Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I still can't get over how dumb the concept of seven races that have frequent contact and close (and even intimate) relationships but somehow have managed to avoid interbreeding to the point that seeing a mixed-race person is rare is. It makes basically zero sense on any level, and requires a huge amount of authorial fiat to just declare that's how it is. Adding the :biotruths: strong racial determinant of behavior and identity makes it even worse.

Basically can we chop off the entire third section of the book and replace it with something that doesn't rely on such a dumb premise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

If the book was set on a fictional planet that was superficially similar to 20th-century Earth but had that kind of divergent history, would it be easier for you to suspend your disbelief? It sounds to me like you're not letting yourself think of the setting as fictional alternate-reality Earth, but instead interpreting it as real-life modern Earth and pointing out all the inconsistencies between real life and the fictional setting.

Setting a story in an environment that's familiar to the readers and then revealing that the assumptions they made from that familiarity are wrong is a pretty solid narrative technique. Take Anathem, for a lesser example. You probably thought through the entire first 2/3rds of the book that all of the characters were standard-issue human, because there was nothing to indicate otherwise, until you got to see an actual human from Earth and were told how unsettling and different Earth humans looked compared to what the main characters looked like.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I legit remember none of the plot of the last third of Seveneves, just setting details, despite reading it only a year or so ago. I also remember the setting details being really, really dumb.

Kinda mad that this is part of the same book that described the end of terrestrial civilization so vividly that I cried in public.

• Locked thread