Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Covok posted:

Hey, I haven't been into comics in a while (one could argue, ever). I've kind of regained an interest in Marvel comics and want to get back into comics overall. I'm a much bigger fan of sillier comics. I don't like it when comics take themselves too, too serious. Like, a little serious is fine, but I really hate when it gets too real, you know? Things getting too serious is why I kind of stopped reading a long time ago.

To give a better idea of what I mean, I'm a fan of Atomic Robo by Brian Clevinger which is a good tone on "upper serious for me" while I'm also a fan for things like the Batman: The Brave and the Bold TV Series for "lower serious." I'm looking for stuff in the costume crusader kind of business with tones in the range of the prior examples with it preferable being from Marvel (but, I'm always open to good).

So, anyone know any series that fit that kind of "light hearted, action filled, silly, not grim or gritty" superhero series? If this is like a super broad question, I'm sorry: I got the general vibe that comics have gotten darker over the years so that's an assumption I'm working under.

I'd say Spider-Man/Deadpool fits what you're describing the best to me.

Drax is pretty entertaining as well. Kind of like a DND campaign where the guy with the edgy berserker wants to go kill giant monsters but keeps getting roped into child saving quests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Scent of Worf posted:

Can someone explain to me why comic companies keep making these huge crossover events that seemingly everyone hates? I'm still pretty new to comics so I'm not sure if it's just a vocal minority that hates them or if they're really as hated as they seem

it depends, some events are done seemingly purely for shock value, while others can range from fixing up continuity to simply shaking up the status quo. They're pretty much all primarily made to get people interested enough to see what's going on and hopefully pull in new readers.

There's obviously good and bad event comics, but I think most people complaining about them are generally just tired of how frequent they've become, rather than having an outright problem with the concept itself.

Oh, and also the tie-ins can be a bit of a pain.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Covok posted:

I loved the Deadpool movie and was super into the Spiderman TV series when I was 7. Any good jumping on points you know?

I haven't seen the Deadpool movie yet, but I'm guessing it would fill you in on the basics of the character? The current Spider-Man/Deadpool series by Joe Kelly doesn't really require you have any sort of in-depth understanding of the backstory, and it's definitely the one comedy-focused Marvel book I'm really liking so far. It's only six issues in so far, so there's not a whole lot to read to catch up, and the latest issue actually has a ton of gags about the recent Deadpool movie.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Oh yeah, sorry about that.

But yes, I think it's definitely Marvel's best as far as what you're looking for goes.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

WickedHate posted:

I'm still gonna maintain that SG will mostly fly over an adult non-comic fan's head much less a kid, but Tiny Titans is probably fine and just has little easter eggs like when the cartoon had "Jason Todd?" on a blackboard theorizing about Red X.

Pfft, as if Jason Todd could ever be a douchey, anti-villain that sometimes steals things.

He's clearly a douchey, anti-hero that sometimes kills people.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

To be serious for a bit, I think kids are more capable of understanding things than a lot of people give them credit for. Obviously, exercise caution and be responsible, but O think most 10 year olds aren't going to be horribly confused by Squirrel Girl and Ms. Marvel.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Would anybody happen to have any strong opinions on whether I should get Harley and Ivy or the first volume of Spider-Gwen for my Sister's birthday in a month?

Edit - She likes Harley and Ms. Marvel quite a bit. I figured Spider-Gwen might be a nice expansion to that, but I also know she really likes Harley and Ivy as a couple as well.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

This is the Harley and Ivy trade I'm talking about by the way: https://www.amazon.com/Harley-Ivy-Deluxe-Paul-Dini/dp/1401260802/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472881766&sr=8-1&keywords=Harley+and+Ivy

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Archie: Chilling Adventures of Sabrina
Image: Deadly Class, Manifest Destiny
DC: Superman, Detective Comics
Marvel: Vision, Spider-Man/Deadpool

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Gaz-L posted:

BOOM: Mighty Morphin Power Rangers

Thank you for this, it's more awesome than I would have ever thought a Power Rangers comic could be.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Are there any really good comics about pirates?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm waiting for that to get ahead a bit more before catching up again.

Uthor posted:

Cursed Pirate Girl.

You have to love hyper detailed artwork with lots of tiny lines that take the creator forever to draw.

You also have to love Alice in Wonderland. It's very much a fantasy in a similar vein.

These seem interesting enough to check out, thanks.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I already read One Piece!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I don't know a whole lot about Archie outside of what I've read by Mark Waid's run so far, and that Veronica is the best character, but Afterlife With Archie seems to be pretty newcomer friendly, though I imagine it would be even better if you already know those characters fairly well.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It's already finished. You can get the trades for it though if you're interested:

https://www.amazon.com/Vision-Vol-Little-Worse-Than/dp/0785196579/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1481707027&sr=8-2&keywords=The+Vision
https://www.amazon.com/Vision-Vol-Little-Better-Beast/dp/0785196587/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1481707027&sr=8-1&keywords=The+Vision

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think it's a mixed bag.

Dick, Beast Boy, Raven, Cyborg, and Starfire are all really strong characters, but then you have a ton of really boring and/or annoying characters like Jericho, Donna Troy, Danny Chase, Pantha, and Kole. Then there's the amount of rape everywhere, and it really goes downhill later on, especially when it's just Wolfman.

But, I do think it is worth reading. The Judas Contract is a good story, and it is pretty much the defining run of Teen Titans for a reason.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

http://www.comicbookherald.com/best-comics-on-marvel-digital-unlimited/

This helped me find a lot of good stuff on Marvel Unlimited when I first got it.

Specifically, I'd recommend Jenkins' Inhumans, Nextwave, Hawkeye, Priest's Black Panther, Jack Kirby's Devil Dinosaur and Eternals, Abnett's Guardians of the Galaxy, Runaways, and both volumes of Young Avengers

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think quite a few of DC's current books are really good. Would there be any characters specifically you're interested in knowing about how their book is?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Well, I think Superman, Batman, All-Star Batman, Detective Comics, Doom Patrol, Shade, The Changing Girl, Kamandi Challenge, Teen Titans, Deathstroke (no really), Cave Carson has a Cybernetic Eye, Super Sons, Trinity, Green Arrow, and Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps are all worth checking out.

Justice League of America and Batwoman have had alright starts I think, Gotham Academy is pretty good if you're into that kind of thing like I am.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

muscles like this! posted:

I've never really read a lot of older Marvel comics but I recently subscribed to Unlimited. I could use some suggestions of what to read. I'm open to pretty much anything but since I'd be using Unlimited actual issue numbers would be helpful.

I think one of the obvious ones is Simonson's Thor

Thor #337-355, #357-369 & #371-382, Balder the Brave #1-4

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

numerrik posted:

I'm looking to get into batgirl comics, anything that's a good second step after burnside/rebirth? I liked elseworlds finest, but I like stories where babs is younger. I also read the Stephanie brown books. Anything for her outside her stint as batgirl.

It's not Barbara or Stephanie, but Cassandra Cain's solo ongoing is really good stuff

https://www.amazon.com/Batgirl-Vol-1-Silent-Knight/dp/1401266274/ref=sr_1_9?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1496207940&sr=1-9&keywords=Batgirl

I don't really know any really good Barbara runs though, so I can't help you there.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It's really aged, even harder than Claremont's X-Men stuff did.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Zachack posted:

In what way? One thing that drives me nuts about Claremont's X-Men is the insane wordiness in each panel; Man-Thing, Tomb of Dracula, Howard the Duck, etc are a bit wordy but old UXM is a bit much. But the HEY HEY I'M SHOUTING HERE NOW FOR TERRIBLE DECISION MAKING doesn't bother me.

Or is it something else? I've never really enjoyed any of LoSH due to the "age", it just leaves me cold. Like that? Something else? In this Omnibus, will a Teen Titan die?!?

It's written as a soap opera like Uncanny X-Men, but I think it ends up not working as well. The main thing that turns me off is that there's an uncomfortable amount of rape involved in the series.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Zoro posted:

I am a fan of Spiderman, Jaimie Reyes Blue Beetle, and Kamla Khan Ms. Marvel. I like stories that are lighter in nature and have an emphasis on family and/or friends with an upbeat message.

Tone-wise, think The Spectacular Spiderman TV show (R.I.P.) and the start of Kamal Khan Ms. Marvel (G. Willow Wilson) for examples.

As a caveat, I'm looking for something that isn't bogged down in continuity and shared universes. It doesn't have to be indie, but I'm tired of events and having to read 50 Series to understand one storyline.

If anyone can be so helpful, does anyone know any good series that are similar to those and fit that description?

Edit: Also, it would best if there was no mature content. Might give it to my nephew if its good. He likes comics.

The most recent Nova and Hawkeye runs.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Here's the mandatory recommendation from me to buy all three Cassandra Cain Batgirl volumes:

Buy the Cassandra Cain Batgirl volumes.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The Krypto the Superdog mini-series based off the cartoon.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

hadji murad posted:

It seems like if you stopped repeatedly buying comic books that you found bad everyone would be better off.

If only everybody could buy good things 100% of the time like you

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I don't know how you can stand it on this site of that amount of negativity is that frustrating

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Comixology unlimited has a 60 day free trial. What weird off the beaten path comics are worth reading?

Edit - Since I'm not renewing my Disneyland annual pass I also resubbed to Marvel Unlimitee and DC Universe, so same question.

Roth fucked around with this message at 13:55 on May 9, 2020

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Thanks for the recs, friends!

The Ol Spicy Keychain posted:

Any comics about occult/supernatural/pulpy stuff?

I've read and loved:
Hellboy
DC: The New Frontier

also loved Batman brave and the bold which was a cartoon.

Check out Manifest Destiny by Chris Dingess and Matthew Roberts. It's about the Lewis & Clark expedition, and has the team running across various local monsters like Bisontaurs, giant insects, and plant zombies. The art is fantastic too.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Oh, can't believe I didn't think to rec this one too: Once & Future by Keiron Gillen, Dan Mora, and Tamra Bonvillain. Story is about a dude and his grandma fighting an undead lich King Arthur. Just started so it's only 7 issues to catch up on.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I thought it was alright until Maximum Carnage came out.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

What's q good starting point for 2000 AD?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Skwirl posted:

AHAHAHAHAHAHA

Don't laugh :(

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Random Stranger posted:

Skip issue one since Judge Dredd starts with the second issue. Then read all 2000 issues since then in order.

:byodood:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Jordan7hm posted:

There’s a new reprint series starting whenever comics come back too. Best of 2000ad or something like that. 5$ 100 page book.

Ohhh, I should put that on the pull.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

What are the current Marvel/DC runs worth checking out? Looking to get back in.

Disclaimer: I am going to end up reading Teen Titans no matter what because I have no self respect.

Edit - Any cool new indie books that have started up since 2021 would be appreciated too.

Roth fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Nov 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

X-O posted:

Tom Taylor is writing Titans now and it's good! Not as good as his Nightwing but good!

My long national nightmare is over