Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Hello. I have not read many comic books as they're not really much of a thing beyond the collected omnibuses in the back of bookshops where I'm from. Mostly I've bought the collected stories for some interesting stuff on comixology. I've recently read some Batman stories. The Long Halloween, Year One, Dark Knight Returns, and some others. I just read the Court of Owls.

I really liked the Owls story so I googled if it had a sequel or a follow up omnibus. I found it's the start of some new continuity I guess? I thought "oh I might try and just read that new continuity" and googled how to do that. I found lists of all these different issues in different series. Buying individual issues isn't really an option for me, I'm really looking for compendiums or omnibuses. On Amazon I can buy these 14 digital books which say they cover 2011-2016. I was just wondering if people knew what was up with those?

I had bought a Court of Owls omnibus and then picked up what I thought was volume 2. I guess the first book I bought was an Omnibus of the Owls story and these smaller volumes are just the full run from 2011-2016. I saw in the first two smaller volumes that even though they cover the Owls storyline too they seem to have more in them. I spotted a chapter with Mister Freeze while skimming volume 2 and I don't recall that chapter appearing in the omnibus. I've a screenshot of the stuff I'm talking about below for context!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Zachack posted:

https://www.instocktrades.com/products/apr190526/batman-by-snyder-capullo-omnibus-hc-vol-01

https://www.instocktrades.com/products/jul217161/batman-by-scott-snyder-greg-capullo-omnibus-hc-vol-02

https://www.instocktrades.com/products/sep227313/batman-and-robin-by-peter-j-tomasi-and-patrick-gleason-omnibus-hc-(2022-edition)

https://www.instocktrades.com/comingsoon/aug237258/batman-eternal-omnibus-hc-(2023-edition)

You want either those 4 books or the issues listed in them (google around for the contents, Amazon may be clearer and you can go digital or presumably use DC Infinite). There's a vague reading order to them due to plot points, it's been a little while but I think I read the first Snyder omni, then B&R, then Eternal, then the second Snyder omni, but I could be wrong.

I also don't recall how critical Eternal was, and it's the worst of the three runs. Court of Owls is largely the Snyder run. The Tomasi run may not have had that but was very good and contemporary with Snyder.

Also good, but in a different path, are the three Morrison omnis (I'm not a huge fan of his run but it it's good and introduces Damien) and Greyson by Tom King - I think the latter kinda requires reading the former.

edit: if you're good with digital then look into a DC infinite sub, I assume all of these are on that. Reddit should have reading orders of Snyder/Tomasi B&R/Eternal. I specify Tomasi B&R because he more recently had a run on Detective post-King (who follows Snyder).

This helps a lot! I checked but DC Infinite isn't available in my region. I I'm not sure if the smaller volumes that are on amazon cover the same issues as that big omnibus you linked. Annoyingly the smaller volumes don't list what issues they gather in the item description or in their own table of contents. However that website you linked lists the chapters in them. I think I'll try and grab that first omnibus on digital if possible. So I guess my core question is if I am just kind of interested in Batman can I read those omnibuses and not worry too much about all the side stuff I might miss? I really appreciate your time!

e: using what you sent me I found another site that lists New 52 reading order specifically in terms of trade paperbacks and omnibus stuff. So that's me set. Thanks!

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Sep 7, 2023