Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Are there any DC Crossovers from the 80s/90s worth reading? I've only read Identity/Infinite/Final Crisis. (Oh, and DC 1mil)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

Have you read the rest of Morrison's JLA?

Yes, I read it all when I was doing prep for the Bat-epic.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

SMP posted:

Comixology's sale today is Captain America. I've heard constant recommendations to check out Ed Brubaker's run on it. Is this the run they're recommending? Because I notice he is the writer on both vol 5 and 6.

Looks like the sale is only v6, which is great, but I would read v5 first. The whole Brubaker run is amazing.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

SMP posted:

Thanks, I picked up v6 now since it's cheap. Hopefully v5 will go on sale closer to when the movie releases. Is there a good goon-recommended reading order around? I know next to nothing about the dude except what I saw in the movies & cultural osmosis.

No prep is really necessary. I've never read any Captain America comics other than Brubaker's.

v5 #1-17
Captain America 65th Anniversary Special
v5 #18-24
Winder Soldier: Winter Kills (One Shot)
v5 #25-50
v5 #600 (they renumbered, of course)
Captain America Reborn #1-6
Captain America: Who Will Wield The Shield? (One Shot)
v5 #602-615.1
Steve Rogers: Super Soldier #1-4
v5 #616-628
v6 #1-19
Winter Soldier #1-14

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Moai Ou posted:

A friend of mine wants to get into comics, but generally only reads true crime books. The only true crime comic I can think of is Bendis' Torso. Are there any others out there?

Failing true crime books, any other good crime stuff? I've already loaned her Criminal, and planning on Jinx. Gotham Central & Bendis & Brubaker's Daredevil are on my short list too.

"Criminal" by Brubaker

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

irlZaphod posted:

He mentions it in the post which you quoted.

Well, I'm a moron that can't read...

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Powers, Gotham Central, X-Force/X-Statix and Bendis' DD are all great suggestions. You may also like Top 10, which is about the police force in a world where everyone has superpowers, making them somewhat mundane. Or maybe Alias, which is Bendis' series about a former superheroine who is now a private eye.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Yeah, I'm doing the same thing, and I made it through a handful of early issues before I just skimmed summaries through issue 66 and then skipped to Giant Sized #1. I don't think I missed anything.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Xander77 posted:

What's the correct order for reading Astro City and all the various spinoffs, and are there any I should skip?

I read it years and years ago, but the two things I associated the most with it were apparently from Top 10 and Powers.

There's not really a "Reading Order" since the issues are vignettes. There are minor threads that run through stories, but you can just read them in the order of TPB release and be safe:

Life in the Big City (Vol. 1 #1–6)
Family Album (Vol. 2 #1–3, 10–13)
Confession (Vol. 2 #1/2, 4–9)
Tarnished Angel (Vol. 2 #14–20)
Local Heroes (Vol. 2 #21–22, Local Heroes #1–5, Supersonic, "Since the Fire")
The Dark Age Book One: Brothers and Other Strangers (The Dark Age Vol. 1 #1–4, Vol. 2 #1–4)
The Dark Age Book Two: Brothers in Arms (The Dark Age Vol. 3 #1–4, Vol. 4 #1–4)
Shining Stars (Samaritan Special, Astra #1–2, Silver Agent #1–2, Beautie #1)
Through Open Doors (Vol. 3 #1–6)

Personally, I think the series has been solid throughout, except for an issue here or there (Beautie #1).

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Metal Loaf posted:

It's the epilogue to "Rock of Ages" - I believe Hourman returns to the 853rd century with the Worlogog to meet metron and that future's Superman, who only appears in shadow.

Actually, it's later, as an epilogue to issue #23. FYI, the JLA Deluxe Edition TPB omits that epilogue. I remember being terribly confused when the first issue of 1 Mill said "As seen in JLA #23" and I had no idea what they were talking about.

I looked it up, and here's what the wiki says:

"The final two pages, which lead into the DC One Million crossover, are missing from nearly every subsequent reprint and re-release of this issue, namely the JLA: Strength in Numbers trade paperback, the JLA Vol. 3 trade paperback and even the digital version available via ComiXology. (The pages are also not included in the DC One Million trade paperback, the JLA One Million reprint or the DC One Million Omnibus hardcover or trade paperback collections). The only reprint of this issue that does include those two pages is the JLA Deluxe Edition Vol. 3 hardcover."

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Is X-Files Season 10 any good, or is it terrible like the last few seasons of the show?

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

I read the Hulk suggestions earlier, but any recommendations of good Hulk stuff for my 9-year-old nephew? He loves the Hulk, and I've been getting him Marvel Adventures Hulk collections for years, but he's a pretty mature, smart kid, and I think he can definitely handle something more sophisticated. (He's reading LotR on his own) I took him to a comic book store for the first time, and he was interested in the new Waid Hulk, but I don't know anything about it.

And same question goes for me, since I've never read any Hulk, and probably should.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Senor Candle posted:

I think Waid's Hulk was really good for the first couple arcs. Maybe like a trade or two of it.

Hasn't there been only one arc so far? (Who Shot Bruce Banner?)

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Midnight Nation by JMS is also enjoyable.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

If I want to read Steranko's Nick Fury but don't want to pay out the rear end for an out of print hardcover, what are my options?

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

redbackground posted:

Buy the newer softcover trade that has everything in it. I own a copy and it's beautiful.

I figured that was it, but the description of the contained issues is hosed up so I wanted to be sure:

"COLLECTING: STRAN GE TALES (1951) 151-168 & NICK FURY, AGENT OF S.H.I.E.L.D. (1968) 1-3, 5"

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

redbackground posted:

No, that's correct. That's all of Steranko's SHIELD/Fury work.

I thought he started earlier than that, but clearly I'm wrong.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Is there anything I should read after Thanos Imperative? (Annihilators?) I've really been enjoying the whole Abnett/Lanning cosmic run.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Is there anything between Annihilators: Earthfall and Bendis' GotG?

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

I picked up Vol 1 of the Ostrander Suicide Squad, which includes "The Secret Origin of the Suicide Squad". Since this Secret Origins issue is technically "Part 22" of the crossover Legends, should I read Legends as well?

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

If I wasn't blown away by Vol 1 of Suicide Squad (1987), should I not bother getting Vol 2, or is it one of those slow burns that builds and gets better as it goes? I can recognize some glimmers of interesting threads, but overall it still had that "old-style" comic book writing that I can't really get into.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

If I'm going to read Excalibur for the first time, is it worth reading the Davis/Delano Captain Britain series first?

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

You might as well read Ennis' Punisher stories under the Max imprint, which are in the same continuity as Jason Aaron's Punisher MAX and directly precede it. They're not all gold but that run is considered the definitive Punisher by most people. You can start here. Some people consider Ennis' earlier Punisher stories in the main Marvel continuity to be part of the MAX run but ehhh. The tone's pretty different.

They just started republishing these in larger trades, so buy this instead

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

KoldPT posted:

2) What about Wonder Woman? I remember people saying Rucka's run was great, at the time, but I didn't read it. Might as well ask for other good WW stories in general.

Brian Azzarello New 52 run on Wonder Woman is fantastic. It's issues #1-35.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

What's some stuff worth reading involving Guy Gardner?

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Green Lantern Corps pre and post 52, Justice League International, JLI

Yeah, GLC is what I'm reading now which got me interested. (Why is Hal Jordan the main Green Lantern when he's so loving boring?) I'll check out both JLIs.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

With the New 52 careening towards a brick wall, what are some lesser-known N52 titles to check out? Omega Men, Dial H, Demon Knights and Prez are all on my radar.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Are any of the non X-Titles during the Inferno event necessary/worth reading?

Avengers #298-300
Daredevil #262, 263, 265
Power Pack #42-44
Cloak and Dagger (vol. 3) #4
Fantastic Four #322-324
Spectacular Spider-Man #146-148
Web of Spider-Man #47-48
The Amazing Spider-Man #311-31

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

pubic works project posted:

So I just bought Volume 3 of Bendis' Avengers, I guess that's series 4? It collects issues 18-24, yet Volume 2 stops at issue 12. Is there a collected edition of issues 13-17?

13-17 was part of Fear Itself. They're collected here: https://www.amazon.com/Avengers-Fear-Itself-Marvel-Paperback/dp/0785163492

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Any must-read Etrigan appearances other than The Demon/Swamp Thing/Demon Knights?

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Scaramouche posted:

He was entertaining in his brief Hitman appearances but I wouldn't call them canon essential. Though if you haven't read Hitman why not? It's real good for it's time.

I love Hitman, which is one of the reasons I want to read Ennis' The Demon.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

obi_ant posted:

I've been eyeing Moon Knight By Brian Michael Bendis, any good?

Other people hate it. I liked it, but will admit it's really anticlimactic, cuts off early, and leads into an event that didn't actually happen for another 2 years (which didn't even feature Moon Knight). I dug the concept, but I'd really only recommend it if you are a Bendis/Maleev or Moon Knight completist.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Empress Brosephine posted:

Also I’ve only read Watchmen by Alan Moore are any of his other stuff good

Skip Neonomicon unless you want 30 or so pages of fishman rape.

Top 10 is one of my favorite comics, but skip the post-Moore issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

If I wanted to get started with the Hulk but don’t particularly like the verbose Stan Lee writing style from the 60s, what’s a recommended starting point? Malntlo? David?