Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Hello BSS, hello thread!

After being recommended Invincible elsewhere and getting 100 episodes it before being utterly disgusted at my (imo) wasted time, here is my hopefully not-too-generic request: Completed graphic novel where the plot/development clearly has direction, if not hashed out beforehand. Clear beginning, middle, end. Capes are fine I guess, but Extended Universe stuff (ie Avengers) unwanted. Superman Red Son, Sandman by Neil Gaiman, Locke & Key, Transmetropolitan are examples in descending order of things I loved and felt had direction.

Hopefully that's not too vague? Can narrow it down if I'm being dumb. Thanks in advance!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Thank you for the recommendations everyone! We're in lockdown again locally but I'm putting holds on what few things the local library will have when we reopen. Backlogs are a good problem to have.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

El Grillo posted:

Sorry if this isn't the place to ask... I've never bought a graphic novel or comic before (think I've only even read Watchmen and V, to be honest) but I want to read Sandman before watching the series. Is this the edition I should buy? https://www.bookdepository.com/Sandman-Neil-Gaiman/9781401299323?ref=grid-view&qid=1661267880038&sr=1-16
...and is there a better place to get it than BookDepository? I tend to prefer not to buy stuff off Amazon.

If you're just looking to poke your head in, might I suggest the library? I feel like an rear end in a top hat suggesting it, but unless you're already a fan the idea of shelling out for a comic (and a decently long one, at that) seems ill advised. I know I've been burned by it. Even if the first Sandman volume is booked out just grab a random episode as it won't spoil anything and will tell you about the vibe of the series.

Maybe I'm just channeling my broke-Uni-student-living-in-free-spaces vibes, tho.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

The Voice of Labor posted:

it isn't like going to the watchmen and being like, where's the squid yo?

The squid was fine, if a bit out of left field, and removing it for the movie was a solid improvement. I just view it as Alan Moore running off-leash for a bit.

Sandman was retroactively acknowledged to be good only halfway through it's run, it'll be interesting to hear if the tv adaptation holds its own once things pick up.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
It doesn't have to be a psychic squid. It could have been any mundane megalomaniac project, which is what it got changed to. The entire setting was built around "Earth, but one actual superhero", then Moore does his special thing where he sounds like a person off their meds and suddenly psychics and empaths become real at the 99th percentile of the page count. So yea, they tweaked it so that all the comedian stuff still happened (but mostly offscreen, due to time constraints) and the big conspiracy reveal happens anyways, but no squid.

edit: I suppose the worst thing you could say about it was that it lessens the impact/self-determination of Manhatten's final choice, but that's pretty dang minor compared to trying to get audiences to swallow a 200-ton cephalopod.

double edit:vvvv But it worked! That's the wonderful thing about writing fiction, you can decide who's right and how things work. In the comic, the entire world unifies over an alien, while in the movie the entire world unifies over the betrayal of it's local superman. They bought it hook line and sinker either way; six one way half a doz another.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Aug 24, 2022

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
It's western, but Transmetropolitan is mostly slice of future-city life stuff interspaced with plot.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Chin Strap posted:

The trans alien stuff?

I re-read it recently and that arc seemed fine. It's probably some throwaway line somewhere using a slur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

TorpedoFish posted:

I like dogs and want to read dumb superhero comics that have dogs. The more dog centric the better. Cats and other animals are acceptable, but I strongly prefer a canine focus.

We3 comic, it's a short standalone. Highly acclaimed & recommended.

edit:vv Or just someone who didn't read the previous pages very well, it's already been recommended I see.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Aug 23, 2023