Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My biggest problem with Seveneves I just hit the time skip is that it really just Tells instead of Shows to a degree I find aggrivating. It's a lot of writing which amounts to "Bob gave a speech. It was an important speech and it said all the things he needed to say. History books would record the speech. He said it well. Then Bob discovered a problem. Fortunately Bob solved the problem and it was resolved." I know they can't hyper-emphasis everything in what amounts to an already extremely long book but I got really tired after a few repeated "a thing happens."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I didn't hate Seveneves but I did find it a little frustrating at points. I didn't like the last third of the book as much and felt it really should have been its own thing instead of shoehorned in and resolved so quickly.

I will say though that JBF was one of the most unlikable, annoying, frustrating book characters I've ever encountered. I get that was intentional but holy poo poo was she aggravating. It's almost impressive how hatable she was.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My mental image of JBF was Clinton but that was formed during the early moments and doesn't fit her well later on.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

How do you pronounce Seveneves? Seven-eevs or seven-evs?

By the end of the first part there are literally Seven Eves.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NmareBfly posted:

https://deadline.com/2016/06/seveneves-movie-ron-howard-brian-grazer-bill-broyles-apollo-13-skydance-1201769130/

We'll see, I guess! I think the front 2/3 could make a pretty amazing movie but who knows how they'll try to shoehorn in the ending. Just an after-credits teaser scene with someone touching down would be enough, IMO -- but then without showing off the races there's not much point to the title. This is still early-days stuff, who knows if it actually goes anywhere.

The title still works fine with the ending even without the future. It's still Seven Eves.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I genuinely think that if he wanted to do a flash-forward it should have been an epilogue at best. Leave enough to the imagination instead of providing just enough to get answers that are unsatisfying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

To be fair his last three books have had like actual endings. And The Baroque Cycle ended about as well as a project of that scope could have.

I'm not sure if I'd count Seveneves as having an ending. I mean maybe an ending and then another 1/3rd of a book.

• Locked thread