Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

My current faves are:

8 Billion Genies: everyone on earth gets one wish. Hijinx ensue.

Do a Powerbomb: The daughter of the most famous female Japanese wrestler at the time sees her mom break her neck and die in the ring. The other wrestler involved and her have a rough 15ish years. They get the chance to go through an intergalactic wrestling tournament, and everywhere else wrestling is a real combat sport, but earth has preplanned theatrical pro wrestling, They decide to fight God and bring the mom back. It's finished up recently.

The X line at Marvel: Everybody's loving and fighting. They have cured death for mutants, and formed a nation and other escalating things from there.

Nightwing: I haven't liked Pete Spider-Man books in over a decade other than an arc here and there. Nightwing is the best Spider-Man style book that's been out in a very long time. Nightwing is grounded and has relationships. He's also pals with Superman. The nicest dude in DC is arguably the best book they're putting out now. The art is great too. Imagine Fraction's Hawkeye, but Nightwing is a success instead of a disaster.

Zdarsky's Daredevil run and the other related books he writes. Daredevil is almost always a top tier book, and he's maintaining the tradition. Zdarsky writes a really good Batman too. He's over red batman and black daredevil and they are very different books. Maybe the current big 2's best writer right now.

If you like Star Trek there's a pretty good new series just called Star Trek and it's a sequel of sorts to DS9.

If you want nightmares I also recently read Stray Dogs and it was fantastic but also Jesus Christ man, that's hosed up. The Disneyesque art adds a lot to it too.

I'm trapped at home with an autoimmune disorder. I read a ton of comics and have the Marvel and DC services. Can't go wrong with either, imo.

Almost forgot Love Everlasting: A woman keeps finding herself in various cliched check out line romance stories. She either gets married or something bad happens. No matter what happens, at the moment she accepts or rejects the proposal a new story begins. The stories depicted as a 50s style melodrama but occasionally she wakes up and fights back.

Lucifunk fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Dec 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

I'd suggest Daredevil from Waid's run to Soule's and into Zdarsky. Honestly, with the exception of the Shadowland story, you could start on the Bendis run and have over a decade of strong comics to read almost the whole way through. It is mostly street level with a few exceptions, and there are usually strong supporting casts as well.

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I know kiminewt said no DC, but the BEST DC book right now is an absolutely spot-on perfect street level book: Nightwing by Tom Taylor and Bruno Redondo. I can't recommend it highly enough.

This is such a great book. The vibe is what I think has been missing for 2 decades now in Spider-Man. Just a dude helping his neighborhood out, he's got a dog and a steady girlfriend. I don't know of any Tom Taylor book that isn't excellent. Marvel or DC.

Regarding DC overall, over the past few years a lot of the talent Marvel built up during the time kiminewt stopped following comics, like Fraction's Hawkeye, Brubaker's Captain America, etc. has moved over to DC and creator owned now. I've been a Marvel over DC guy since I was a kid. In my opinion DC is putting out the stronger lineup these days.

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

On the DC side Nightwing has Bitewing.

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

Uthor posted:

I haven't read this, but I normally see it recommended with warnings that it will hit your feelings.

100% One of the most disturbing things I've read in at least one part of the book.

Same with WE3 or Stray Dogs if they're recommended.

They are about animals, but probably not in the way you're looking for. Stray Dogs also hosed me up a bit in parts. I'm a huge softy for dogs and spent summers at my grandpa's farm as a kid, so I'm not crazy about animal harm, even fictional. All three books ARE excellent though.

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

I'm starting a pull box for the first time in years. I don't really need any Big 2 unless it's just that I want to display the cover. I'm blanking on what to put on it. I have subs to both online services

I really want to support this store. It has a mirror universe Simpson's comic book guy who works there and was one of the nicest comic store workers I've ever met. He heard my wife wasn't big into comics so he found her a stack of 99 cent Star Trek novels, and a working Picard Enterprise toy from the 90s. Also minority owned which I try to support, especially in this space.

Too much of my collection is in storage after a move to dig through. So far I've got Love Everlasting, and the Sisko focused Star Trek series, but most of the books I like these days are short runs. I also haven't been in any comic shops very much at all, and that's just been since January this year. Other recent indies I really liked were Deep Cuts, Do A Powerbomb, and 8 Billion Genies.

Someone mentioned some Cyberpunk series and a Blade Runner book. I like grounded scifi, scifi like The Expanse, The Peripheral, shows like that. More serious than something fun like Guardians of the Galaxy. Love Everlasting is my favorite book currently, so I also like relationships and romance books. They don't have to be straight hetero or anything either, I'm fine with anything good. Even wild rear end romcoms like Sunstone and Mr and Mrs X. I have particular tastes that I'd like, but open to most anything. Not big on t&a stuff, it just always seems corny and desperate.

That said, I keep hearing about Gun Honey and Brubaker endorses it as good pulp noir (another fave style of mine and a fave writer) but it may just be guns and boobs. I also like revenge stories. I love the Parker adaptions and Criminal. Ninjas are always rad, I was an early 80s kid.

Also not a huge manga fan, but not opposed to something that fits the bill. I'm almost 50 and it generally just seems to be aimed at younger readers and I often don't enjoy the art styles. I'm almost 50 and it just doesn't appeal to me around 95% of the time. An example I like in an anime form is Way of the Househusband.

That's a vague idea of what I'd like to jump into, but I will look into any other suggestions outside of my main interests also. I'll try anything once.

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

Danknificent posted:

I also justify some of my irresponsible purchases by saying that I want to support my local store. It's valid!

The Blade Runner book is in the final (allegedly) arc of its run. The previous runs were 12 issues, so there are 7 left in 2039. I think it's pretty good quality, personally. It kind of finds its feet in 2019, 2029 is solid, and 2039 has been more of the same.

Thanks for the info, that sounds perfect.

thetoughestbean posted:

It’s a bit out of left field but you might enjoy Saint Young Men. It’s about Jesus and Buddha being unemployed losers in Tokyo

That sounds rad I'll look into it too. Having been one, I also like dirtbag stories.

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

The worst books featuring animals for someone looking for more fun or lighthearted animal books are We3, Beasts of Burden, and Stray Dogs. There may be others, qnd all 3 are excellent books, but tough reads for animal lovers.

If you are subscribed to Marvel Unlimited, there are several good animal based books that are more on the fun side. Gator Loki, It's Jeff, and I know I'm forgetting several others. I saw one involving a cat last week. There are at least 3 or 4 others at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

DCU has started putting collected volumes together in some of their books. I know I've seen them in Batman and Nightwing. Trouble is, sometimes the Read Next veers off track when one appears in the reading list. DCU is a pretty good deal if you want to read a lot of stuff. The highest tier is only a month behind and a lot of Wildstorm stuff is appearing along with Vertigo being added more quickly than before. Hell I got a physical special edition of the Death of Superman trade for subscribers only for free for being a subscriber. They gave out game codes for Fortnite and Gotham Knights too. Imo it's worth it if you don't mind not owning the physical books if you're looking at doing a lot of reading.