Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Good current DC books to consider if you're making a list, OP.

All Charles Soule comics: Red Lanterns, Swamp Thing, Superman/Wonder Woman.
Action Comics (Pak)
Green Arrow (Lemire)
Animal Man
Batman, Batman and ...
Wonder Woman.

bobkatt013 posted:

then its Finch time

That's a dirty, untrue rumor!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

For gothic, I've heard good things about Peter Milligan's current Shadowman series.
For sci-fi there's quite a lot of good series' running. Saga, Black Science which is a crazy, dark time/dimension travel science team book, The Wake from Scott Snyder, Trillium from Jeff Lemire, and I guess you could count The Manhattan Projects. I love Manhattan Projects. It's by Jonathan Hickman, who's also heading up the Avengers stuff at Marvel, about how the scientists who were brought together to create the atomic bomb were really there for more secret insane mad science projects. Completely nuts and really fun. Free first issue to try here http://www.comixology.com/The-Manhattan-Projects-1/digital-comic/21798.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Feb 28, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

SpaceWolfPurrp posted:

Just read "What's So Funny About Truth, Justice & the American Way?" and was wondering if there are any good one-shot Superman comics, where the entire story takes place in one issue. I'm probably going to get "Whatever happened to the Man Of Tomorrow" and "For the Man Who Has Everything" so are there any other good one-shot comics like those?

Also, did Superman ever appear in Ostrander's Suicide Squad?

Have you checked out the digital comic? http://www.comixology.com/Adventures-of-Superman-2013/comics-series/10176
They're usually three issue runs that add up to one print comic's worth of story per creator. I've only checked out a bit of the Batman version, but I recall people praising it often.

Also, if you didn't know, "What's So Funny About Truth, Justice & the American Way?" had a follow up in JLA #100 which then led up to the Justice League Elite series, and it was all by Joe Kelly and Doug Mahnke.

edit: Issues #0, 9 and 13 from Grant Morrison's Action Comics are pretty stand-alone and probably the best issues from the series.

#0 is about a boy that steals Superman's cape when he's knocked unconscious early in his career.
#9 follows the president of an alternate world America, who happens to be their Superman as he discovers even more Multiverse Supermen.
#13 is a Halloween issue where Superman gets trapped in his Phantom Zone projector and helped by Krypto, who'd been trapped there since Krypton blew up.

They have hooks into the main story of the series, but not in ways that effect them too much as one shot reads.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Feb 28, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

SpaceWolfPurrp posted:

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I've already seen the Red Son motion comic so I don't feel the need to experience it again despite how awesome it is. The digital comic looks great though, I've been wary of anything DC puts out since New 52 but this looks like it doesn't take place in any kind of continuity which is good.

Thanks again guys.

If you're interested in Superman, I'd recommend Greg Pak's new run on Action from #25. It's a lot of fun and just reads like a good ol' Superman Supermanning, nothing too involved in whatever else is going on (apart from the first issue being tied in to Batman's origin event, but it was just a great, simple Supermanny story too.)

e: You read All-Star Superman? If not, proceed directly.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm loving She-Hulk by my man Charles Soule. That's only two issues old.
e: Ms Marvel #1 was kinda neat too. That's just about to get a second issue.

This ain't Marvel, but The Wake from Vertigo is on #6 out of just 10 issues. You could pick up the first five in a collection.
https://www.comixology.com/The-Wake/comics-series/10179 Check out the great preview art.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 7, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

If Charles Soule was actually a pseudonym, like a reverse Alan Smithee, that'd explain some things.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's fantastic. Snyder's best comic and all on sale digitally till the 14th.

https://www.comixology.com/American-Vampire-Sale/page/1025

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yeah. Half the reason I'm bummed about Animal Man ending is that his run illustrating it was quite short.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Manhattan Projects is dark and hilarious. It gets very gory, but it's perpetrated by (real life historic) dorky mad scientists, not roided muscle dudes.

First issue is free on Comixology.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Hubbardologist posted:

Bit of an odd request here; are there any comics from and/or about life in the Middle East? I've not read Persepolis, but I think that would be on the cusp of what I'm looking for. However, I'm looking for something with a twist - an element of sci-fi or alternate history or noir, maybe.

Also, on a lark I bought the comixology SXSW bundle -- any recommendations of where to start with this gargantuan collection?

I just started with The Bunker and The Mire, which were great. Too Much Coffee Man is a collection of a classic 90s strip, as I understand. Probably worth trying.

I'm gonna try and read five a day and get through all of it.

I dunno about something for the Middle East, but Grant Morrison did a three issue comic Vimanarama http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vimanarama which is a 'Jack Kirby-ish' take on Indian myths, starring a UK Muslim. Might be something like what you're looking for. I need to read it, myself.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Mar 10, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Senor Candle posted:

I just want to recommend anyone who likes fun lighthearted comics NEEDS to read Bandette if you haven't already. It is utterly fantastic.

Absolutely seconded.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Brocktoon posted:

(Oh, and DC 1mil)

Have you read the rest of Morrison's JLA?

Crisis on Infinite Earths is fun just for the history and it involving about 500 characters.

Do not do Zero Hour.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 11, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Sphinx posted:

New Avengers finale?

You mean before the Marvel NOW! Hickman series? Here's what I thought of the crossovers...
Secret Invasion sucks.
Dark Reign/Seige, I found fun. It doesn't have an big event miniseries for Dark Reign. That was just the status quo leading up to Seige, but I enjoyed Dark Avengers as well as Secret Warriors, Iron Man, Remender's Punisher and the start of Jonathan Hickman's FF (the Dark Reign: Fantastic Four miniseries) during it.
Fear Itself sucked.
AvsX sucked.
Age of Ultron sucked.
Infinity was great! Hickmania!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 12, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Are ya gonna put any non-Marvel recs in the OP?

e: Just got reminded all the Stray Bullets stuff is out tomorrow. There's a recommendation. Buy the hell out of this https://imagecomics.com/comics/releases/stray-bullets-the-uber-alles-edition-tp

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Mar 12, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's black and white, but you might want to check out Usagi Yojimbo.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usagi_Yojimbo
https://digital.darkhorse.com/browse/series/12/

e: Not manga. It's an American comic.
And I've never read any, myself. It's been running for 30 years, so I'm not sure where a good jumping on point would be.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Mar 13, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The series hasn't started yet. Just two issues from Matt Fraction that were meant to lead up to the ongoing 'Inhuman' that he bailed on. I'm excited for it though. Charles Soule (Swamp Thing, She-Hulk, Red Lanterns) is taking it over and he's just great.

The new Ms Marvel emerged from one of those Inhuman pods with her powers. Dunno if that'll be that for a tie-in, but the first issue was good.

If you want to hop back in the mean time, you could start with the Paul Jenkins/Jae Lee series http://www.amazon.com/Inhumans-Paul-Jenkins-Jae-Lee/dp/0785184740/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394859897&sr=8-1&keywords=inhumans+jae+lee
Then into the cosmic stuff (mainly War of Kings, I think. I haven't caught up on all of that.) and Hickman's FF.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Mar 15, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

sleepingbuddha posted:

Anything I should read before I start Remender's Uncanny X-Force?

It uses a lot of old concepts, so you could read up on Fantomex, Apocalypse/Archangel, Age of Apocalypse, Psylocke's relationship to the Captain Britain world and a pile more.
Seems like someone totally up to date on X-Men history would be rewarded, but except for knowing about Fantomex from Morrison's New X-men, I went in cold on most of it and I think it was fine. I might have had to read some wiki about Captain Britain.

Veg posted:

Remenders X-Force omnibus releases tomorrow in my country, general consensus? what are some themes it explores? if I like ______ series I would also like Uncanny X-Force?

For reference, I'm newer to comics and my favourite runs are Millers DD, Snyders Batman and Lemires Green Arrow.

If you like good comics, you'll like it.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Mar 16, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

SMP posted:

Thanks, I picked up v6 now since it's cheap. Hopefully v5 will go on sale closer to when the movie releases. Is there a good goon-recommended reading order around? I know next to nothing about the dude except what I saw in the movies & cultural osmosis.

You could read the older run now on Marvel Unlimited. If you do it within a three month subscription, it'd be way cheaper than buying them all at a dollar in a possible future sale.

EDIT: There's an Animal Man sale on right now. I recommend you get everything from the Grant Morrison and Jeff Lemire pile.
https://www.comixology.com/Animal-Man-Sale/page/1195

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Mar 18, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Man-In-Madden posted:

Are any of the DC Villains one-shots recommended for good self-contained stories? I've only read Count Vertigo since I already read Green Arrow and I'm thinking of picking up the Zod and Lex ones since I'm bout to catch up on the Greg Pak run of Action but I'd be down to pick up some more.

Zod and Doomsday for Pak, Parasite for Aaron Kruder (who does the great art for Pak's Action) and Dial E is the actual last issue of Dial H but can be stand-alone and has an awesome new artist for every page (read Dial H though!)

Arcane, Riddler and Secret Society were also good, but they really tie-in to their larger things, Swamp Thing, Zero Year and Forever Evil.

Even though I've got a boner for Soule comics, I didn't think Lex was any good.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 18, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Man-In-Madden posted:

Looks like I'll be picking up those first four then, thanks!

e: I noticed Pak also wrote the Darkseid issue but you're not recommending it. Is it because its bad or does it tie in too much to other stuff too?

I'd give it a go. It was a very different origin take that pissed people off, but I can't recall the quality of the story.
I think it referred to the first arc of Justice League a little.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Mar 19, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Man-In-Madden posted:

Cool, I picked it up so we'll see. I picked up the Charles Soule run on Swamp Thing (including Arcane) thanks in part to your recommendation so thanks a lot!

Cool. It's excellent, but if you've not followed Snyder's run you might be lost on the Arcane issue. It's a capper to what happened there instead of tying into the current run. Soule's Swamp Thing actually picks up pretty fresh and doesn't require back-reading.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Mar 19, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

O Hanraha-hanrahan posted:

Read that new Tales of Honor comic, the one based on the Honor Harrington stories by David Weber. Writing isn't great, art is bland. However, it is sci-fi with big spaceships and lasers, which I haven't seen a lot of in comics. Anything else out there along those lines which isn't Star Trek/Wars related?

Jonathan Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers led up to Infinity which was big on the dozens of space ships shootin' lasers at each other and robot aliens. Also, his New Avengers is pretty dark, or at least heavy and bleak.

e: You could try Letter 44 which is about the new US president inheriting a secret mission where a team of astronauts are attempting to contact a massive alien craft which is cloaked near Earth. That's starting to get really crazy, and it's by Charles Soule who's killing it beyond what's necessary on, like eight mainstream comics at once.

ee: Definitely backing the post down there about Rick Remender's Uncanny X-Force for dark superheroes. It's excellent. He's continued the story into his current Uncanny Avengers, where things recently got to such a state that the Earth blew up!
Look for Remender's series. The new volume of Uncanny X-Force from a different author has nothing to do with it.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Mar 24, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

O Hanraha-hanrahan posted:

I've got Manhattan Projects, it's great, and I'm following East of West too, which is also great. Hickman is one of my favourite writers at the moment. He did an awesome job on The Ultimates for a while, that Reed Richards plotline and the apocalyptic direction the whole universe went in was nuts.

If you haven't, y'should totally check out his Avengers. If you want apocalyptic, in New Avengers there's been a constant threat of multi-dimentional Earths crashing into each other and Infinity was the best big event they've had in about forever.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 24, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Saeku posted:

I'm just getting into superhero comics. The ones I like most have a surreal/trippy side -- read pretty much everything by Peter Milligan and Grant Morrison and recently enjoyed the New 52 Animal Man and Dial H. Shade: the Changing Man is the perfect example of the kind of thing I want. Any recs in the same vein?

Jack Kirby's Fourth World.
http://www.amazon.com/Jack-Kirbys-F...k+kirby+omnibus

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

There's a Geoff Johns sale on at Comixology.
https://www.comixology.com/Aquaman-by-Geoff-Johns-Sale/page/1395

I've already ordered the JSA omnibus, so how was his Hawkman?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I liked Superman and the Legion of Superheroes a lot, but it's not in the sale.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

With the modern Geoff Johns era?
Start with the Green Lantern Rebirth miniseries (which is pretty confusing in itself, trying to re-introduce Hal who'd been The Specter for years.)
Then his whole Green Lantern run through to the New 52 series up to #20 where he left.
That includes lots of crossovers with Green Lantern Corps and Emerald Warriors, Blackest Night, so it's probably way easier to read in trades that group all that stuff together, which are...

Green Lantern Rebirth, No Fear, Revenge of the Green Lanterns, Wanted: Hal Jordan, Sinestro Corps War, Secret Origin, Rage of the Red Lanterns, Agent Orange, Blackest Night + Green Lantern: Blackest Night (the main BN miniseries and GL issues running in-between are in different trades), GL: Brightest Day (just the GL issues. You don't need to read the actual Brightest Day series), War of the Green Lanterns.
New volume:
Sinestro, Revenge of the Black Hand, The End.

You could also get into reading Green Lantern Corps at the same time. I usually liked it more than the main GL. Starts with 'GLC: Recharge', then the trade volumes.

From #21 of the N52 series there are new writers across the board with a new status quo. You could jump on there, but it's best you do the Johns stuff.
I think the new GL is terrible, but from #21 Red Lanterns got great (It's written by the guy who's also doing Swamp Thing and She-Hulk, which are great too.)

There's also the 70's Green Lantern/Green Arrow team-up that got all up in the social issues of the day, which is classic.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Apr 7, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Thirding Thor

The opening arc from the new volume of Captain America (Castaway in Dimension Z) is amazing.

The current Avengers/New Avengers series' aren't close to as light hearted as the movie was, but it's some good, heady, conceptual sci-fi stuff.

For some great comic reading, I'd recommend going through Jonathan Hickman's Fantastic Four, then Matt (Hawkeye) Fraction's 'FF' (meaning FF, not Fantastic Four. FF is a side book to Fantastic Four but it barely crosses over and is much better.)
You could jump right into Fraction's FF. It's ridiculous fun, but Hickman's stuff was amazing too and sets up a lot of the characters.

Also, even though it gets way dark, I gotta rec Rick Remender(Cap America)'s Uncanny X-Force from a few years ago. I think it's the best series Marvel has published in recent history.
There's a new volume of it from another writer. Forget about that.

e: And Ultimate Spider-Man. It's in another universe, but is 100% the best Spider-Man going. You could pick it up from when the main character changed http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Comi...mate+Spider-man

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Apr 13, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Can anyone recommend some really good recent miniseries or one-shots, or any generally stand-alone stories? A chain of local comic shops has one day a year where you can bring them any unwanted comics for $2 in back issue credit (up to four per store, so $8 in free back issues per store). I only buy trades and I'm done with binding, so I'm just interested in cool stuff to read. Last year I picked up the singles of Before Watchmen: Minutemen (liked it) and First Wave (hated it).

Is Five Ghosts any good? I'm just looking for things where I might get a complete, satisfying story if I end up with four or six individual issues.

Like, the last couple years?

Batman/Superman's recent Annual is a one-shot, and pretty good. Issues 1-4 are also a good stand-alone story with stunning art.
That's written by Greg Pak's who also recently finished his first arc on Action Comics (25-29) which is even better and requires nothing going in. It leaves some stuff hanging at the end for future stories, but it should work. The two series don't tie-in at all, btw.

Thor: God of Thunder's opening year of story is completely isolated and amazing, but 11 issues might be too much. I hope not. It's the best.

edit: Trillium! I just read that in one go. It's eight issues, but one complete thing, all by itself. A time traveling sci-fi love story from Jeff (Sweet Tooth, Animal Man) Lemire that you have to read upside down and back to front. It's a great time.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Apr 17, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Franchescanado posted:

I'm sure this came up in the old thread, but I'll re-ask it just in case.

I've never had an interest in DC characters as a whole. After playing through Injustice, that's changed. Are there any good DC Universe stories that I would like that includes a large cast of heroes and villians like Injustice?

Also, what's are some good Flash arcs and Aquaman arcs?

Do what's in the first reply, then for Aquaman start the current series at #1. It's pretty good.

Earth 2, you might want to read if you're getting on the Injustice series just because it's been taken over by the Injustice comic's writer and has become very Injustice-y, and is a pretty neat ensemble book anyway.
It's on an alternate world where their Superman/Batman/Wonder Woman trinity had died prior to the series starting.

The current Justice League series has not been great, except during an Aquaman crossover, and you'll get those issues in the Aquaman collections anyway.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Without going into comics from the 60's, Geoff Johns had an arc part way through his run called 'Secret Origin' which detailed Hal and Sinestro's first patrols together.
You could start with that, then go back to the beginning of Geoff's run with Green Lantern Rebirth to see the return of Sinestro (and Hal for that matter), then work your way through to the Sinestro Corps War event.
Then there's Sinestro taking over as primary Green Lantern in the beginning of the New 52 series. It's a long run inbetween, but maybe you'll be into the series enough to get through it all.

e: Hey. That Secret Origin arc is on sale right now. https://www.comixology.com/Secret-Origin-Sale/page/1613

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Apr 22, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

There's something exactly like that http://www.amazon.com/Jack-Kirbys-O-M-C-Corps/dp/1401240429/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=&qid=

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Sistergodiva posted:

So I just finished Batman - Hush and it was loving awesome. Also loved the long halloween. Is there anything else like this? I don't know a lot of the Batman badguys so Hush was awesome in that it gave backstory and stuff every time someone was introduced. Would be awesome with something that either has a lot of different bad guys or maybe go into more detail about some of them. I've only really read through Batman: Year one, The Dark Knight Returns, the long halloween and Hush, it's just so hard to choose between everything.

Would also be nice to read something that gave a bit of backstory on the different Robins and Batgirl and stuff, since I mix up those a lot, though I'm not really sure I would like something that is centered on one of them instead of Batman, but if there is anything I could give it a try.

There's a digital sale on right now for Robin and Batgirl Year One miniseries. https://www.comixology.com/Secret-Origin-Sale/page/1613

There was another Hush storyline collected in 'Heart of Hush'.

The current awesome 'Zero Year' storyline in Batman has been a year long run involving The Riddler as Batman and Gotham's first major foe. That started in #21 and this will be it's first trade http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Vol-Zero-Year-Secret-City/dp/1401245080

There isn't a total focus on villains, but diving into Grant Morrison's years long run may give you the best lot of Batman stories you'll ever read. The trades start from 'Batman and Son'. Here's a reading list: http://www.amazon.com/Grant-Morrisons-Batman-Run/lm/R5KPZVDQOS8L1 (you can skip 1,2,4 and maybe 7)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 24, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Sistergodiva posted:

Thanks! I've never really been into comics, so no idea how it works, but a trade is like a collection right? And there are several different versions of the comic running at one time? That list seems awesome, gonna see if amazon.com ships to Sweden, I know they don't ship videogames etc, but maybe comics are ok.

There's gotta be a Swedish online book seller that will get you collections locally.
If all fails and you have a tablet, that stuff is all available digitally at https://www.comixology.com

Since 1940 there have always been more than one Batman book with different creative teams telling their different Bat stories at the same time, so while the main book has been set in the past for a year, a couple of others are telling the current day stuff. With the weekly series that just started, there might be too much Batman at the moment.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 24, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Sistergodiva posted:

Is there any other superhero I should get into if I like Batman?

I haven't actually read into it, but the new Moon Knight series from Marvel is reportedly awesome https://www.comixology.com/Moon-Knight-2014/comics-series/15006

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Moai Ou posted:

any other good crime stuff?

Stray Bullets!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stray_Bullets
Started in 1995, put on hiatus with one issue to go in 2005 and just resurrected this year by Image for that final comic and a new series.
It was only re-issued in an enormous 1200 page tome https://imagecomics.com/comics/releases/stray-bullets-the-uber-alles-edition-tp (as well as digital single issues on Comixology), so that's a commitment, but it's so great.

There are old, way out of print smaller collections if you can find em.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Knight and Squire and Demon Knights were good.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Uncanny X-Force from Rick Remender.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

I'm reading through Grant Morrison's original run of Animal Man and loving it. Is the rest of the comic worth reading after he stopped writing it?

You should jump to the just completed series of Animal Man by Jeff Lemire.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Apr 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

sporklift posted:

So I have the three Brubaker Captain America Omnis and it seems unlikely that a fourth is coming out. What trades do I need to complete the run?

Two Americas
No Escape
The Trial of Captain America
Prisoner of War

Then there's two trades of 'Captain America and Bucky', four trades of Vol. 6 and the 'Steve Rogers: Super Soldier' miniseries