Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Franchescanado posted:

what else by Remender is worth reading?

In addition to above posts,
Uncanny Avengers is pretty much the sequel to UXF, so that. The first arc wasn't great, but it gets really great and pretty UXF'y from #6, bringing in all that Apocalypse stuff and getting Acuna on art.
The first arc of his new Captain America was a blast.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

If you want some new fifty two Constantine, there's an awesome two-parter in Charles Soule's Swamp Thing that he was in. #22-23.
It's about a town possessed by supernatural whiskey that grows on a tree. Constantine is under the spell and declares himself king with a broken bottle for a crown. It's fuckin' great.

e: And Jeff Lemire's run on Justice League Dark #0,9-23 wasn't a bad NuConstantine featured comic (though it does end out as chapters in Trinity War.)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 12, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

fozzy fosbourne posted:

There is a sale on DC's 52 on comixology. For someone who doesn't read much DC, is this worth checking out?

Yes. Without question. It's brilliant.

I can't remember if World War 3 is totally necessary. I think it just fleshes out a big battle at the end that the series sort of skips over.
Never read Four Horsemen, but I remember liking Black Adam. Think it takes place after 52.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:57 on May 13, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Make sure you read X-Force #116-129 before X-Statix.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

How about the comic version of Batman and Son? http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Son-New-Edition/dp/1401244025/ref=sr_sp-atf_title_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400279229&sr=8-1&keywords=batman+and+son
It's the start of Grant Morrison's amazing run.
If you keep reading for a few trades past that, Dick Grayson takes a turn at being Batman and it gets really fun.
e: And after that it turns into Batman Incorporated, which is about a world wide network of bat heroes Bruce establishes and teams up with. It's great.

There's a Bat-cow.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 16, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Demon Knights and Joe the Barbarian are good. Those fit?

Saga?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 19, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

icantfindaname posted:

So what run should I read as someone completely new to comic books? Just pick one and go? As of now I'm going to read the original run of Deadpool, for pretty much no reason other than I know of that character. Any better suggestions?

For superheroes, the Marvel and DC books since 2011 & 2012 have been on (mostly) new reader friendly volumes and they're all pretty young still, so you can pick a character and go back to their book's last #1. Plus, most are on some of their best runs in ages (some are definitely not, ie. Iron Man, Justice League)

Thor: https://www.comixology.com/Thor-God-of-Thunder/comics-series/9009
Batman: https://www.comixology.com/Batman-2011/comics-series/6644
Deadpool: https://www.comixology.com/Deadpool-Vol-4/comics-series/9014
etc.

If you're into digital, Marvel has a subscription service which would be the cheapest way to try stuff out.
https://marvel.com/comics/unlimited

edit: Deadpool was in the absolute best team book in years, Rick Remender's Uncanny X-Force. Read the poo poo out of that!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:24 on May 20, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

You might dig Brian Azzarello's current Wonder Woman series which is all about her extended family of deities and their in-fighting.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Jump right into Aaron's current series.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

hadji murad posted:

Also I want to reread the JMS stuff, what's the reading order?

Thor Vol.3 1-12, 600-603, Giant Size Thor Finale.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Uthor posted:

Oh, they absolutely gently caress it up, but first:

Check out Batwoman: Elegy. It's by Greg Rucka and JH Williams III and directly leads into the New 52 run. It's good and self contained.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1401231462?cache=d71c7c10e3a6f150f6491bdb53becbff&pi=SY200_QL40&qid=1400877001&sr=8-1#ref=mp_s_a_1_1

Then, JH Williams III continues the story with New 52 and it's good, but then gets tired of DC editorial messing with his story lines and decides to leave after wrapping up the last arc. DC instead fires him 2-3 issue before the arc ends and the story isn't resolved. I stopped reading at that point.

It's resolved in the new Annual.
I didn't like his first few issues, and it's not the same, but the new guy is growing on me.

It's definitely worth going through. There are moments that are right up there with Elegy, like the Wonder Woman team-up.

Also, books to help you care: Action Comics 25+ from Gregg Pak and everything by Charles Soule (including She-Hulk over at Marvel.) Those two should craft the entire DC Universe. They're making a really decent thing out of a frickin' Doomsday event, and Red Lanterns got turned into one of the best books. They're nuts.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 23, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

X-Force #116-129, X-Statix #1-26, Wolverine/Doop #1-2 all contained in the X-Statix Omnibus you're about to buy http://www.amazon.com/X-Statix-Omnibus-Peter-Milligan/dp/0785158448/ref=sr_sp-atf_title_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400992806&sr=8-1&keywords=x-statix

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Transmetropolitan is on sale, incidentally.
https://www.comixology.com/Transmetropolitan-Sale/page/2055

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 15:03 on May 30, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I haven't read it, but Ed Brubaker's The Marvels Project was about those original dudes, right? Wasn't that good?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Some of the Avengers tie-ins during Secret Invasion are well worth reading because they set up Secret Warriors :)

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Lawen posted:

I still can't stand the Fantastic Four.

What have you tried?
If you've tried Jonathan Hickman's series, then I dunno what to tell ya, but if you haven't...

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Lawen posted:

Actually, I mostly liked the 4 run where they got kicked out of the Baxter Building and had to get day jobs. I've hated pretty much everything else I've read but I'm only caught up to 2005. I really like Hickman's Image stuff though so you've given me hope.

When you're up to the Dark Reign stuff, hop on Dark Reign: Fantastic Four, which is where Hickman starts.
The general consensus seems to be to skip right over Mark Millar's run which preceeds Hickman's. I did, so I can't actually speak to it.
I know there were overhanging concepts of Millar's that Hickman wrapped up, but I don't remember minding it too much.

After Hickman, Matt Fraction got Fantastic Four and FF. Fantastic Four did nothing for me, but 'FF', featuring a reserve team while the F4 were in space was amazing, and you can just skip right over the main series.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

MantisToboggan posted:

I want to get more into Marvel, but I don't know where to start. I've read plenty of Ultimate comics, but not much of the 616 universe, so I would appreciate it if you guys could recommend some good arcs/collections that are fairly recent, but don't rely too much on knowing the whole history of the Marvel universe. I'm specifically interested in Spider-Man, X-Men, and the Avengers, but I'm willing to expand my horizons.

Most of the series relaunched two years ago with new reader friendly volumes, so you can pretty much pick any character or team of interest and start on their last #1 without worrying about continuity.

That was called "Marvel NOW!" and just recently they've done a second round called "All-New Marvel NOW!'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Now

Getting a subscription here: https://marvel.com/unlimited/ is a great, cheap way to try them out.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Do you know about Uncanny Avengers?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Geektox posted:

Reading it now, and it's not exactly what I'm looking for, although it does seem pretty good so I'll follow it. It's really depressing so far.

I should add that Uncanny X-Force doesn't fit my criteria for "funny and serious", I asked for that because I need a bit of a palette cleanser

I just mentioned it because it's the extension of UXF, if you wanted any more of that. It gets more tied-in, but yeah. There's not much of a focus on humor without Deadpool on the team.
Try Nextwave: Agents of HATE, Superior Foes of Spiderman and current Ms. Marvel.

As for events, Infinity was pretty great. You'll need to read all of Hickman's Avengers and New Avengers up to that point, but I thought it was really successful.

e: How about DC's Dial H? It's about a fat schlub who chances on a telephone dial that transforms him into random bizarre superheroes.
It's really odd, creepy and heady, and has great stuff like the main character being trapped in a racist caricature

and a hero named Open Window Man who is given a pretty touching issue helping a child from a planet of living chalk drawings.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jun 12, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

A Tin Of Beans posted:

What should I read if I want to know more about Corsair? I've got Cyclops #1 and #2 (which I still need to read ...), and I read the All-New X-Men/GotG crossover event, and I want to know more about this crazy space dad. Any important runs/issues I should be looking at?

The Starjammers were in Ed Brubaker's run on Uncanny X-Men, but it wasn't very good.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

If we're talking current, Teen Titans blows. Forget that.

The last run of FF and the current Silver Surfer are super fun. Get your kid into Mike Allred!
Definitely get the new Ms. Marvel, and I'd say the new She-Hulk. Her superheroing is completely tied into being a lawyer and it's still really light, fun and exciting.
None of this stuff ties into the Avengers or any big crossover crisis events, which is a plus.

Edit: The current 'Batman' series is good, especially with the Zero Year thing it's currently doing, but it might have gotten a bit dark for a young kid with the Joker stuff from #13-17.

Shazam! could be good for him. It's about an 11-12ish year old kid who gets turned into a superhero.

There's no current series, but it was a recent backup in Justice League which has been collected.

Justice League United just started and it's a pretty diverse group without the major Justice Leaguers. It's pretty light in tone compared to most DC books (we have had one sliced off and re-grown Hawkman arm though) and it's got space aliens with lazers and Canada!
Here's a video with the author touring the province he's basing the series in, which features quite prominently.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kiqc7qBmNJs
The comic stupidly begins with #0, btw.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jun 17, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

friendo55 posted:

I'm about a year or so into reading comics and looking for a new non-superhero series to get into that's just recently started up [I'm thinking Warren Ellis' Trees?] or especially one that's upcoming.

Right now I'm loving BKV's Saga and anything from Brubaker (catching up on Criminal and reading Velvet). Basically I'm requesting anything that's new and exciting and wasn't sure where to go or how to narrow it all down. With Saga and Velvet it's been much more enjoyable reading month-to-month versus TPB.

Manhattan Projects, Letter 44.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

He's a supporting character in it, but Jonathan Hickman's Fantastic Four run is great. Doom actually joins the team for a while.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jul 6, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

I like nice long runs I can read a few issues of before bed every couple of days.

The sale they had on Ultimate Spider-Man on Comixology not too long ago was perfect, since that was like 200 issues of stuff. I know nothing else from DC or Marvel is going to have that long a run, but something that can occupy a few weeks would be good.

Spider-Man or X-Men would be cool, I have plenty of Avengers stuff. Really anything from DC works too since the only thing from there I've read in a long time was Johns' Green Lantern up to around Brightest Day.

I think the complete Grant Morrison Batman saga is over 80 comics.

e: And if you really wanna go hard, you could include Final Crisis in there and Seven Soldiers to prep for Final Crisis. That'd be well over 100 issues of Gmo goodness.

ee: and every one of Kirby's Fourth World comics to prep for those. Yeah!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 6, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Thor: God of Thunder - The God Butcher, The God Bomb and The Last Days of Midgard whenever that comes out.

The stories are split into different ages of Thor. In The Last Days of Midgard while the modern Thor's part is grounded on Earth, the ancient Thor of the far future is battling Galactus for the planet, which is ruined and devoid of life.

The art is loving brilliant.

The trade I'm skipping between God Bomb and Last Days of Midgard had mediocre art and didn't spend much time at all in space.

e: Space Shark.

ee: The new Silver Surfer has amazing Mike Allred art. People are probably gonna follow this post deriding the author, but I think it's great fun. You should try it.

Only three issues old though, so no collection yet.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 8, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It also doesn't have MAX stuff. I don't like either version of the reader (reg or beta if it's still beta) on computer. It's decent on a tablet.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Lumberjanes, Bee and Puppycat, IDW Cartoon Network comics, Tiny Titans, Scribblenauts Unmasked.

Can't speak to the quality of any of 'em, but I think they're liked and appropriate.

Jeff Parker is doing an Angry Birds comic. Maybe that's secretly good :shrug:

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jul 13, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

realistically not going to spend the next year reading Batman.

You could read Grant Morrison's 80+ issue run in a month. I believe in you!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jul 16, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

If you want to check the character out in something modern before jumping back to the beginning, there's a great two-parter in the current Swamp Thing that he guests in (actually his only really decent appearance in the DC re-launch. Don't bother with his new solo book.)
It's about a town where a mysterious tree suddenly grows and sprouts bulbs of magic whiskey. Everyone goes insane on the stuff along with Constantine who declares himself king and uses a broken glass jug for a crown.
It starts here: https://www.comixology.com/Swamp-Thing-2011-22/digital-comic/43666

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Grant Morrison's Joe the Barbarian.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The modern version the movie is based on (there was an earlier 70's team) spun out of the event Annihilation Conquest, which is a sequel to an earlier event, Annihilation, then got the series you just linked and now have a new one from Brian Michael Bendis which can be read by itself.

The first Annihilation has an omnibus you might want to get to start off on the whole Marvel Cosmic universe. I don't know the hardcover state of the rest. You might have to get some plain TPBs.

e: Oh yeah. Drax has a part in the original Annihilation.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jul 23, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Dubs posted:

Thanks for the answers everyone. Any good black panther booksa round?

At the moment? Jonathan Hickman's New Avengers.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Bandette from Monkeybrain is charming as gently caress. Not on Marvel Unlimited, but it's only a buck for a full sized issue.

https://www.comixology.com/Bandette/comics-series/8519

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Lamont posted:

Apologies if I missed this being covered earlier. I know next to nothing about Cosmic Marvel - is there anything I absolutely must read before going to see Guardians of the Galaxy, other than the 2008 series?

The two Annihilation events lead up to the series.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annihilation_%28comics%29

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Just start reading after the movie so you don't have to cram.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'd do Seven Soldiers into Final Crisis (especially FC:Superman Beyond) into Action Comics (specifically #9).

Seven Soldiers is structured very similarly to Multiversity with opening and closing chapters and individual comics in between that meet at the end (though in this case they're seven four issue miniseries)

A small part of that sets up the Darkseid situation in Final Crisis. There's a tie-in to Final Crisis called Superman Beyond (included in the collection), which is all about Multiverse Bleed Space, Monitors and Limbo which are present in the Multiversity map, as well as Superman working with a pile of alternate world Supermen. At the end of Final Crisis we meet the black president Superman of Earth 23 who's on Multiversity #1's cover.

Action Comics #9 stars Black President Superman in a fairly stand alone issue.

It's hard to say what's most crucial. Seven Soldiers has the whole mini/maxi compartmentalized thing going on, and all of the miniseries tell their own fun stories, but it's thirty issues or two trades worth. Superman Beyond has all of the multiverse toys he's likely to play with, but compressed into two issues it's some crazy, heady stuff.

There'll probably be a huge GMo comixology sale the week of Multiversity #1.

e: If you haven't, reading Watchmen and looking up the circumstances of it's creation on Wikipedia should give some appreciation of one of the Multiversity issue that's going to be a tribute.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Aug 2, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The new Batgirl starting in October should be good.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I recently read an old Aliens miniseries, Stronghold by John Arcudi and Doug Mahnke, cause I'm an old The Mask fan.
It was stupid fun. One of the main characters is a talking, cigar smoking Alien android.
https://digital.darkhorse.com/profile/2969.aliens-stonghold/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Oh, drat. That reminds me.
Non-T&A female character asking guy! You still here? SHE-HULK! READ THE CURRENT SHE-HULK!