Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Cornwind Evil posted:

Recently read Warren Ellis' Crecy, thought it was quite good. Anyone else know any comic stories that examine war/historical war in a relatively informative but not too heavy way? Too heavy, for an example, is From Hell (and yes I know it's not exactly pure 'history'), which is great but REALLY dense. I'll take war comics/historical comics in general as long as they're good.

The Cartoon History of the Universe by Larry Gonick is incredible. Five volumes cover all of history. It covers big events but also some individual stories, and you really get the feel of how events are interconnected despite occurring in different places.

Also, Don Rosa's Uncle Scrooge and Donald Duck stories can actually contain a lot of real history. The new Fantagraphics collections have commentaries by Rosa that go into more detail about the historical events depicted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

just another posted:

I just watched Edge of Tomorrow and Oblivion, and I'm in the mood for something sci-fi. Preferably something harder and less space opera-y.

Already tried Saga and it didn't hold my interest. Manga is fine, too.

2001 Nights is good, if you can find it.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Gogor is an all-ages fantasy with humans and anthropomorphic animals. Low is underwater post-apocalyptic SF with intelligent animals.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

fadam posted:

What's the best place to start with the Carl Banks Donald Duck stuff? Is there a reason why Fantagraphics only has Vol 5+ for sale here:
https://www.fantagraphics.com/series/the-complete-carl-barks-disney-library/

I read a Don Rosa book that was lying around at a cabin I visited last weekend and I loved it, and I'd like to jump in from the very beginning.

They're been printing Barks's work out of order and haven't done the first four volumes' worth yet. You can find the publication order here. I think people usually consider the early 1950s as the start of his really good period, and the volume Only a Poor Old Man (1952-54) has some famous stories.

As for Don Rosa, Fantagraphics has printed his entire Scrooge/Donald run in ten volumes.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Gameko posted:

Are there any recommendations for He-Man comics?

He-Man stories had a bit more depth and were often reasonably well written (compared to other children's media at the time). My Point-Dread toy came with an book&record that I found pretty compelling at age 5. It seems there have been a few lines of comics and I'm wondering if there are any that take the stories and mythology at all seriously. IMHO, He-Man had the potential for some real storytelling but of course all of those cartoon-products in the 80s were incredibly dumbed down.

There's a 1200-page omnibus of all the comics that came packed in with the figures. They can follow their own mythology and aren't too connected with the cartoon:

ISBN 9781616558772

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Stabby McDamage posted:

Hello, thread. I started looking at comics seriously for the first time recently. There are a few I've found and like a lot, but when I browse to find new titles, it's like a 0.1% hit rate for stuff I actually end up liking.

I've liked series with a consistent writer for a long run, ideally start-to-finish, and preferablty with consistent art: Gwenpool and Squirrel Girl by North, Sunstone and Harleen by Sejic, Transmetropolitan by Ellis, even a few of the more coherent Deadpool TPBs. Whenever I pivot to find more by a given writer, they usually have a ton of one off credits in long-running series, and I can't imagine dropping in for one issue of something then sticking with it while it violently jerks from tone to tone as writers shuffle through. Same when I try to follow a character to another writer/context.

I don't think I'd care about mainline Marvel/DC stuff like Avengers or whatever, and I definitely steer toward completed series over things trickling out monthly.

Been feeling kind of lost, just eeping by following writers to their other fully-authored series and getting burned 99% of the time I strike out on my own.

A few more that haven't been mentioned yet, all of which are complete and collected:

Low
Sex Criminals
Punisher Max by Garth Ennis (various art teams but one writer)
Swamp Thing by Alan Moore (fairly consistent art team)
Black Hammer
The Cartoon History of the Universe
Silver Surfer by Slott/Allred
Akira
Nausicaä
Lone Wolf and Cub (28 volumes!)
Assassination Classroom

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Starman by James Robinson, Tony Harris, and Peter Snejbjerg (a lot of it is out of print, but a new Omnibus is coming soon. It's my favorite comic series of all time.)

I wish they'd do oversized hardcovers or Absolutes instead of the paperback collecting 50+ issues they're releasing. I need to re-read Starman at some point though.

One more that I forgot on my list above is James Roberts's run on Transformers More than Meets the Eye and Lost Light. It crosses over with other books sometimes but is mainly self-contained.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Uthor posted:

Edit: I misremembered. They're regular sized hardcovers.

I didn't get those because I was waiting for what I thought would be the inevitable oversized versions. At least I have the original issues.

And I wish they'd do oversized releases of Roberts's Transformers run. There are oversized Transformers collections but they include multiple series even though they aren't really connected; I just want the Robert stuff.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Serephina posted:

Hello BSS, hello thread!

After being recommended Invincible elsewhere and getting 100 episodes it before being utterly disgusted at my (imo) wasted time, here is my hopefully not-too-generic request: Completed graphic novel where the plot/development clearly has direction, if not hashed out beforehand. Clear beginning, middle, end. Capes are fine I guess, but Extended Universe stuff (ie Avengers) unwanted. Superman Red Son, Sandman by Neil Gaiman, Locke & Key, Transmetropolitan are examples in descending order of things I loved and felt had direction.

Hopefully that's not too vague? Can narrow it down if I'm being dumb. Thanks in advance!

James Roberts's run on Transformers More than Meets the Eye/Lost Light has a very detailed plot and setting with clear progression of the story.

There's also Alan Moore's run on Swamp Thing, which is divided into three distinct phases, shows the growth of the protagonist, and has a definitive ending. You might also look at Moore's original 12-issue Top Ten series. And then there's Watchmen and his run on Miracleman, of course.

Don Rosa's Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck tells how Scrooge earned his money, starting with him as a boy and going to his familiar older self.

Assassination Classroom is about a group of students whose teacher is a weird monster who says the world will end if they don't kill him by the end of the school year. The series covers the year as the students' assassination skills grow but so does their respect for their teacher, all while the governments of the world plot to eliminate the teacher.

Action Jacktion fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Sep 13, 2021

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Organic Priced Books, Midtown Comics, MyComicShop, Things from Another World, and Dreamland Comics ship internationally.

Action Jacktion fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jan 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Monstress is written and illustrated by two Asian women. Most of the characters are female, and the protagonist and others are queer.