Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

I'm gonna recommend Invincible too then. It's more gory but it reminded me a lot of Spider-Man.

I can't remember who said it but someone called it "what if Peter Parker was Superman".

To expand on my Ultimate recommendation, I also started reading comics when I was an adult, and trying to get into stuff with 40 years of contitutity is super daunting. The Ultimate universe was created as a way to retell the mainline stories, but updated to the modern world (in 2000) and also free of continuity. Ultimate Spiderman was the first title in this universe and it ran until the end of the Ultimate universe in 2015. While the Ultimate Universe itself can range from excellent to arguably some of the worst comics ever written, most people agree Ulitmate Spiderman is good, and it's good the whole way through. You get to read it without worrying about missing poo poo due to past continuity, and the dialogue and panel structure is much more accessible to modern tastes.

Ultimates 1 & 2 are also worth reading (it's their version of Avengers) and Ultimate Fantastic Four. I won't vouch for the rest. As a major bonus, the whole thing is on Marvel Unlimited, so if you have a tablet or can stand reading on your computer, you can read literally everything there for the low low price of 10 bucks a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I actually hate the way Bagley draws faces and other stuff BUT if New Guy is anything like me, he won't have strong artist preferences or even a sense of good vs. bad art as he starts off. I didn't even notice the Greg Land poo poo the first time I read UFF. The second time I read it, many years later, I was like, "How the gently caress did I not notice how bad this was".

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've read a lot of comics with Batman in them, but they're mainly issues of Justice League or Superman in which Batman appears. I've never really been a Batman reader. Therefore, could I ask for some Batman recommendations?

I am obviously aware of Morrison Batman and everything after but that's much bigger and wider than I feel like getting into for the time being. So stuff from before that. Maybe pre-Hush stuff generally.

I dunno how far you want to go back but they collect old Batman stories under Tales of the Batman/Legends of the Dark Knight. They're curated based on creator, I got the Len Wein Tales and Norm Breyfogle Legends collections during a sale last year, and I liked them a lot. Very isolated Batman, focused more on crime in Gotham than JL stuff or crossovers.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Stuart Immonen takes over somewhere in the low hundreds, so stay with it! Pichelli is the best artist on the book though, imo.

(I also don't like Bagley that much, but I think he does fine when Spidey's in the suit and he's not drawing faces)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Zoro posted:

I am a fan of Spiderman, Jaimie Reyes Blue Beetle, and Kamla Khan Ms. Marvel. I like stories that are lighter in nature and have an emphasis on family and/or friends with an upbeat message.

Tone-wise, think The Spectacular Spiderman TV show (R.I.P.) and the start of Kamal Khan Ms. Marvel (G. Willow Wilson) for examples.

As a caveat, I'm looking for something that isn't bogged down in continuity and shared universes. It doesn't have to be indie, but I'm tired of events and having to read 50 Series to understand one storyline.

If anyone can be so helpful, does anyone know any good series that are similar to those and fit that description?

Edit: Also, it would best if there was no mature content. Might give it to my nephew if its good. He likes comics.

Gillen's Journey into Mystery and Young Avengers. I don't think those are too continuity heavy. The first one Loki gets turned into a cool teen and the other teen Loki joins a team of cool teens (with spectacular James McKelvie art). When I read it I hadn't heard of a bunch of the characters but that didn't hamper me at all.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Uthor posted:

Runaways!

Oh yeah for sure.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

I've really been craving stories in a Dungeons & Dragons-esque world. Questing, fighting monsters, getting treasure, etc. I've read some Rat Queens and enjoyed the first couple trades, but want something a bit more serious and less irreverent/overtly comedic and adventure-focused.

I was thinking some Conan comics, maybe? Though if that's a good path to go down, I'd want some recommendations for specific trades to pick up.

I'd be up for something more in a D&D world with lots of monsters, a more grounded Robert E. Howard world, or even a far-future/fall of civilization kind of feel. Doesn't have to be a rag-tag band of adventurers but it'd be a bonus.

Gaz-L posted:

Have you read the John Rogers run on the actual licensed D&D book from IDW?

Seconding this recommendation (but it does have a lot of humor).

Also, Birthright is really good, but it's more of a Masters of the Universe movie deal where the people from the fantastical universe come over here.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I was being glib, but the premise is that a kid gets sucked into a universe where he's the chosen one, but instead of following that story it jumps to a year or two ahead when he returns home, fully an adult and having completed his destiny, and his family is ruined because the dad was accused of killing the kid when he disappeared. There are quests and what not and plenty of fantasy elements, but with the "here's how we have to deal with them under the restrictions in the real world" conflict.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

NOT We3

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's been a long time since I read Seven Soldiers but it was when I first started reading comics so I recall not getting a lot of references. You may not care.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's excessively good, the Hyperclan arc loving slays. However the whole red blue Superman thing happens in the middle of it so suddenly you’re trying to figure that out.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hickman's whole thing from FF4 through Secret Wars is one of the great successes of comics storytelling but it is not for beginners. There were tons of characters in there I'd never heard of, much less someone who only knows people from the movies.

I don't think Planet Hulk is that inaccessible, you just have to know that The Powers that Be viewed Hulk as such a threat that they shot him into space. Everything else is new to 616 (afaik)

I never read the Bendis guardians stuff but my understanding is that they basically rewrote the Guardians to be 100% like the movies. I know people have problems with that run but you have to remember that people brand new to comics aren't gonna have the same problems with story/character stuff that long time readers do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

X-O posted:

New series is great. Maybe even better than the original, which I'm not sure has really aged quite as well most think.

Who's writing it