Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I dunno if Unlimited added all the Dark Horse Star Wars stuff, but they added 500 comics. Any recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I a long, long time ago I read some of the Legacy and KOTOR comics and I remember them being pretty good. I'll take another look at them probably, I remember specifically liking the character designs in Legacy. What about the original run that started in the 80's? Basically I'm trying to avoid standard EU nonsense.

Also, none of these comics are canon any more right?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

redbackground posted:

It doesn't really matter, does it?

I mean, I'm keeping Dark Empire close to my cold heart no matter who says what.

Not really I guess.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

notthegoatseguy posted:

There's a lot of writers I like that are doing or have done Star Wars comics. I've heard that the post-Disney purchase comics have been good. What's a good place to start? Is any of it on Unlimited?

I'm reading Legacy right now which is OK but I really don't like Jan Duursema's art. Ostrander's writing is pretty decent though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Just got marvel unlimited and was recommended the infinity event from a couple of years ago. I don't really read comics so is this a good one to read? Any other recommendations for good marvel stuff, never read civil war so I was interested in that.

Here's a tip, and it's a huge pain in the rear end up front but it will help you when reading events or multiple books concurrently: use the library function. So for Infinity you take that list and go add all the relevant books from the three different series, and then they are ordered chronologically in your library, so you can read them in publishing order and not get ahead in the story. It's not such a big deal for Infinity but one day you're going to want to read the huge cosmic Annihilation events and then you'll be glad you did.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Why do people hate CC so much? is it because they let Wanda off the hook?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I've read it twice and Ultimate FF is great.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't read DC but comixology has a huge New 52 sale and I was wondering if any of these titles were worth looking at. The last DC stuff I read in continuity was probably the Sinestro Corps stuff.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

redbackground posted:

Well, Hitman, OBVIOUSLY.

Those are some Really-Good-But-Not-Great Mark Waid JLA issues. Excellent art by Hitch.

Omega Men #3 is the first appearance of Lobo, which is worth a read, as uh, he was a bit different back then.

It's on my to-read list, but I've heard really positive things about JL3000.

So that's the same Hitman that people are talking about when they say Hitman is awesome?

Since both of yall have heard good things about JL3k I'll look at it too, is it all new characters or old-as-gently caress current characters?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Grawl posted:

I've only read (the first 200 or so) issues of Spawn. In the Marvel galaxy, I guess Spiderman and X-men.

Immortal Iron Fist and Astonishing X Men are both relatively well contained. Uncanny X Force by Remender is a bit more tied in to the Xmen world.

Also, there are over 10,000 comics so it's super daunting to a new reader. It comes up all the time so if you google "Marvle Unlimited Where to Start" tons of comic sites and blogs have put together lists of new reader friendly runs.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is the 06-09 Moon Knight run worth reading? What about the Bendis/Maleev one?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What about the Vengeance series that goes in between those two?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Zachack posted:

Was that when Finch was on art? I couldn't get past that. Taskmaster looked like a literal zombie, it took me a while to recognize the costume and his dialogue didn't match the art at all.

It's Finch and then a guy who draws exactly like Finch.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

At some point we just need to develop a "Here's what you read on MU" list.

Phylodox posted:

I'm trying to start right from the beginning of the Marvel canon with Fantastic Four, The Incredible Hulk, and X-Men from the early 60s and...man, it's not easy, is it? They're from a different time with different writing conventions. So stilted and verbose. Also, Professor X was such a dick! "X-Men meeting! Everyone to my study! You have exactly fifteen seconds!!!"

I was reading the Korvac Saga and I was surprised at how dickish everyone was to each other. Cap all "You loving suck at leading the Avengers Iron Man, you're a piece of poo poo."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

One thing that would go a long way to improving the app would be allowing you to import user made lists.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Aside from stuff that isn't at least 6 months old I'm pretty sure most everything in your post is on Marvel Unlimited.

More or less everything released after 2000 is going to be on MU, it's the early stuff where it gets kind of spotty. I wanted to read the Bill Sienkiewicz run on New Mutants but it's incomplete for some reason.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

A Tin Of Beans posted:

The stuff he did is actually all up there now, I'm pretty sure! It's a relatively recent update, I'm pretty sure, but #1-40 are all up there, which includes the Sienkiewicz stuff.

Oh good to know!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

God of Thunder absolutely slays and it has the advantage of being more or less completely disconnected from the Marvel universe at large so you don't need to know poo poo about continuity to follow it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Edmond Dantes posted:

A guy came into class a few days ago with a "I'M NOT DARE DEVIL" hoodie. I kinda want one now.

Hmmm. That's how you know he was Daredevil.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sale on all the Fable trades for 5 bucks a piece: I've always heard it was a good series, but is it good back to front?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well maybe I'm a super conservative Republican who really likes clumsy and obvious ego stroking, you ever think of that?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well thanks for saving me a hundred bucks or so.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oni's got a linewide sale on Comixology. Any thing in there worth a poo poo?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

OK that's enough no one say any more good comics from that sale.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah I've never heard of SP being anything but extremely good.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I read all of Letter 44 up to the current month (and subscribed for the rest) and I found it to be a great sci-fi story that reminds me of some of my favorite scifi novels. Any other strong scifi comic stories that compare in quality? (and I don't just mean "set in space")

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The first Morrison I ever read and one of the first comics I ever read was Invisibles. Don't start there.

Honestly I'd say read his X-Men run (or his JLA one if you're willing to go outside Marvel) because those are his most "normal" comic book runs whereas, say, Animal Man is a lot about more meta aspects of comics and the act of creation as an artist.

Also I've never read We3 because I'm sure he kills the animals at the end.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also his run on Secret Avengers is really good.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MU just added the Marvel Knights Punisher run. It's the one Quitely drew, but MU didn't put creative info in the thumbnails so I don't know who wrote it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sorry I meant Dillon. I just lump artists that draw horribly ugly people together in my head :twisted:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Oh, then it's Ennis.

But the Marvel Knights run isn't the same as the MAX run, but Ennis wrote both?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I read Economix this week and I'd never thought of a comic book as educational media. It was a really good way to explain a complicated and dry topic. I was kind of blindly searching for similar stuff, and most non-fiction comics are biographical, which I'm not as interested in. Anyone know of similar non-fiction comics, where it's focusing on history or a topic and not just one person?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

numerrik posted:

I'm looking for some one and done trades, I have enjoyed two step, black summer, proposition player, locke and key, sex, prez, wicked and Devine. I have enjoyed everything I have read from waid, templesmith, Ennis and Ellis. Any recommendations?

E: no marvel

Are you interested in the history of economics :kiddo:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

HogX posted:

Is there an origin comic on she-hulk, jennifer walters? Or was that part of a hulk comic series? I'm reading the new she-hulk series and I'd like to go back and read about her becoming she-hulk.

She debuted in her own series, Savage She Hulk in 1980.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I bought the Breyfoyle Batman omni that just got released and I really really liked it. The chat thread recommended to a different guy to read the O'Neal and Englehart runs, and I'd like to, but does anyone know if (and where) they are collected? There are about a billion Batman collections on Comixology.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

When did they do the "reboot" and did the darker version as a response to the campy popular view of Batman? like 1971?

redbackground posted:

Here's the specific issues for Englehart:
Detective Comics #469–476, 478–479

Well, I guess I could just buy those specific issues...

Comixology has three Neal Adams Batman collections, has anyone read those?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cheers.

Our mod DEADPOOL always recommends all the Valiant titles save one, which was it?

zoux fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Aug 18, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

X-O posted:

Of the new stuff? The only thing I absolutely say you should never even look at is the continuation of the original Quantum and Woody series. It's garbage. Otherwise Shadowman after Justin Jordan leaves isn't any good either, but it's not like Q2 where it's not even worth the paper it's printed on.

That's "Quantum and Woody Must Die"?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They're worth buying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Norns posted:

My marvel background knowledge comes from the 90s cartoons. :gaz:

My plan is to check out a couple xmen runs. Then roll into Hickman's Avengers stuff. After that I'll start working down the list.

Thank you guys. My Instocktrades cart is massive.

Good solutions for shelving?

Before you get yourself in too deep have you considered digital comics?