Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

withak posted:

I think you will find that there is nothing Stephenson does that is not dorky.

My favorite is his attempt to actually make the sword fighting program from Snow Crash.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/260688528/clang

https://qz.com/268852/neal-stephensons-failed-500000-video-game-and-the-perils-of-using-kickstarter/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

MrWilderheap posted:

. Haven't finished it yet but I'd love it if he wrote another book in this universe, the technology is cool and I think the idea of people organizing into phyles as nations become irrelevant is really interesting

I'd really like if he'd return to some of his early settings, but there is approximately Zero chance he would be able to have the same attitude and feeling of Snow Crash or Diamond Age. (A 2017/2018 sequel to Zodiac would be pretty fascinating)

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Neither has Stephenson. :colbert:

:golfclap:

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

rotinaj posted:

(A 2017/2018 sequel to Zodiac would be pretty fascinating)
It might also just be 1700 pages of the main character cursing at the current administration.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

tetrapyloctomy posted:

It might also just be 1700 pages of the main character cursing at the current administration.

Cruising the streets at night in a blacked out, silent Tesla.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
With a cylinder of Nitrous Oxide on the passenger seat keeping him company

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Halfway through Snow Crash for the first time and I can say its pretty good so far!

Which of his should I follow it up with /avoid like the plague?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Bilirubin posted:

Halfway through Snow Crash for the first time and I can say its pretty good so far!

The Diamond Age is similar in tone and was written next. Zodiac is similiarly pulpy and a lot of fun. The Big U was his first book and has some pronounced flaws but is ultimately still a lot of fun. After those the style he was writing in started changing. The newer stuff is still good but I wish he'd do something like his earlier books again.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Bilirubin posted:

I think Reamde is the only one of his that I'd say you can avoid and not miss much on. Seveneves isn't as good as his other stuff, but parts of it are excellent so it's worth a read.

Anathem I still say is his masterpiece but the Baroque Cycle is a close second if you have the time for it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
They are all good, read them all in order of publication.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bilirubin posted:

Are you more into the action adventure part, or the philosophical part? If you like the philosophy, then Cryptonomicon or the Baroque Cycle. If you prefer the adventure, then The Cobweb or Interface. But before any of those, Diamond Age is your best bet, it was real good.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

rotinaj posted:

Are you more into the action adventure part, or the philosophical part? If you like the philosophy, then Cryptonomicon or the Baroque Cycle. If you prefer the adventure, then The Cobweb or Interface. But before any of those, Diamond Age is your best bet, it was real good.

Diamond Age probably has a more frustrating ending than Snow Crash though.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Atlas Hugged posted:

Diamond Age probably has a more frustrating ending than Snow Crash though.

We are discussing Neal Stephenson, that should be assumed. The man is like Stephen King, can't handle endings in a satisfying manner.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Thanks for all of the recommendations! I will definitely be reading more of his.

(I get the criticisms of his character development, but they are so parts of the scene he has built I don't really seem to care that much at this point)

In answer to the question, probably more the philosophy? The action sequences can be mixed for me. But its the whole of the constructed worlds that I find attractive to think about in more detail.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Bilirubin posted:

Thanks for all of the recommendations! I will definitely be reading more of his.

(I get the criticisms of his character development, but they are so parts of the scene he has built I don't really seem to care that much at this point)

In answer to the question, probably more the philosophy? The action sequences can be mixed for me. But its the whole of the constructed worlds that I find attractive to think about in more detail.

Anathem for sure.

Tragedienne
Sep 7, 2007

"I need your stage no longer. I dance for myself."

Bilirubin posted:

You are so going to love Anathem.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Took me 3 goes before I got past the first 30 or so pages of Anathem. Don't know why, it's an amazing book that I've re-read twice.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

AlphaDog posted:

Took me 3 goes before I got past the first 30 or so pages of Anathem. Don't know why, it's an amazing book that I've re-read twice.

I never actually read Anathem, because I've tried a number of times and had this same problem. Then again, I'm one of the only people in this thread banging on about how good his airport fiction is, despite more or less liking the philosophical stuff he's done. I do happen to have the audiobook from a few hard drives ago. I should probably give it another try.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
What blocked me from getting into it for a while was the weird language they were using. The gently caress is a "speelycaptor" anyway?

Then I persevered, and it was one of the best books I've ever read.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Anathem is a pretty middling book for me. I like that a lot of it is a homage to A Canticle of Leibowitz, but the long explanations of some of the concepts made my eyes glaze over. Maybe I'd do better now that I'm not 19 anymore.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Casimir Radon posted:

Anathem is a pretty middling book for me. I like that a lot of it is a homage to A Canticle of Leibowitz, but the long explanations of some of the concepts made my eyes glaze over. Maybe I'd do better now that I'm not 19 anymore.

And this wasn't a problem in other Stephenson novels?

Memento posted:

What blocked me from getting into it for a while was the weird language they were using. The gently caress is a "speelycaptor" anyway?

A handheld recording device I believe.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Atlas Hugged posted:

And this wasn't a problem in other Stephenson novels?
There was a lot of math I didn't get at the time.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Atlas Hugged posted:

A handheld recording device I believe.

Sure, I know that now, but lots of really, really lovely sci-fi replaces words for regular things with weirdo terms often with too many apostrophes* in them. It was just a barrier to get over for me.

*>0

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Memento posted:

Sure, I know that now, but lots of really, really lovely sci-fi replaces words for regular things with weirdo terms often with too many apostrophes* in them. It was just a barrier to get over for me.

*>0

Obligatory XKCD specifically calling out Anathem

https://xkcd.com/483

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Hackan Slash posted:

Obligatory XKCD specifically calling out Anathem

https://xkcd.com/483

I like that it's a probability because despite the improbability Anathem is good as gently caress.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

MrWilderheap posted:

I just picked up The Diamond Age, and man it's really good! Last book of his I read was Cryptonomocon, which I thought was ok but it took me forever to finish. With the Diamond Age I can't put it down. Haven't finished it yet but I'd love it if he wrote another book in this universe, the technology is cool and I think the idea of people organizing into phyles as nations become irrelevant is really interesting.

Also I want to know if Stephenson says Nippon instead of Japan in real life while speaking conversationally. I hope so, it's so endearingly dorky.

Read Too Like The Lightning. A central conceit of the setting is the phyle thing.

Technically the central conceit is "what if flying cars?", but new social organization is one of the more obvious effects. :v:

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Nevvy Z posted:

I like that it's a probability because despite the improbability Anathem is good as gently caress.

I've always disliked that comic because Anathem has an actual good reason for doing things that way.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

taser rates posted:

I've always disliked that comic because Anathem has an actual good reason for doing things that way.

I agree. And I always thought Stephenson was being a bit tongue-in-cheek with it and making fun of the trope by coming up with random objects to replace instead of the typical "plascrete" or whatever. "Hamburgs" or whatever it was stood out to me that way.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Notahippie posted:

I agree. And I always thought Stephenson was being a bit tongue-in-cheek with it and making fun of the trope by coming up with random objects to replace instead of the typical "plascrete" or whatever. "Hamburgs" or whatever it was stood out to me that way.

Looking back, that whole bit about the speelycaptor and it's compatibility with farspark is probably poking fun at the idea of taking the names of technology too seriously. "they aren't even compatible formats"

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
In his very next book he makes an entire plot point out of made up words with nonsensical apostrophes and why they don't make any sense.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Atlas Hugged posted:

Anathem for sure.

Tragedienne posted:

You are so going to love Anathem.

OK, bought it this morning and will put it near the top of the stack. Thanks for the recommendation!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Honestly, my only problem with Anathem is that there is a quite long part about 3/4 of the way through that is really dull and which I can't recall serving the plot in any way at all other than to fill in Neal's obligatory checklist of badass traits the protagonist has (in this case, "can trek through miles of frozen tundra")

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

precision posted:

Honestly, my only problem with Anathem is that there is a quite long part about 3/4 of the way through that is really dull and which I can't recall serving the plot in any way at all other than to fill in Neal's obligatory checklist of badass traits the protagonist has (in this case, "can trek through miles of frozen tundra")

I think most people consider that to be the weakest point of the novel. It also wasn't as bad on a reread.

Tragedienne
Sep 7, 2007

"I need your stage no longer. I dance for myself."
I would go further to say that part is much better on a reread.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
I'm about half way through D.O.D.O.

JESUS CHRIST GET ON WITH IT

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Unkempt posted:

Did you actually get into a neal stephenson novel expecting him to be concise and not faff around for hundreds of pages?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Anathem is good and if you can tolerate Anathem then you can get into Cryptonomicon and then go deep into Baroque Cycle.

I thought Reamde was bad because Stephenson is no stranger to changing reality/science/maths to fit the story he's trying to tell, but Reamde is trying to be set in 'the real world' while featuring the world's worst MMO and the craziest shenanigans.

Basically everything Sokolov does, and the whole sequence with Csongor+co on the ocean on a boat, feels like something that fits in better with the world of Snow Crash. I genuinely thought I had almost no problem with suspension of disbelief, and then I read Reamde.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Unkempt posted:

but is it any good?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I forgot he even had a new book coming out, and I don't think I ever knew it was co-written. It's a spy thriller again? OK, I'm down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

branedotorg posted:

but is it any good?

Finished it now, and I'm going with 'no'. I found it extremely frustrating, very slow to get going, hundreds of pages of crap I had no interest in and at the end when it looked like things were coming together it just stops with little resolved.

• Locked thread