Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Goatmask posted:

Only $2? May as well try it and

:agifofsomeonecelebratingI'mnotgoingtolookoneup:

Thanks, I'll give it a go.

East Of West is good stuff. By The Dark Tower you mean the Stephen King stuff? I haven't read it but Pretty Deadly is a knockoff of that, or at least very similar? From my limited understanding that doesn't sound right.

Edit: I'm thinking there might be some Modius colletction or something that has what I'm after? Only read The Incal.

I wouldn't call PrettyDeadly a knockoff of Dark Tower, but they both mix magical weirdness and Westerns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Opopanax posted:

Go from Morrison to Wheadon's Ashtonishing and then jump to the Marvel Now stuff.

Well, read House of M too I guess

And then stop once they all start get written by Bendis.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

pumpinglemma posted:

Really? I liked his Daredevil run a lot.

His Daredevil is classic. His X-Men is a display of all his worst qualities as a writer. Snarky characters without their own, established voices, plot lines that go nowhere or just vanish, and hyper-decompression. Sometimes, individual issues are good, but taken as a whole, his X-Men run is kind of terrible.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Ramadu posted:

Jesus christ. I had this same loving problem with Miles Morales when trying to figure out how to read it. Why the hell can they not label this poo poo in any way comprehensible to someone who doesn't have decades of comic readership under their belt. I literally have never even heard of this and I must have gone to 50 or 60 websites tonight trying to figure this poo poo out before coming here. Thanks for the tip man.

hahaha, I just had the same problem with the trades for Avengers/ New Avengers and I have been reading comics for decades.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Make Lucifer you're first. You don't really need to read Sandman to get it, but you should anyways. It is my opinion that Lucifer is actually better than Sandman, and Sandman is pretty drat good.

If you do go for Infinite Vacation, do it last. It starts strong but I dropped it after a couple issues because it turned into a bunch of try-hard "shocking" bullshit.

Lazarus is great, as a rule, you can't really go wrong with Rucka. If at all possible, get the single issues because, I think, the world building text bits at the end of the issues may not be reprinted in the trades, I'm not sure about that though. It's a novel take on the post apoc genre where resource scarcity caused a world war and now the world is divided up into factions led by specific families, each with their own expertise. The thing with Rucka though, even though he's writing about potentially world changing plots, he keeps things grounded and character focused. The art is pretty great, too.

Rat Queens is just hillarious and kind of filthy, read it if you like fun, especially if you're a D&D nerd.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Gotham Central is an amazing book, but Batman is only a character in the same sense that Gotham is a character. Absolutely read it, then read everything else Rucka has written DC, Marvel, or indy. But don't expect a lot of Batmaning in the book.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Hakkesshu posted:

We3

I generally don't like Morrison because his stuff is either impenetrable or completely stuck up its own rear end, but We3 is just a really simple story told in a very creative way. Even Quitely is in top form compared to his superhero comics which I also find extremely unappealing.

Yes, I dislike Morrison immensely, but WE3 is amazing on every level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

What's the best Star Wars that's on Marvel Unlimited?

Please tell me you're reading all the current series. Especially Lando and Vader.

Fake Edit: Spell check knew Vader, but not Lando, this has been rectified.