Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I appreciate Spider-Man. I really like punk rock. What do I need to read for the Punk Rock Spider-Man I've seen pictures of? My searching only showed me a video game costume, not comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Thanks! :spidey:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Jeez, I haven't looked at buying Sandman in 16 years. So many more options than in the past.

That seems to be a decent hardcover that's not stupid expensive.

There's also this cheaper paperback (with more issues, so less volumes?).
https://www.bookdepository.com/Sandman-Book-One-Neil-Gaiman/9781779515179?ref=grid-view&qid=1661272155104&sr=1-7

There's the 9 old school trades, but I'm guessing those aren't worth it compared to these nice collections.

You can also look at Absolute if you want the biggest, nicest collection, but I wouldn't spend my cash on that for a story I haven't read.

As to where, is there a local store that you can check out? Though, they don't normally have discounts like online stores do. I haven't bought online in years. I used InStockTrades, but their customer service was crappy (I've gotten packages missing books I've paid for with a note saying they will ship the missing book when they get it... But have taken my money for it and no promise that the book will be reprinted anytime soon).

Edit: don't do what I did, buy random volumes that random stores at random malls happen to have, reading completely out of order, though luckily getting a consistent set of covers at a time when every reprint had a different style.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Aug 23, 2022

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Serephina posted:

just grab a random episode as it won't spoil anything and will tell you about the vibe of the series.

Haha, I didn't really get the idea of a limited series when Sandman was coming out and I randomly bought issue #70. Spoilers for the entire storyline! I'm glad I own those last 6 issues, though.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

There's a digital comics thread, but my OP is completely out of date.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3611527&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

I'll look up some specific apps that I use when I get off work. Sorry for not giving you a good answer with this post.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Chinook posted:

I use an app called Chunky on the iPad to stream from something called an "Ubooquity" server on my computer, and it's a great system. I keep all my files on my desktop, so I don't know how it would interface with an online service, but I can't imagine a nicer setup, once you have it in place.

edit: and there's something called Komga which is even nicer (it's very much like Plex) and can still use Chunky for reading, but - it relies on metadata completely, so if any of your files don't contain them, it won't be useful. Ubooquity doesn't have that limitation but it's limited in other ways.

This is something I don't know anything about!

I wrote a more general reply in the Digital Comics thread to using the systems the big publishers use, but TL;DR, it's basically comiXology. :(

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3611527&pagenumber=155#post526386354

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Didn't Amazon kill comixology?

No technically!

comiXology is still around, but mixed in their store. I think the main store is the only way to read stuff, but comiXology is the app. I think they removed buying via the app on all of the OSes.

They also updated the app and it kinda SUCKS, now.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Oof, I'm so out of touch with webcomics these days, but Vattu just ended. It's great if you are into fantasy settings.
http://www.rice-boy.com/vattu/

Obvious from the url that it's by the creator of Rice Boy, which I would highly recommend.

Oglaf is a fun once a week comic, usually one page jokes. Just a warning that it's so :nws: that they label Safe for Work updates specifically.
https://www.oglaf.com/

Gunnerkrigg Court is a long running classic, but I had to stop following the SA thread about it cause other Goons weren't super into it of the last couple of years.
https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/

Huh, I'm surprised to recommend so much fantasy adjacent stuff, I'm more of a sci-fi fan.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

thetoughestbean posted:

This is probably caused by a lot of webcomic creators moving to Webtoon, a site that I don’t go to.

Nothing Special on webtoon!
https://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/nothing-special/list?title_no=1188&page=1

Hasn't updated since June. :(

And weird that it's another fantasy comic that I enjoy...

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Got about 10 days of Marvel Unlimited left. Is there a really good 6-12 issue story arc/mini-series from the last few years that I should read? I'm up to date with X-Men.

(I was reading Marvel comics with my friends and we have jumped over to DC. Between that and my normal monthly comics, I don't have time to read more stuff and keeping Marvel Unlimited isn't worth it at the moment.)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Nextwave, Spider-Man and the X-Men, Young Avengers volume 2, Fantastic Four 1234 by Grant Morrison, Iron Man:Extremis

From the last few years! I've read all of those by this point. :v:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Cool, that's right up my alley.

I have Matt Fraction's Defenders run. This will definitely be better than that!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

It restarted? Sweet! But I don't remember if I kept up with it until the end of the first run...

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I need Xmas comic gifts for my cousins' kids!

One cousin has two kids, aged almost-11 and 8.5. She said they like "comedy and fantasy". The younger likes Dog Man, but already has a ton of that. Bone obviously pops into my head, but I don't want to get sucked into buying another set of Bone over how many years it'll take to get all of the books. I'm looking for more one-shots or standalone story arcs for each of the kids.

The other cousin has an 11.5 year old boy. Talking with my sis, she said he's been super into the idea of making movies and Jaws/Jurassic Park. He also seems to be into musicals. Unfortunately, I'm specifically looking for something "boy" oriented 'cause my "liberal" cousin puts so much poo poo on him for cross-dressing and liking to wear make up and I'm sure that side would be annoyed if he got something oriented for "girls".

My sister's kids I got covered. :flashfact: (Bone, Lumberjanes, gotta start a series for the youngest one...)

Uthor fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Dec 10, 2022

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Yeah, I'm totally cools sneaking something in. I doubt their going to read the book or anything that intrusive. I just don't know what would be good for kids that age!

I was about that age when I started getting into Stephen King and definitely remember some of the "adult" scenes that would happen in his books on top of the horror stuff.

Edit: reading that back, I'm talking about two families. One with two kids, the other with just that boy. So, I need three gifts. Sorry!

Uthor fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Dec 10, 2022

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Claremont era X-Men would probably be great for an 11.5 year old possibly dealing with gender identity questions without their parents freaking out about it. Or a lot of other X-Men stuff in general.

I don't know what specific collections would be best though.

Keeping this one in the back of my mind, but I'm not sure it's something he'd be into, at least right now.

StumblyWumbly posted:

I lump everyone under 25 in to the same category, so I don't know if it works for 11.5, but Die?
It is mostly about adults trapped in a D&D-ish world, but the end tackles some gender identity feels.
It's probably too adult in the "people talking about being adults" sense,

I really need to finish reading this comic. But knowing the kid, it's a little mature for him.

Cloks posted:

What about Chip Zdarsky's Jughead? It's about older teenagers, which kids tend to like, and it's got a real fantastical bent.

This jumped out at me. Feels about right for him. Thanks!

For the other two, I did a quick search for recommendations and Adventure Time jumped out at me. I also saw one for The Tea Dragon Society, which I've never heard of but OMG the art is so nice I'm going to read it for myself.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Skwirl posted:

I just listen to a lot of podcasts about X-Men and a bunch of adult queer people keep talking about reading their parent's or older sibling's collection of Claremont X-Men at about that age being an eye opening experience.

I get it. He just doesn't seem to be into superhero stuff. It just proves how far apart we are when you look at our family tree!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Need a gift for my cousin. He's an artist, so the art is important. B&W with flowing inks seems to be something he's especially into, but anything goes. Horror, abstract, violence are totally fine for him. Like, I think he enjoyed Red Room.

Totally fine with obscure indie or Marvel/Image. He liked East of West, I just lent him Doctor Strange: Fall Sunrise. Sorry, can't name random indie things he's been into, but he's got a bunch. I'd prefer a series that can be read in a couple of TPBs, not a long ongoing.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 22, 2023

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Air Skwirl posted:

It is a long ongoing, but the part I'm recommending is only a few TPBs and stands on it's own, Garth Ennis' run on Hellblazer.

Definitely will give this a think.

site posted:

none of these are b&w but flowing inks makes me think of Sana Takeda, Christian Ward, and Stephanie Hans. So Monstress, Black Bolt, and DIE?

department of truth...i don't know if it's flowy but it certainly has an interesting look to it

e: and yeah any tradd moore book obviously

Will check these out. I haven't read Die since comixology turned to poo poo. Just now I got the pun of the title.

StumblyWumbly posted:

David Mack has done some great watercolor work, but I think it was all for covers?
I haven't read his Kabuki in 10+ years but it was a lot of fun, all B&W, wish I could remember if Mack got artistic with it.

Kabuki art is nice, but I don't feel like this is in his wheelhouse. Thanks, though. May lend him the books I have at some point. Met Mack once or twice, seems like a good dude.

Jordan7hm posted:

Random thoughts, sticking to western (non BD) works.

Monsters, by BWS
Joelle Jones’ Lady Killer (not B&W but the art is awesome)
Kabuki, as mentioned, is gorgeous
Has he tried love and rockets? Because that’s probably the best American black and white series ever made.
Punk rock Jesus. Sean Lewis is an edgy conservative bro as far as I recall, but his art is top tier.

Has he tried manga at all? B&W is more mainstream there, and people like Junji Ito would probably resonate if he likes high quality art & stuff like Red Room. Lone wolf and cub is another one that I think of when you say flowing inks, though obviously that’s a lot longer than a couple TPBs.

Will also check these out. Funny, I went to grab my copy of Love and Rockets a couple of weeks ago and remembered that he's borrowing it and it's not at my house!

I don't feel like he's into manga in general. He teaches college and I'm sure all the 20 year old art students have exposed him to it.

I guess I could have also said he's super into TMNT, but, well, he already owns all the TMNT comics he would ever want. Last Ronin is awesome!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

thetoughestbean posted:

Are foreign comics okay or do you want to keep it American?

I look at whatever you recommend...

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Thanks for all the recommendations. Here's a Venom he drew me as a gift.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I really dug the Venom run with Flash Thompson as host, at least at the beginning of the storyline when he was using Venom for military operations. Written by Rick Remender, at least for the first 20 issues or so. Kinda fell off when they went off into space.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Just read DC One Million and it's like a prequel/sequel to All Star Superman. I really enjoyed it, especially the first half tie-ins, but a friend of mine wasn't really into it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

There a book out there for an 8-year-old who seems to like stories about doctors/dentists?

Guts sticks out to me, but I am having a hard time figuring out what to search for to get other recommendations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Madkal posted:

Not really a superhero book in the vein of DC/Marvel stuff but Beasts of Burden is about dogs (and cats) that can see ghosts and monsters and keep their human friends safe. It is excellent and you might wanna check that out.

I haven't read this, but I normally see it recommended with warnings that it will hit your feelings.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

It's crazy sci-fi and I enjoyed it, but the title changed like 8 years ago, a handful of issues came out, and nothing since then. The title change happens during a change in the story, but it's not like it was an ending point and a new storyline. So, no, it's not complete.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I don't think I've read any Runaways that I didn't like? The Whedon stuff isn't bad, just that it took a long time to come out (14 months for 6 issues) and wasn't really worth the wait. It's alright in a single sitting. Sorry, I don't remember details of a lot of the stuff after that, but remember finding it all pretty good. Just, not up to the level of the original BKV run. I'd say it's worth a read if you're doing it on Marvel Unlimited or borrowing the books, might not be worth hunting down old TPBs.

Edit: though, thinking about it some more, the Whedon story is about a traveling into the past and finding a child married to an older guy, so....

Uthor fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Aug 12, 2023

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I'm not an expert in the character, but was important in Operation: Zero Tolerance and Second Coming.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Omnibus tend to collect everything related to a specific story. Obviously, it won't collect everything that may come up related to a character that's been around for like a century.

General advice: read what you find interesting, pick up the stories that explain the confusing parts if that interests you. Read a wiki if it's confusing, but not interesting.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I'm into the current Doctor Strange comic. Issue #9 just came out, but you kind of need to start with #1 from March.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Comic for a kid into acting, likes writing/directing plays and movies, etc? Pre-teen (voice is starting to change, where has the time gone?), so not a "kids" book, but not looking for sex or ultraviolence.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Yeah, Sandman is a good idea. I gave my old TPBs to his cousin! (when she was a little older)

I don't know Stardust, but I'll look into it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

SilentChaz posted:

The Backstagers is about a group of theater kids at a school putting on plays and musicals while exploring the mysterious Backstage.

Welp, I canceled Sandman and grabbed this. Much thanks.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I forget about that all the time. I started reading Sandman at 14, but by picking up the first issue of The Wake (NOT a good place to jump into that story!). Those were not violent at all.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

If you're okay with reading digitally, Friday is a horror comic I'm enjoying the heck out of. One issue left to come out, but at their pace, it'll probably be a few months.

Pay what you wish.

http://panelsyndicate.com/comics/friday

Music, especially 80's punk related, Jamie Hernandez' Love and Rockets storyline. Start at the beginning. There's only about 40 years of comics to catch up on...

https://www.fantagraphics.com/collections/love-and-rockets

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

The first volume is a classic, but didn't do "it" for me. From what I remember, it was more like an illustrated story than a comic? I guess I own a Batman Grendel series, but don't remember it at all. But, I also have Grendel War Child and I like that, possibly because I was like 12 when I first read a couple of issues. It's weird, has Grendel, but in a post apocalypse. A Mad Max feel. Funny, I put it in my reading queue a couple of days ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Just looking at stuff I bought my nieces around that age:
Bone
The OZ books
Lumberjanes
Cleopatra
Princeless
Tea Dragon
Lumberjanes

WWAC recently put up a gift guide and I saved some things for future gifts.

https://womenwriteaboutcomics.com/2024/01/favorite-2023-comics-young-readers/