Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Barry Windsor-Smith's Conan is top of the pops, reaching an apex with "Red Nails" (originally published in Savage Tales magazine, it's probably been reprinted at some point?).

Chaykin and Mignola did adaptations of Lieber's Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser stories- they're pretty fun, though I'm a big fan of (most of) the original stories so I'm senselessly critical about what was left out, haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Spider-Woman was great.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Kharmakazy posted:

Is there a long run of something good made in the last 10 years or so? I'd like to binge through something. I enjoy comedy and action, generally liked preacher, y and he last man, invincible, walking dead, etc. I don't think I've read more than a few issues of anything in the last 5 years.

It's not a long run, but the first trade of Black Cat comes out next week and we've been trying to hit the action/comedy balance with it.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Yes, sorry, I write Black Cat. First trade has issues #1-5 and the annual, so if you haven't checked out the series maybe take a look!

Edit: Sorry, the annual is going to be in Vol. 2! My mistake.

Vulpes Vulpes fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Dec 30, 2019

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Has anyone been reading the Hobtown Mystery Story books? I'm a few years late to the game, but I finally picked the first 2 volumes up, The Case of the Missing Men and The Cursed Hermit, and I'm super taken with it. A surreal mix of Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys/Tom Swift YA adventure, surreal horror tinged with a Junji Ito sensibility, all with a veneer of 90s Atlantic Canadian cigarette smoke and spilled domestic beer (it's set in Nova Scotia in 1996, and I lived in PEI in 1996, so it's all very relatable to me).

This sequence from the opening sold me-
https://twitter.com/MinovskyArticle/status/980263408141553665

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Outer Darkness?

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

I did like Donny's Strange run a lot, as it gave us Character Find of the 21st Century, Bats.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

100% by Paul Pope!

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Hawkeye: Freefall is great!

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

The Question (6-issue miniseries by Veitch and Edwards; this was the first time he was portrayed as an "urban shaman")

Has he ever been shown as such after this series? That was the run that got me into the Question, and it was a really fun take on the character.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I don't believe so. I really want to read the recent Lemire/Cowan miniseries because I've always enjoyed the Question and everyone's wildly different takes on him, but that sounds like more of a continuation/modern update of the O'Neil/Cowan series.

By the way, I'm a giant Daredevil fan, and somehow I just learned about a miniseries you wrote that bridges the gap between Soule and Zdarsky's runs. That is my #1 priority TPB to buy next.

I hope you enjoy it! I about poo poo when that came down the pipe for my first in-print mini- a Daredevil story that had almost the same name as one of the most beloved Daredevil minis, oh and it was weekly so I was doing a script a week while still teaching junior high full-time. I think it turned out pretty well though.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Lavender Jack on Webtoons is a masterpiece.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

I don't know if this is the thread for unsolicited recommendations, but ALL AGAINST ALL #1 comes out tomorrow and it's got my highest recommendation. It's ALIEN if the humans were aliens and the xenomorph was Tarzan.

Vulpes Vulpes fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Dec 6, 2022

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Always and forever Hobtown

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

I finally picked up the first 2 volumes of the Hobtown Mystery Stories, The Case of the Missing Men and The Cursed Hermit, and I'm super taken with it. A surreal mix of Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys/Tom Swift YA adventure, surreal horror tinged with a Junji Ito sensibility, all with a veneer of 90s Atlantic Canadian cigarette smoke and spilled domestic beer (it's set in Nova Scotia in 1996, and I lived in PEI in 1996, so it's all very relatable to me).

This sequence from the opening sold me-
https://twitter.com/MinovskyArticle/status/980263408141553665

Vulpes Vulpes fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Dec 25, 2022

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Peanut Butler posted:

dismissive implies I know who they are and I'm intentionally slighting them through feigned ignorance; I don't! This is real ignorance!!

I'm just reading thru a bunch of comics I like, by recommendation and by trial at the library- moving through the medium naturally as a person might, and aside from Carla Speed McNeil, the writing credits on these books have been men. That's messed up! I should be able to casually peruse my way through a dozen titles, as I have this past month, and come across more than one woman writing (three drawing).

So- pardon me for being flippant in my disappointment, but no one ought to pretend like the comix industry isn't regressive when it comes to sexism in who gets to tell stories, and who doesn't. Some of my very favorite comic authors are bald white guys; I just want to read more people like me, spinning tales in the contemporary funny papers. It feels like an echo of 20th century Science Fiction, a genre where women weren't being printed in proportion of stories to tell until very recently

I am glad there are popular comics written by women! I do not think these are comics that would appeal to me, a middle-aged adult, so I do not see them come up when I'm asking or googling for recommendations-

I also do not think it is crazy for me to look at the state of the industry and say "huh sure seems like mostly men writing books in the corner of the US/UK/EU comicsphere that I enjoy", but I don't know! Maybe that is a crazy thing to think, but nothing I've seen has contradicted it. Like it's enough to make me wonder if there's a James Tiptree, Jr. out there hiding behind a stock image of a bald guy

so yeah- comics written by women that aren't for children?

Kelly Thompson, Jodie Houser, Stephanie Phillips, and Sophie Campbell are all contemporary, working writers.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

kiminewt posted:

Coming in after watching Spider-Verse looking for some recommendations.

I used to read Marvel stuff (not a huge reader) but I bounced hard a little while after the Ultimate universe was folded into the mainline one. I hated the constant crossovers etc.

I used to read Ultimate Spider-Man (my fav for sure), Ultimate X-Men, Ant-man, and Ms. Marvel (also Invincible, Superior Spiderman).

Looking for something street-levely with a strong emphasis on characters. Preferably Marvel (Spider-Man? Daredevil?) but for sure not DC.

Try the current run of Moon Knight.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Doctor Strange's ghost dog Bats is the best.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

Which is weird because when he's not on panel, I don't see anyone asking "Where's Bats?"

I've been keeping a Bats POV issue in my pocket for a little while, and let me tell you, I'm looking forward to it.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

If you like Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew and horror, you should check out the Hobtown Mystery Stories series by Kris Bertin and Alexander Forbes, they're fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

The Octopus Pie box set by Meredith Gran from Image is really lovely (it's also available to read on the website).