorgeous but has 13 volumes available at the moment. That said, the stories are largely vignettes so you can get the first two volumes and have a pretty well contained and satisfying story.

Kamome Shirohama has the Eisner-winning series Witch Hat Atelier, but that’s also ongoing and over ten volumes. Instead, I’d recommend Eniale and Dewiela, and three volume series about a devil and angel who are friends/frenemies who mostly get up to hijinks rather than do their jobs.

If you’re feeling mischievous, you can give him Mob Psycho 100 by ONE, which is both incredibly ugly and one of the best laid-out and paced comics currently available. A real masterwork in paneling despite the awful art

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
That’s a sick Venom

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

mutantIke posted:

Animal Man is relatively short and (IMHO) has all Morrison's best qualities with none of their worst

The best part of Animal Man is that Grant’s author insert got stuck in the DC Universe and eventually got killed by gorillas

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Turbinosamente posted:

Sandman might be on the borderline but we'll look into everything, thanks all! Did some asking tonight and apparently he just finished Naruto so he is reading manga as well (we were just asked for "graphic novel" suggestions by nephew's mom). Though idk if there's much other than My Hero Acadamia on that front for current issue stuff. One Piece is long as hell too, no idea if the kid should embark on that or any other of the classic early 2000s shonen manga.

For good classic shonen, I’d recommend Full Metal Alchemist. It’s a fantastic series and it’s a measly 27 volumes.

I adore Kekkaishi but it’s hard to get your hands on the physicals. Thankfully it’s on the Viz app, which lets you read 100 chapters a day for the price of $2 a month. You can also get the Shonen Jump app for $3 a month, which has a huge amount of the SJ library. I’d really recommend the apps if he doesn’t mind reading digitally, they’re just fantastic value

Other titles currently popular with kids: Kaiju No. 8 (guy fights monsters by turning into one), Blue Lock (weird soccer training gauntlet), Spy X Family (really recommend this one—it’s a comedy about a spy, an assassin, and a telepathic six year old that become a family on false pretenses), and Demon Slayer (guys with swords fight humanoid monsters. It’s mediocre but kids love it.)

The Wings of Fire graphic novels are also really popular with kids. If you’re looking for something a bit more teen-oriented, the Kami Garcia/Gabriel Piccolo Beast Boy/Teen Titans GNs have been very well received.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
All I know is that people liked the Defenders

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
It’s a bit out of left field but you might enjoy Saint Young Men. It’s about Jesus and Buddha being unemployed losers in Tokyo

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I hear that Dog Man is very popular

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
This might be a weird request but I’m putting together an endcap at work for cozy comics. I can think of a lot of manga that are cozy in theme, like Laid Back Camp, but are there any Western comics that are particularly cozy?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Uthor posted:

Comic for a kid into acting, likes writing/directing plays and movies, etc? Pre-teen (voice is starting to change, where has the time gone?), so not a "kids" book, but not looking for sex or ultraviolence.

Kageki Shoujo!! is a manga about teen girls going to a prestigious school for an all-female theater company in Japan. It’s pretty delightful

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
There’s so many graphic novels for kids nowadays. For her age, maybe Baby Sitter’s Little Sister? The stuff by Raina Telgermeier (Teeth, Guts, Drama, etc) is good too.

Hooky and Amulet are popular fantasy series for kids, Wings of Fire, too, although those are originally prose, similar to Baby Sitters’ Club. There’s the Warriors series, too, although, again, those are primarily prose.

In manga, there’s the Pokémon comics and just so many different comics about cats. I’d recommend Chi’s Sweet Home, for one. Witch Hat Atelier is technically for adults but is extremely kid-friendly.

Super hero stuff I know less about. Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur, maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
If you’re okay with manga there’s no shortage of female authors there, either.

Witch Hat Atelier by Kamome Shirahama is a fantastic fantasy series, and so is Delicious in Dungeon by Ryoko Kui.

A Bride’s Story and Emma are both gorgeous historical series by Kaoru Mori (although Emma is hard to get your hands on if you’re a physical reader)

Even Though We’re Adults by Takako Shimura, Our Dreams at Dusk by Yuhki Kamatami, and Run Away With Me, Girl by Battan are all LGBTQ+ focused series that I think are very well made.

If she’s okay with a work centered around sexual assault, Sensei’s Pious Lie by Akane Torikai is pretty good.

These all should have characters and themes that you said she’s interested in.