Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

I would never recommend Hickman's run on anything.

We know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Madkal posted:

I read A Once Crowded Sky ages ago by Tom King and I am wondering about some recommendations for some novels by comic book writers. Also chances are I have asked this question before and if I have I apologize
Charles Soule has written a couple novels: The Oracle Year and Anyone both of which are pretty good, easy reads. Greg Rucka has a bunch of Queen and Country novels, but I haven't read those, myself.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Oh right G. Willow Wilson was a prose writer first. Definitely check out her stuff.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Der-Wreck posted:

I have a few requests for recommendations and I hope that is okay!

I just finished Secret Wars and really loved the amount of side stories and alternate universe exploration. What Marvel alternate universe runs/series would you recommend? I just love seeing different takes on the usual superheroes.

I also read the 2015 Vision mini-series where he makes his own nuclear family in suburban Virginia and I was wondering what other weird/off-kilter Marvel series there are like that one. Along the lines of that series or Grant Morrison's Animal Man run.

FINALLY, I'm wondering if there are any good character-driven books/series for Marvel characters? Things that are less about fighting the BIG BAD and more looking at "a day in the life" or just what makes them tick. I read Kraven's Last Hunt recently and that kinda was what I was looking for.
For alternate universe stuff, there's always classic What If? Quality of stories.....varies, but they're usually fun. The early-2000s Exiles series was good with the original creative team (Judd Winick and MIke McKone), and even the later teams are at least readable. It's probably the best thing Chuck Austen wrote (this is damning with faint praise). Volumes 2 and 3 are also quite good.

For off-kilter stuff *maybe* Milligan's X-Force/X-Statix run?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I haven't read it myself, but am I wrong in remembering that the Marc Andreyko Manhunter series was pretty well-regarded?

E: Oh I didn't see it tucked into the middle in the above post lol

The Power Girl series after Infinite Crisis was fun.
Shadowpact at least started out okay.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jan 26, 2021

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, Tradd Moore is definitely "stylish and kinetic." The Silver Surfer: Black series also has art by him, and while the story is.....maybe not so great, it sure looks pretty!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Madkal posted:

I think the ones they have are Claremont.

*RUN*

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Let's not recommend Saga for someone looking for a complete series when its current status is "on indefinite hiatus"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Marvel stuff that's *mostly* not part of events unless

Immortal Iron Fist by Fraction, Brubaker, and Aja

Hawkeye by Fraction and Aja

Fantastic Four by Waid

New X-Men by Morrison

Fantastic Four/FF by Hickman (you'll need a read order)

Avengers/New Avengers by Hickman (you'll need a read order)

Thor by Aaron (you'll need a read order - this runs into one or two events but they're not bad)

Immortal Hulk by Ewing (this isn't quite finished, but will be by the end of the year)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hiro Protagonist posted:

James Roberts's Transformers MtMtE run is pretty much my favorite comic series of all time. There are so many things to love, but in particular, I love how well planned and set up everything is, with something mentioned offhandedly coming up again 5 to 10 issues later. Can anyone think of another series that manages to do this quite as well?

F4/FF or Avengers/New Avengers by Hickman. I don't think his character work is as good as Roberts, though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Cross-posted from the DC thread:

Did anyone read Far Sector, by N.K. Jemisin and Jamal Campbell? I'm about halfway through the trade paperback, and every page blows me away. It reminds me more of Saga than any Green Lantern comic ever -- this complicated, beautiful, weird setting that feels fully fleshed-out and lived-in, with the human GL, Jo Mullein, as a perfect audience POV character. The art is stunningly gorgeous. I don't know if I've ever seen its equal. I've never read any of Jemisin's novels or seen Campbell's art before, but this science fiction/political drama/murder mystery is fabulous so far.

It's so loving good and either Jemisin had an excellent editor or she connected with comics writing like she was made for it. Anyway, go read her prose stuff, too, it's also excellent.

I'm holding out for a hardcover of it, but haha DC trade department means that may never come.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I bailed on it awhile ago. Something about it wasn't working for me, though I liked the premise.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's a whole series of "Comic History of" books. Scott McCloud's "Understanding Comics" is a good read ("Reinventing Comics" is good, too, but not as much). And "Mr. Boop" of course.

But yeah, Persepolis or March are both great options.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Box Brown also did one about Tetris that's good!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The last run of the previous volume vaguely leads into it, but really it's just jumps into a story full of MYSTERIES that are, to the current issue, unresolved, so just jump in and be as confused as the rest of us.

(FWIW I've been enjoying it a lot when it doesn't involve the weird unresolved mysteries.)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

zelah posted:

I loved Coda that BOOM put out in 2019. Are there any other, ideally limited or finished, books that hit that kind of fantasy?
Head Lopper by Andrew MacLean is the closest I can think of, but as far as I'm aware it's neither limited nor finished, even though an issue hasn't come out in over a year.

Jason Aaron's Sea of Stars might hit similar notes, though it's technically science fantasy, not straight fantasy.

Coda was real good and I totally forgot the name of it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skwirl posted:

If you can find it Spidey Super Stories is great for very young kids, but for some reason I don't think they ever reprinted them.

Children's Television Workshop is part owner of those so Marvel can't reprint.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You might want to check out I Hate Fairyland? Definitely a different art style and maybe falls more on humor than violence, but they're both there. It "ended" and just restarted, but you can probably just read the original run and be happy (there's only one issue of the new run so far).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, first issue came out a week or two ago.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Defenestrategy posted:

More like Nailbiter please. Already read through hack/slash, harrow county, nice house, something killing children, and locke and key. So I guess horror mystery?

This was definitely really good and exactly what I wanted to read. Thanks for this recommendation

Glad to hear it!

E:

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

I don't know if this is the thread for unsolicited recommendations, but ALL AGAINST ALL #1 comes out tomorrow and it's got my highest recommendation. It's ALIEN if the humans were aliens and the xenomorph was Tarzan.

Thanks for this recommendation, I picked it up. It seems pretty interesting, so I'll be getting the next issue.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 12, 2022

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Air Skwirl posted:

Who?

I mean, I think the poster you're quoting is being dismissive of a huge number of women writers in western comics, but I'm genuinely curious who those women are (and the dude who's number one or two, because if he was three you wouldn't have phrased it that way)

I'm assuming they're referring to Raina Telgemeier and Tui T. Sutherland who both sold around 850k books in 2022. The highest is Dav Pilkey (a man) who sold 3.6 million. If you've never heard of those names, it's because you don't have children.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Try the current run of Moon Knight.

:thunk:

(But in all seriousness, yes, do this!)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Doctor Strange's ghost dog Bats is the best.

Which is weird because when he's not on panel, I don't see anyone asking "Where's Bats?"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Manhattan Projects is the series he very deliberately did not plan out ahead of time, so it just gets more and more insane. Worth a read for sure.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I never read the Whedon stuff but the initial Vaugh run and the recent Rowell run are great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Did Black Monday Murders even finish? Last I saw they never put out the last issue. Maybe I missed it!