Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

thetoughestbean posted:

This might be a weird request but I’m putting together an endcap at work for cozy comics. I can think of a lot of manga that are cozy in theme, like Laid Back Camp, but are there any Western comics that are particularly cozy?

The Walt And Skeezix comic strip collections (especially the Sunday comics)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Woebin posted:

This might be too broad a request, but my girlfriend asked for comics written by women the other day. When pressed a bit for more specific desires, she added that they should have characters with some depth and that characters other than men should have agency. I'll editorialize the request a little and say that non-binary authors are also welcome.

I rattled off a couple of things that turned up in my memory - Lumberjanes, the current run of She-hulk, Rainbow Rowell's run on Runaways - but my memory is pretty bad at the best of times and I tend to read in my corner of the comics world. I'd appreciate any suggestions the thread can give based on this limited information, both for her and myself.

If it helps, some things about her: she's a queer and PoC immigrant (and this is core to her identity and interests) in her mid thirties, she's always making art in various forms (podcasting, drawing, making zines and music, writing) and she's very politically engaged. She reads a lot of theory around feminism and race, and thinks a lot about ways to build family and community beyond the norms and traditions in place. She speaks English and French and has Malagasy roots that I think she'd love to see reflected in media.

To be honest, I vaguely worry that if she just picked up and read the stuff I read she might dismiss it, as she's frankly a lot more literary than I am.

Does it have to be capeshit or pop culture stuff?

There's My Favourite Thing is Monsters, Julie Doucet's work, Jillian Tamaki, Kate Beaton, Trina Robbins, Emily Carroll, Lynda Barry, Joyce Farmer, Carol Tyler, Gabrielle Bell etc. etc.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Apr 23, 2024