Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Previous Thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3395087

I've reserved the 2nd and 3rd posts for Reading Lists. If you feel that I've missed something, please PM me or email me at my username at gmail.

Edge & Christian's OP, originally from back in the mists of time:

One of the things that I really like about BSS is that it's not specifically a community of hardcore funnybook obsessives. There are certainly a good portion of us, but there are also plenty of people who are lapsed readers, casual fans or people who are just now discovering the terror and wonder of the funnybook industry and artform. For all of those people, recommendation and suggestion threads/conversations are really valuable and helpful, especially for people who want to spread their interest, creeping-mold-style to unsuspecting others.

So for this valuable service, I'd like to propose a sort of "reccomendation mega-thread". I want to make it clear that this is NOT intended to be a thread for "post your favorite comics". If someone would like to start that thread, it would also potentially serve some sort of purpose, either here or in PYF. But that isn't the purpose of this thread, because I don't really know how those sort of threads really benefit any noviate readers.

To go back to the threads I linked to above, the "Comics with Thieves" thread is a good example of a concrete question with a good range of responses. The poster described which kind of comics he liked, what sort of reccomendations he'd like to receive, and people responded accordingly. The other two threads were either hopelessly vague or gave a scattershot list of things the person read with minimal explanation of why he liked those comics.

Examples of good questions:

quote:

I saw Sin City a few months ago and picked up the comics. I really enjoyed them, and want to read more stories of that sort. What other gritty, stylized crime comic books are available?

quote:

I have really been enjoying Ed Brubaker's Captain America run; I always thought he was a goofball, but Brubaker's troubled but resolute soldier reading of the character is great. Are there any other series or runs on series that portray him similarly?

quote:

I really really really love Warren Ellis, are there any other writers that write in a similar manner? I am thinking particularly of stuff like Planetary and Ultimate Fantastic Four, the sort of science-fiction-heroes stuff.

Examples of bad questions:

quote:

I read some comics with Batman in them and they were AWESOME, what other Batman should I get because Batman is awesome.

quote:

I just started reading comics all I've read is From Hell, Johnny the Homicial Maniac and Spider-Man. What else should I read?

quote:

I've been thinking about getting into [Marvel/Vertigo/non-superhero] comics, what should I read?

To put it more simply, all that I ask of participants of the thread:
To the questioners, please explain why you like the comics you are using as examples, or if you are constructing a hypothetical comic ("I'd love to read a humorous science fiction comic!") explain what appeals to you in that concept. This ensures that you will get comics that appeal to you and this will be helpful.
To the answerers, please bear in mind what the person is asking for. The words I hate to see in all of these threads are "well this isn't really.." and "but you should still read it anyway". That's great that you are so excited about a certain comic that you think every man woman and child on Earth should read it -- I get the same way about certain comics -- but that isn't what this thread is about.

Andy says: There are a lot of people asking for recommendations. If you guys could quote the person you're answering (you don't have to quote the whole post, just a little bit will do), that'd be very helpful. If you're not answering anyone's question, please keep unsolicited recommendations to yourself. Somebody will come along soon enough with tastes that you can recommend that book to, and then you can post your recommendation and be a help at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Common Recommendation Requests

Note that virtually everything here will be available digitally on Comixology (or possibly through Marvel's Unlimited service), or in softcover or hardcover collections.

Marvel

Avengers
The current main Avengers run is by writer Jonathan Hickman. He is writing both Avengers, and New Avengers since December 2012, and both would be recommended if you're looking to read Avengers stories. They are thematically linked, and while they're not crossing over (for the most part), they are becoming more linked as their stories progress.

So far, these 2 Avengers books have lead up to a single event, Infinity, in 2013. Here's the read order:

Prelude (These can be read in any order, more or less).
0a)Avengers Vol. 5 #1-17
0b)New Avengers Vol. 3 #1-8

Main Series
1)Infinity #1
2)Avengers Vol. 5 #18
3)New Avengers Vol. 3 #9
4)Infinity #2
5)Avengers Vol. 5 #19
6)New Avengers Vol. 3 #10
7)Infinity #3
8)Avengers Vol. 5 #20
9)Infinity #4
10)Avengers Vol. 5 #21
11)New Avengers Vol. 3 #11
12)Infinity #5
13)Avengers Vol. 5 #22
14)Avengers Vol. 5 #23
15)Infinity #6
16)New Avengers Vol. 3 #12

If you want to go back further, Brian Bendis has a long run as main Avengers writer/architect. In my opinion, it had some highs, but really was the victim of too many event books (and constantly changing status quos), and later bendis kinda phoning it in. Here's a recommended order of reading stuff (Event books are marked with a *):

0a)Secret War This is only tangentially related, but is worth a read
0b)Avengers Vol. 1 #500-503 [Disassembled] Note that this is a really bad story with awful art. It begins the whole thing but is pretty skippable, you could get by with just starting with New Avengers #1.
0c)Avengers Finale
1)New Avengers #1-10 [Breakout/Sentry]
2)*House of M #1-8
3)New Avengers #11-20 [Secrets and Lies/The Collective]
4)*Civil War #1-7
4a)New Avengers #21-25 [Civil War]
Post-Civil War, the books split into Mighty Avengers and New Avengers
5a)Mighty Avengers #1-11 [The Ultron Initiative/Venom Bomb]
5b)New Avengers #26-37 [Revolution/The Trust]
6)New Avengers: The Illuminati #1-5
OP Note: In my opinion, this is where poo poo starts to get whack.
7)*Secret Invasion #1-8
7a)New Avengers #38-47 [Secret Invasion Book 1/Secret Invasion Book 2]
7b)Mighty Avengers #12-20 [Secret Invasion Book 1/Secret Invasion Book 2]
Post-Secret Invasion, a third Avengers book launches, Dark Avengers.
8a)Mighty Avengers #21-31 [Earth's Mightiest/The Unspoken]
8b)New Avengers #48-60 [Power/Search For The Sorcerer Supreme/Powerloss]
8c)Dark Avengers #1-6, 9-12 [Dark Avengers Assemble/Molecule Man] Dark Avengers #7-8 is part of a crossover with Uncanny X-Men called Utopia
9)*Siege #1-4
9a)New Avengers #61-64 [Siege]
9b)Mighty Avengers #32-36 [Siege]
9c)Dark Avengers #13-16 [Siege]
10)New Avengers Finale
At this point, all the books are cancelled and relaunched, with Avengers Vol. 4 as the main book, and New Avengers Vol. 2 being a secondary, "street-level" book. You're on your own with those. If you do continue, don't read Fear Itself.

X-Men
Brian Bendis has recently joined the X-Men writing team and has two main books currently, Uncanny X-Men Vol. 3 and All-New X-Men, mostly focussing on Cyclops' side of the "Schism". You can start at those with their #1 issues. They both crossed over into the Battle of the Atom event with two other books in the line.

Other current books are Wolverine and the X-Men, recently relaunched by Jason Latour, and (Adjectiveless) X-Men by Brian Wood, focusing primarily on the female team members.

Other BSS recommended X-reading:
  • New X-Men by Grant Morrison
  • Astonishing X-Men by Joss Whedon
  • (Adjectiveless) X-Men/X-Men Legacy by Mike Carey
  • Uncanny X-Force by Rick Remender
  • X-Men Legacy (Vol. 2) by Si Spurrier

Captain America
Rick Remender is currently writing Captain America. Start with Captain America Vol. 7 #1.

Older stuff:
  • Captain America Vol. 5 #1-50, Vol. 1 #600-619, Vol. 6 #1-19 by Ed Brubaker

Spider-Man
This is relaunching soon under Dan Slott with Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 4 #1.

Thor
Jason Aaron is current writer of Thor, start his run with Thor God of Thunder #1.

Older stuff:
  • Thor Vol. 1 #337–355, 357–382 by Walter Simonson
  • Thor Vol. 3 by J. Michael Straczynski
  • The Mighty Thor by Matt Fraction

Daredevil
Mark Waid is the current Daredevil writer, teaming with Chris Samnee. It's on a brief hiatus right now, and will be re-launching with Daredevil Vol. 4 in March 2013.

Daredevil has had mostly great runs for the past 10-15 years:
  • Daredevil Vol. 2 #26-50, 56-81 by Brian Bendis (w/ Alex Maleev)
  • Daredevil Vol. 2 #82-119, Vol. 1 #500 by Ed Brubaker (w/ Michael Lark)
  • Daredevil Vol. 3 #1-36 by Mark Waid (w/ Paolo Rivera, Marcos Martin, Chris Samnee and others)

If you want to read some earlier stuff, check out Frank Miller's run from the 80's.

Hulk
Mark Waid is currently writing Hulk, start his run with Indestructible Hulk #1.

Older Stuff:
  • Incredible Hulk Vol. 2 #331-467 by Peter David
  • Incredible Hulk Vol. 3 #92-105 by Greg Pak [Planet Hulk]

Punisher
Nathan Edmondson just launched a series under the All-New Marvel Now banner. Start with The Punisher Vol. 10 #1.

Older stuff:
  • Punisher Vol. 5 #1-12 [Welcome Back, Frank], Punisher Vol. 6 #1-37 [Marvel Knights Punisher], Punisher Vol. 7 #1-60 [Punisher MAX] by Garth Ennis
  • PunisherMAX #1-22 by Jason Aaron
  • Punisher Vol. 9 #1-16 by Greg Rucka

Marvel Now/All-New Marvel Now
Here are a some random Marvel series which you should be reading because they're awesome.

• Hawkeye by Matt Fraction (w/ David Aja, Annie Wu)
  • Black Widow by Nathan Edmondson (w/ Phil Noto)
  • She-Hulk by Charles Soule (w/ Javier Pulido)

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Feb 25, 2014

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Reserved.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Opopanax posted:

He's great when he's doing his own stuff but he's pretty much always bad doing existing characters.
That's really not true, Supreme Power was really good, and the first half or so of his Spider-Man is really good too (although some people don't like the Spider-totem stuff, whatevs). His FF was...ok? I forget how much of it I read. Although it does have that really horrible stuff with Reed during Civil War. I think I dropped it around that point.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Sphinx posted:

Just got my subscription. Don't worry, since I have it for a month I do play on branching out. I'll probably check out Daredevil (starting where, not sure) and Ultimate Spider-Man as I've heard good things about them. Regarding those Marvel events, are they at least okay until the New Avengers finale?
Yeah, as I have in the OP, I'd probably recommend reading all or most of New Avengers v1 (the 2005 series), and I guess the events as laid out. The events do kinda get progressively worse, although Siege is probably better than Secret Invasion by virtue of the fact that it's half as long (4 issues vs 8 issues for Secret Invasion). I got really burned out by SI because it was slow, also I think the two Avengers books (New and Mighty) were double-shipping each month during it, but mostly just filling in back-story to the Skrull invasion, showing how people got replaced etc. It was a great idea but in practice it just didn't work, especially with the number of issues they were putting out for it.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Teenage Fansub posted:

Are ya gonna put any non-Marvel recs in the OP?
The good New 52 books are listed there already.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Hydrocodone posted:

Comixology has a sale on Mark Waid's Daredevil vol 3, #1-27 including 10.1. I've read books 1-4 and enjoyed them very much, so I'm planning on buying as many of them as are good.

So which aren't, if any? I ask just because a skim of reviews showed things like #11, part of the Omega Effect event, was really poorly reviewed by some and if I can/should skip it, I will.
I'd say that it's all worth reading, once the main storyline concludes in #25 or #26, the quality dips a little bit though. I enjoyed the Omega Effect crossover, it was pretty good. The only problem is that 2/3s of the story is in Avenging Spider-Man and Punisher, but it's only 3 issues total and the whole thing is written by Waid/Rucka.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Someone may correct me as I haven't read either, but I think the Kirby series from the late 70s and the Christopher Priest run from the late 90s/early 2000s are supposed to be good. I'm not sure about the later Reginald Hudlin stuff, I think general opinion on it was that it was ok but not great.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Brocktoon posted:

"Criminal" by Brubaker
He mentions it in the post which you quoted.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Before his X-Men, he did some Captain America (I think with Waid?) He also did the opening arc of Remender's Uncanny Avengers, but it was badly delayed and tbh I felt like a lot of it was phoned in by Cassaday.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Lawen posted:

Don't skip the Bendis/Maleev Daredevil run from the mid-aughts. I'm two months into a Marvel Unlimited subscription and it's the best thing I've read thus far.

Speaking of which, I've been using this reading order guide from ComicBookHerald. I've read all the pre-Avengers Dissembled stuff, Dissembled, Secret War, and am currently reading House of M. Curious if anyone has thoughts on that guide, knows of a better one, or sees any gaps that I shouldn't miss. He recently added character/team reading guides which should fill in some non-event stuff that I wasn't too sure about, so that should help.
There's one in the OP :mad:

e: Jesus don't read event tie-ins, whatever you do. Most of them are crap. If you're just reading through Avengers (which is the sort of "core" from which the events spring from), you can read those tie-ins, but as things progress they get progressively less good and more like filler (Secret Invasion, I'm looking at you). While the occasional tie-in from other books might be worth reading, as a whole I wouldn't bother too much.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jun 5, 2014

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Lawen posted:

I saw the list in the OP but frankly it didn't go back far enough and wasn't as comprehensive as I wanted. I mostly stopped reading Marvel stuff in the late 90s and decided I'd use Unlimited as a chance to go back and check out pretty much everything I'd missed. Some of it has been pretty lovely (I still can't stand the Fantastic Four), some has been surprisingly great (Dan Slott's She-Hulk, JMS' Dr Strange). But I basically want to read everything from the last 15 years that's at all good or "important", and I want to do it more-or-less chronologically.
I didn't bother going back further because typically people come in here for one of two things:
1) "I've read <X> by Writer <Y> and really enjoyed it. What else would I like by that Writer, or another writer?"
2) "I want to start reading <Z> but I'm a big babby and I'm so confused! Where do I start?"

From 2000 or so, Marvel started slowly improving, you had stuff like Morrison's X-Men, JMS' Spider-Man and Bendis' Daredevil. With regards to the Avengers they were just sort of in this pattern of being passed from one mediocre creative team to another until Bendis relaunched them and raised the book's profile. While Disassembled was fairly crap itself, it definitely had a positive result because out of it there was Ellis's Iron Man, Brubaker's Cap, Bendis' Avengers, when those books (except maybe Cap) had barely been worth reading for years. They were all pretty fresh starts, new #1's, very accessible and while they weren't reboots in any sense of the word, you could pick up Captain America #1 and figure out what the Red Skull's deal was, who Sharon Carter was, etc.

Marvel started taking a few more risks, and occasionally a bit of a "Let's throw poo poo at the wall and see what sticks" approach, which sometimes worked and sometimes didn't (I felt that they sometimes flooded their line-up with new books and never gave any of them a chance to survive).

I'd steer clear of "important" stories because that word applies very loosely, something which seems important today can suddenly be irrelevant in 6 months time. Again, I stopped reading Bendis' Avengers around Siege because it just stopped being enjoyable. I literally do not know what happened between Siege and the end of Fear Itself, and I don't really care because I'm reading Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers and loving the poo poo out of it, and hardly any of it references Bendis' stuff aside from the Illuminati and maybe a couple of other things. Bendis' run was great at first, but he just kept changing the status quo every 6 months and it eventually just became "Brian Bendis builds up to the next Summer crossover event, featuring the New Avengers".

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

You really think that Kurt Busiek and George Perez is a mediocre creative team?
After the Busiek/Perez relaunch, I mean.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

MantisToboggan posted:

I want to get more into Marvel, but I don't know where to start. I've read plenty of Ultimate comics, but not much of the 616 universe, so I would appreciate it if you guys could recommend some good arcs/collections that are fairly recent, but don't rely too much on knowing the whole history of the Marvel universe. I'm specifically interested in Spider-Man, X-Men, and the Avengers, but I'm willing to expand my horizons.
The OP (well, Second Post) has all this info, but basically Spider-Man just relaunched with a new #1 so you can read that, the current Avengers & New Avengers series are fantastic, all of those you can read without knowing much. X-Men is maybe a little more complicated.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

A Tin Of Beans posted:

What should I read if I want to know more about Corsair? I've got Cyclops #1 and #2 (which I still need to read ...), and I read the All-New X-Men/GotG crossover event, and I want to know more about this crazy space dad. Any important runs/issues I should be looking at?
He and the Starjammers feature in the Phoenix Saga and Dark Phoenix saga. As mentioned, he was introduced there early in Claremont's run.

There's also Uncanny X-Men #391, which is a Cyclops/Corsair bonding issue.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I'd recommend New Warriors, I just posted in the Marvel thread about how fun it is. I don't think I'd recommend Young Avengers for a 10 year old, though, certainly not the Gillen/McKelvie run. You might want to pre-read that before giving it to him. There is just a bit of "mature" content, I suppose.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Senor Candle posted:

TBH I don't remember much mature content unless you think homosexual relationships aren't appropriate for kids, but that book is definitely aimed at an older audience(teenagers).
It's more that, as you say, it's aimed at teenagers, not 10 year olds. Maybe Hekk is ok with his kid reading it, that's why I suggested he check it first. I wouldn't say that gay relationships would be an issue, but there are some references to sex (I forget if there's anything more suggestive in it than the opening with Kate...maybe Oubliette in general?). The other thing is that he just might not enjoy it.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I don't have Unlimited but if they have the Charlie Huston stuff up there, that was quite good. Otherwise you could check the Moench/Sienkiewicz stuff.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

There's also Bravest Warriors, I've not read it myself now but it looks to be much the same style as Adventure Time type stuff.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Skwirl posted:

There hasn't been a ton of stuff featuring both of them for a while now, but Fraction and Brubaker's Immortal Iron Fist is tons of fun, Fraction's Defenders also has Iron Fist. Luke Cage is one of the main members of the original New Avengers, start with Volume 1 by Bendis (I'm betting your reading his Daredevil at the moment) The current run of Mighty Avengers is pretty fun and also features Luke Cage.
They were both in New Avengers post-Civil War.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

He literally said Day One, Uthor was correcting him, not you.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

That is a tpb though... It's also basically where the team which most closely resembles that of the film forms

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Fraction/Aja/Wu Hawkeye.

I haven't read it because Greg Land, but a lot of people like Mighty Avengers, and that's pretty street level.

There's probably not much of it on Unlimited yet, but you could maybe check out Edmonson/Noto Black Widow. It might not be quite what you're looking for as it's more of a spy book, but there's no superheroes in it really.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 24, 2014

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Yeah Hawkeye is largely fun/slice of life type stuff, about how Clint is well-meaning but a colossal gently caress-up at times.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Lamont posted:

Apologies if I missed this being covered earlier. I know next to nothing about Cosmic Marvel - is there anything I absolutely must read before going to see Guardians of the Galaxy, other than the 2008 series?
No, there isn't anything you have to read before seeing the film, that would be a really terrible film if that was the case. I've literally never read a GOTG comic except the FCBD one this year (and that was barely even a GOTG comic).

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Batwoman too.

Maybe the Brian Wood X-Men series, but it's not very good, and I doubt it'll get any better with Guggenheim taking over.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Teenage Fansub posted:

Oh, drat. That reminds me.
Non-T&A female character asking guy! You still here? SHE-HULK! READ THE CURRENT SHE-HULK!
Oh yeah, poo poo. :shobon: Also Black Widow!

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

frenchnewwave posted:

Still here! But I'm a girl not a guy ;)
Will add that to my list.

Should I be, like, going to a comic book store or can I order all these off amazon?
You can get them digitally on Comixology, either in single issues or in collections if there is one available. You can buy collections of some series on Amazon, but it'll vary because some of the newer stuff (Ms. Marvel, She-Hulk) won't have any collections published yet. Comic shops may have single issues or collections, but depending on the shop that may not be a very pleasant experience for you.

e: The first Ms Marvel paperback is due in October: http://www.amazon.com/Ms-Marvel-Vol...el+vol+1+wilson

There are some older She-Hulk collections available which are also good...the covers get a little T&A at times, but the art inside does not reflect this at all.
http://www.amazon.com/She-Hulk-Dan-Slott-Complete-Collection/dp/078515440X/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1407183766&sr=8-3&keywords=she-hulk+vol+1

There doesn't seem to be a tpb of the current Charles Soule series up on Amazon yet, it'll probably be published later this year. You might be able to find single issues of it in a comic book store, or digital copies much, much easier on Comixology.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Aug 4, 2014

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

It's Claremont and Frank Miller, not Mark Millar. I can't even fathom how horrible a Claremont/Millar Wolverine book would be. But yeah, that mini is basically one of the best solo Wolverine things.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

The Cap and Bucky of the 50s were just a retcon years ago because the Cap comics were still published after World War II (fighting Commies), but when Lee/Kirby brought Cap back in the 60s those adventures obviously didn't happen to Steve and Bucky. A later writer picked up on that and just said that it was another Super Soldier, but that he became unstable. The 50s Bucky was Jack Monroe (Nomad), who appears early on in Brubaker's run. It's kind of all explained there.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Civil War: The Confession

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I didn't really like Waid's Hulk.

You should check out Planet Hulk though, it's brilliant.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Also the current X-Force series. You can't go wrong with Spurrier writing Dr. Nemesis.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Dunbar posted:

I've never read any X-books before, but I decided to jump into X-Men at #23 when G. Willow Wilson takes over because I'm a big Ms. Marvel fan. So I'll do my best to catch up on X-Men #1-22, but are there any other X-books that I should check out, either because they're quality or because they'll help fill in the universe? I'm looking for hopefully 1-3 series that will be a good addition to the X-Men book.
Don't catch up on X-Men #1-22 because it's not great really. I'm a big X-men fan, but really the only X-Men stuff I've enjoyed in the past 5 years is Si Spurrier's work, which is really peripheral to the X-Men. It is really good though. He did a run on X-Men Legacy Vol. 2 (24 issues) which is all collected in paperback format, and on Comixology and Marvel Unlimited. He's writing X-Force now, which is also really great. That's about 12 issues in so far.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

There's no reason why you should ever read Infinite Crisis.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Also, I've been digging through Kirby's FF run but I'm curious when it really elevates itself into the goofy-surreal stratosphere; i.e. at what issue do Doom and Galactus come in?
Doctor Doom shows up in a really early issue, #5 I think. The first Galactus storyline starts around #48 or #49 I think. I just got the first Lee/Kirby FF omni and I'm reading this stuff for the first time too. The first few issues are rough as hell, but it's funny how they include a whole bunch of elements which people really associate with Marvel.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I dunno, the Skrull story in FF #2 is pretty nuts

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Billy Gnosis posted:

Thanks. If I stick with just titles called "Captain America" will I still be able to follow the civil war plot without getting bogged down in it? (Even with marvel unlimited I find myself not wanting to deal with events baggage and stupidity. Though I liked the Captain America House of M issue surprisingly)
As others have said, yes, the Civil War tie-in issues of Brubaker's Cap are very seamless. He just continued his own plot threads during it. Also, what comes afterward is basically one of my favourite parts to that run, so you should definitely stick with it.

Gaz-L posted:

X-Factor is the Madrox series you're thinking of.
Yes, but there's also the Madrox mini which Peter David did with Pablo Raimondi before his X-Factor run. It's a fantastic little mini-series, and while you don't really need to read it to follow X-Factor, it is a nice little introduction to it.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Dunbar posted:

ps. Just announced yesterday, G. Willow Wilson, author of Ms. Marvel, will be writing a new book featuring an all-female Avengers team starting in May.
She's also doing the current arc on the all-female X-Men book (the one just titled X-Men).

Also announced this week is a Black Canary solo series by Brenden Fletcher, who is currently writing Gotham Academy with Becky Cloonan. That might also be a good bet since the main character is a teenage schoolgirl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

bagrada posted:

I just finished that, and his run on X-Force. Has Spurrier done anything else worth tracking down? Silver Surfer In Thy Name? I read his 40k novels back when they first came out and didn't realize it was the same guy until I hit up wikipedia (which mostly lists one shots and a bunch of stories in british anthologies?)
He wrote an X-Men mini-series before his X-Men: Legacy run called X-Club. It's based around the Science Club from Fraction/Gillen's Uncanny.