Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tragedienne
Sep 7, 2007

"I need your stage no longer. I dance for myself."

Bilirubin posted:

Thanks for all of the recommendations! I will definitely be reading more of his.

(I get the criticisms of his character development, but they are so parts of the scene he has built I don't really seem to care that much at this point)

In answer to the question, probably more the philosophy? The action sequences can be mixed for me. But its the whole of the constructed worlds that I find attractive to think about in more detail.

You are so going to love Anathem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tragedienne
Sep 7, 2007

I would go further to say that part is much better on a reread.

Tragedienne
Sep 7, 2007

That last third of Seveneves feels like it should have been part of a sequel. The characters are almost completely overshadowed by the Stephensonian descriptions of every single piece of technology, and how it relates to The Epic. Even the audiobook falls flat, thanks to switching narrators for this part, and he just... drones.

Seveneves Part Three: A speculative fiction episode of How It's Made, except it never ends.

• Locked thread