Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Unkempt posted:

at the end when it looked like things were coming together it just stops with little resolved.

Are you sure it was a Neal Stephenson book? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Are you sure it was a Neal Stephenson book? :confused:

To be fair his last three books have had like actual endings. And The Baroque Cycle ended about as well as a project of that scope could have.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

To be fair his last three books have had like actual endings. And The Baroque Cycle ended about as well as a project of that scope could have.

I'm not sure if I'd count Seveneves as having an ending. I mean maybe an ending and then another 1/3rd of a book.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not sure if I'd count Seveneves as having an ending. I mean maybe an ending and then another 1/3rd of a book.

That was clearly a fan fiction sequel that somehow accidentally got shipped with the real book.

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I never even finished that part of the book. I just said gently caress it.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

AllNewJonasSalk posted:

I never even finished that part of the book. I just said gently caress it.

Hell, same.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I legit remember none of the plot of the last third of Seveneves, just setting details, despite reading it only a year or so ago. I also remember the setting details being really, really dumb.

Kinda mad that this is part of the same book that described the end of terrestrial civilization so vividly that I cried in public.

Tragedienne
Sep 7, 2007

"I need your stage no longer. I dance for myself."
That last third of Seveneves feels like it should have been part of a sequel. The characters are almost completely overshadowed by the Stephensonian descriptions of every single piece of technology, and how it relates to The Epic. Even the audiobook falls flat, thanks to switching narrators for this part, and he just... drones.

Seveneves Part Three: A speculative fiction episode of How It's Made, except it never ends.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
That last third of Seveneves feels like it never should have been written.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Anyone got questions?

If you've got a goodreads account the link to ask is here, but I'm not sure if you have to have read something of his to be eligible to ask questions. Let me know if you can't ask your own and I'll copy'n'paste them over there.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

So DODO. I recently got to the point where they go to the "Trapezoid". This would seem to suggest that this is a parallel dimension or strand from our own. Did I miss any other anachronisms to that point of the book?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Memento posted:

Anyone got questions?

If you've got a goodreads account the link to ask is here, but I'm not sure if you have to have read something of his to be eligible to ask questions. Let me know if you can't ask your own and I'll copy'n'paste them over there.

Weird I shelved one over there and got nothing.

Ask him about his opinion about Hobby Lobby and cuneiform tablets
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.e406e847bca8

InvisiBill
Jan 14, 2004
_ _

Pillbug

Casimir Radon posted:

So DODO. I recently got to the point where they go to the "Trapezoid". This would seem to suggest that this is a parallel dimension or strand from our own. Did I miss any other anachronisms to that point of the book?

It becomes a minor point later on, but it's not explained how the "Trapezoid" becomes the "Pentagon", but it is mentioned. Once they start mucking around and changing strands, I don't think the characters have any real way to say what was original or changed, by themselves or any "opposition".

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

InvisiBill posted:

It becomes a minor point later on, but it's not explained how the "Trapezoid" becomes the "Pentagon", but it is mentioned. Once they start mucking around and changing strands, I don't think the characters have any real way to say what was original or changed, by themselves or any "opposition".
Ok.

I'm most of the way through now. I was a little wary at first but this has turned into the kind of fun pulpy insanity that I was hoping it would be. I'd heartily recommend this book.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I'm only about halfway through so far, but I love the concept behind it. Magic is real, sure. But witches being basically Fraa Jaad is a really fun way to explain it.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
Just finished DODO last night. I really like how it pokes fun at modern PC office culture, but am a little disappointed in the character development and I think the writing was a little stilted at times. Overall I do think it was time well spent reading it, and the premise is pretty fun and gets used to good effect.

Now that I think about it, I guess I was looking forward to some more Anathem-esque exploration of magic and time travel, but I do agree that the witches basically being quantom mechanics manipulators à la Fraa Jad, albeit more unaware of how it works was pretty fun.

I also love The Lay of Walmart. Fatlanders!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I want a sequel now. I'm hoping they don't just cap things off with this DODO Files thing.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
So it's actually worth reading then?

tim0mit
Dec 28, 2008
I enjoyed it. It was much more lighthearted than his recent work. Reminded me of snow crash more than say reamde.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Kinda nice to see Stephenson getting back to a more pulpy, less hifalutin style.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
How much I like the ending of DODO depends a whole lot on whether I think the story is meant to be continued in another book or books by the same authors, another book or books by one of the two authors, another book or books by completely different authors, in an MMORPG that will be lucky to get into development hell let alone out of it, or not at all.

(Has anyone said, anywhere, which of these cases is likely?)

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Thranguy posted:

How much I like the ending of DODO depends a whole lot on whether I think the story is meant to be continued in another book or books by the same authors, another book or books by one of the two authors, another book or books by completely different authors, in an MMORPG that will be lucky to get into development hell let alone out of it, or not at all.

(Has anyone said, anywhere, which of these cases is likely?)
There's something called The DODO Files that's coming out on something called the Bound app. It's supposed to be short stories or something like that. I'd prefer it if they just wrote another bool.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Neal Stephenson should really try to stop making "augmented reality novels" a thing. Remember the sword game? Yeah, nobody does.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I think people do remember it, but mainly as a highly visible kickstarter fuckup.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
William Gibson really has aged more gracefully into the world he once wrote about than Stephenson, though with the age gap it may be an unfair comparison.

Even still, what Gibson did with Agrippa was at least a decade ahead of its time and way more interesting and cool than The Mongoliad or The Sword Game

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
And Gibson's last book was awesome.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
I dunno, I sort of liked The Mongoliad - if only for being set in a relatively novel historical context.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!
I just picked up Void Star. While I'm not far enough into it to recommend yet, it definitely has some Gibson/Stephenson touches to it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Atlas Hugged posted:

And Gibson's last book was awesome.

Easily better than anything Stephenson has done bar Anathem or Baroque.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007
It looks like The Mongoliad books are on sale for $.99 each. When it comes to Stephenson I've only read Seveneves but I enjoyed it for the most part. Is the series worth picking up for less than $5?

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Disillusionist posted:

It looks like The Mongoliad books are on sale for $.99 each. When it comes to Stephenson I've only read Seveneves but I enjoyed it for the most part. Is the series worth picking up for less than $5?

Neal only wrote a few sections of each book, they were written by committee. Book one has 7 authors. It's basically generic fantasy by a bunch of guys who really like swordfighting.

I enjoyed them enough to read the first two books, but not enough to read the third when it came out. There are worse things to spend the five bucks on. A better thing to spend the five bucks on would be Anathem, the Baroque Cycle, or Snow Crash.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

I'm nearly done with a re-read of System of the World, and I have a history question: Daniel spends a good deal of time in the book working on creating the Logic Mill with Leibniz for Peter the Great of Russia. I know in real life Leibniz worked on mechanical calculators, but did he ever make a serious effort to construct a "thinking machine" like the Logic Mill or a digital computer? And was Peter ever actually involved in any way, or is this just a case of Stephenson introducing yet another ridiculous(ly entertaining) historical figure for kicks?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Mr. Peepers posted:

I'm nearly done with a re-read of System of the World, and I have a history question: Daniel spends a good deal of time in the book working on creating the Logic Mill with Leibniz for Peter the Great of Russia. I know in real life Leibniz worked on mechanical calculators, but did he ever make a serious effort to construct a "thinking machine" like the Logic Mill or a digital computer? And was Peter ever actually involved in any way, or is this just a case of Stephenson introducing yet another ridiculous(ly entertaining) historical figure for kicks?

I think this is just supposed to be one of those tenuous links/parallels between The Baroque Cycle and Cryptonomicon. Daniel works on the logic mill alongside a real brilliant philosopher while Lawrence Waterhouse helps Alan Turing invent an actual computer during WW2. Note it's the fictional character doing the heavy lifting in The Baroque Cycle and Turing in Cryptonomicon.

I can't find any references to Peter the Great being tied to early attempts at mechanical computing, though I'm sure he did sponsor plenty of inventors and natural philosophers as he modernized Russia.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I always thought Leibniz working with Peter the Great was an oblique reference to The Turk:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Turk

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Also he needed a way to get the gold plates to Russia where they could be stolen by the nazis and shipped to Japan on a sub that sinks on the way

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
There might be a Snow Crash adaptation coming from Amazon next year:

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/amazon-studios-lazarus-snow-crash-ringworld-1202576048/

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

withak posted:

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/amazon-studios-lazarus-snow-crash-ringworld-1202576048/
There's a better chance of it being good than a SyFy Original.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

withak posted:

I just hope they "age up" YT at least a couple years because *tugs collar* yikes.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Reading the new book he co-authored, The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O. - he made it all the way to page 33 without a "Hello I am Neal Stephenson, a smarty-man" segment, so clearly have a co-author helps. Enjoyable otherwise, if invariably about Boston and featuring odd uses of internet speak for no discernible reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

angerbeet posted:

Reading the new book he co-authored, The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O. - he made it all the way to page 33 without a "Hello I am Neal Stephenson, a smarty-man" segment, so clearly have a co-author helps. Enjoyable otherwise, if invariably about Boston and featuring odd uses of internet speak for no discernible reason.

OK but how many pages does he go before talking about how cool samurai swords are? I think the current record is the Baroque Cycle which makes it around 1000 pages.

• Locked thread