Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Narzack posted:

I think I might have read Ennis' Hellblazer. Does he go to hell and meet Reagan or something like that?

maybe just because of primacy, but it's my favorite ennis thing outside of the boys. there is an arch where he voodoo trips through the dark heart of america with a zombie jfk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

ennis' war stories and battlefields are really good and noncapey

The Voice of Labor fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Feb 9, 2022

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

*starts persistent rumor that marc hempel's gregory is nonfiction*

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

the first two sandman archs have some kitchy charm, but gaiman doesn't really get to speed as a writer until seasons of mist/a game of you. also, while the show has some questionable alterations and substitutions, it is surprisingly faithful and most of the questionable edits change things that weren't great to begin with. like, if you want to just watch the show and not read the comics beforehand, you're not going to loose out on a ton, it isn't like going to the watchmen and being like, where's the squid yo?

dc did a remaster, redid the colors and separations and rescanned the art for the issue dick giordano inked in a day, that was back in the early 00s. these editions look a lot better, so if you're shopping used, try to avoid the collections from the 90s

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Serephina posted:

The squid was fine, if a bit out of left field, and removing it for the movie was a solid improvement. I just view it as Alan Moore running off-leash for a bit.

Sandman was retroactively acknowledged to be good only halfway through it's run, it'll be interesting to hear if the tv adaptation holds its own once things pick up.

lol. the squid is the impetus for the whole book. vietch killed the comedian because the comedian saw the squid factory. no squid = no reason for anything else to have happened afterwards

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

deep dish peat moss posted:

I want to practice lettering. Are there any comics or pages that have notably bad (or not well liked) lettering that I could re-do as a project?

dame darcy's lettering is borderline unreadable but it's hard to call it bad when it fits everything else in her books. also dame darcy comics are probably not really what people think of when they think of comic books or comic book lettering

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

the bronzing spray age

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

just finished twig and am totally in love with the art. that heavy metal/sam keith vibe really did it for me. did strahm do anything else good? is there anything else he did that beaulieu colored?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Cloks posted:

Check out Tom Taylor's Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man.

man that was good. sappy and heart stringy as it was it was nice to see a super hero actually doing heroic things. it also contained this panel

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

you've already read everything!

ann nocenti's run on kid eternity was fun and slightly stonerosophical. milligan's enigma was really good, so was rogan gosh. if you want something provocative that isn't british vertigo, the 'nam is really good and, given the circumstances of its publication, nowhere near as jingoistic as you'd expect.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

we have largely identical tastes in comic books. so I'm just going to post stuff I read and really liked

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journey:_The_Adventures_of_Wolverine_MacAlistaire

have you read heavy metal? it can be hit or miss but it's a big rear end anthology so there's statistically something that will hit. there's also 45 years of it, so if you want to watch the progression of trends in continental comic books and trends in products marketed towards people who buy heavy metal, it's great for that. I remember liking foligatto

quote:

Comics writer Grant Morrison became editor in chief beginning with the April 2016 issue of the magazine.[17] They now serve as creative advisor.

garth ennis has written a ton of war stories under various titles. I like those, they're extremely ennis and in a grounded real world historical setting the goofy edginess and parody flip into a really satisfying melodrama

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

magic cactus posted:

I'll check all this out, do you have a suggestion where to start with ennis war story stuff?

the adventure's in the rifle brigade books are over the top comedic fun. everything else is, pick one, war stories condors kinda stands out to me, as does battlefields night witches. there's at least one more series and this is over 3 or 4 publishers. there are volumes and volumes of the stuff, the earlier stuff reads a little more comic booky whereas the later stuff is a little more of that new cinematic kinda comic booky. it's all good

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

can you maybe sneak in something about theatre or one of those books where the hero feels free to be themselves when they're suited up? like, a real clandestine nod to the kid that it's o.k. to be themselves which will slip under the radar?

e: wow, I was about that age when I read the enigma, but my parents tended to be cool

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I never really liked the invisibles. which is weird because I love doom patrol and I liked the filth

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

didn't animal man mistake him for morrissey?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

https://www.comics.org/issue/14557/

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

there are also a bunch of doctor who comics

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I was big into sandman at that age. I would contend that neil gaiman is an fantastic young adult fiction writer even when he's trying to write adult stuff.

the 90s were edgier times though so who knows

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

dalgoda is o.k. but obscure and never got finished

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=228041

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

the movie is not so good iir. the book is, the charles vess illustrations are very nice. but unless I'm missing something it's not a book about film making or theater

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

man, I bet there's some really obvious e.c. horror masterpiece about an actor who researches his role as a murderer by becoming a mmmmurrrderrerrrr

...the facts in the case of mrs. finch. that's the neil gaiman comic about theatre troops, but I can't remember how age appropriate it is

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

96 spacejam posted:

Illumiatus Trilogy has been collecting dust for over a decade. I remember being in my early 20s and even today it looks like it has a bit of everything I like but in doing some review skimming here I was getting the im14edgy vibe? Is that PHIZ just being PHIZ? I see the slippery slope.

kinda, the second character introduced is a serial rapist and the second or third thing that happens in the book is jail rape. but there are dolphins. like, the end is that big battle at the end of the hobbit except instead of hobbits and eagles it's hippies and dolphins.

terry southern wrote a bunch of silly hippy conspiracy novels, at least two got made into movies.

with pynchon bleeding edge (9/11 conspiracy) and vineland (60s cointelpro -> 80s fascism conspiracy) would be my recommendations. inherent vice left me kinda flat, but it is a straight up detective novel....

....there is dirk gentlys holistic detective agency.

stanislaw lem's peace on earth might hit the spot, it's a mystery with intrigues playing out in a scifi future paranoia

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I found a year or two of an early run at a thrift sale and enjoyed it. a lot of that enjoyment was "lol 80s" nostalagia looking at the angular shoulderpadded women's fashions and everyone smoking. wagner's a pretty good writer through, sandman mystery theater held up, if you want detectivey stuff grendel probably won't disappoint

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

everyone's hyped about spawn and the maxx is pretty cool but I'd say go with savage dragon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

ann nocenti's kid eternity run is good. there's no emphasis on women folk having agency but thinking back I can't really think of anyone really having agency