Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I have a lot of good choices for completed runs to read, now, but I kinda want to jump into a current series so I can have something to read every so often. Any suggestions? Hopefully something that's not going to wrap up very soon. Marvel, DC, or whatever else. Thanks for any suggestions.

I read comics in the 90s and couldn't keep up with the crossovers and fell away from it. I've read tons of great graphic novels in the meantime but wouldn't mind a monthly or two that I could rely on. Saga is already on my list, but I wouldn't mind some Superhero stuff, too.

I realize that Marvel is rebooting some stuff soon and I will probably jump on those, for a start. Is the DC Rebirth stuff pretty solid? I know I'm a bit behind on some of those, but I wouldn't mind a fairly short catch-up on some of that, if there are any books which are highly recommended.

I'm not aware of any big 'events' in either universe right now which might be worth getting into, but please correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Chinook fucked around with this message at 14:00 on May 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Can anyone suggest some old school swords & sorcery comics?

A few examples come to mind. When I was like 11 I had an oversized Conan the Barbarian comic, black & white, and it had a naked chick in it (which is probably why I remember). It seems like a Conan book would be cool but I'd have no idea where to start. I'd like a big overarching story with lots of little adventures and side stuff.

The first handful of Cerebus the Aardvark were really cool, to me. I know it doesn't really reach its stride until it gets all political and super satirical, and he becomes pope or whatever, but I remember him just running around and being an adventurer, that was cool.

I started reading Elfquest and even though it's a little bit goofy with all the elf stuff it kind of reminds me of what I'm looking for. I think I'd prefer fewer characters, maybe even somewhat more mercenary characters, though.

I'm betting there are some good answers, or some good runs that someone might suggest. I'd appreciate it.

I suppose I'm looking for something out of the typical Marvel/DC mythos, but if there's a particular exception (I'm imagining that there are some older books in Marvel, or maybe even Thor runs from the past, which might come close to what I am looking for.)

Thanks!

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. I'll look into all of them.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Kharmakazy posted:

Is there a long run of something good made in the last 10 years or so? I'd like to binge through something. I enjoy comedy and action, generally liked preacher, y and he last man, invincible, walking dead, etc. I don't think I've read more than a few issues of anything in the last 5 years.

I think people have enjoyed Saga. It's not finished though... and on a long hiatus, too. But that's a good recommendation, I think.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I use an app called Chunky on the iPad to stream from something called an "Ubooquity" server on my computer, and it's a great system. I keep all my files on my desktop, so I don't know how it would interface with an online service, but I can't imagine a nicer setup, once you have it in place.

edit: and there's something called Komga which is even nicer (it's very much like Plex) and can still use Chunky for reading, but - it relies on metadata completely, so if any of your files don't contain them, it won't be useful. Ubooquity doesn't have that limitation but it's limited in other ways.

Chinook fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Sep 19, 2022

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Uthor posted:

Comic for a kid into acting, likes writing/directing plays and movies, etc? Pre-teen (voice is starting to change, where has the time gone?), so not a "kids" book, but not looking for sex or ultraviolence.

Stuff I read at that age and found valuable- but might be too violent in some cases-
Bone
Spawn
Maus
The Maxx

It should now be easy to guess my exact age haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Sandman is good, yeah. I think The Watchmen might be good too.