Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I decided to use my audible membership to get a copy of Stephenson's Interface(Haven't read Interface in like 9 or 10 years) and am like 11 hours into it, have 13 to go. Hearing some of the futuretech Stephenson had in mind, while hearing about antiquated poo poo that was old in 1998 is really friggin' funny. It's a fairly fun story, too. Not his best, but if I'm not mistaken, it was his first thing since Snow Crash, and feels like it. Dude loves him some similes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

DroneRiff posted:

I'm currently working on the audiobook of Interface. There's something quiet fun about how dated somw of the tech is and yet we're still working on brain-chips, it hits the spot. Plus is long enough to kill a month's communiting time.

If you like Interface, which I also thought was shockingly good and had a fairly solid ending, try The Cobweb after that. I wish Stephenson had done more like those two books.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

You think the story that opens with the Deliverator delivering Mafia Pizza at katana-point is very close to reality?

Maybe you should take off the goggles and go into the city sometime, man. See what the real world is like.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

WarLocke posted:

The Sumerian stuff in Snow Crash never came across as 'serious' to me.

In a book with Mafia pizza delivery services, a crazy Eskimo who kills with ice knives and keeps a nuke in his motorcycle's sidecar, and skateboards with anti-personnel vibration bomb things on them, treating the Sumerian language meta-meme thing seriously is a sort of silliness in itself.

While it may not be serious, it still takes up a huge amount of space in the book that could continue to go to crazy technojargon and 3d Internet Clubs.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm listening to the Audiobook of Snow Crash, and hooooooly poo poo are the Sumerian history lessons painful to get through. It's just a terrible info dump and is super painful to get through. If it weren't for regular interruptions thanks to YT and such, I'd have lost my mind and given up listening before now.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Both the first 2/3rds of Seveneves and the last 1/3rd of it were very good. Unfortunately, they should not have been one volume. Should have really been a book 1/book 2 thing, with both chunks being given a full novel's time to explore their ideas.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

MrWilderheap posted:

. Haven't finished it yet but I'd love it if he wrote another book in this universe, the technology is cool and I think the idea of people organizing into phyles as nations become irrelevant is really interesting

I'd really like if he'd return to some of his early settings, but there is approximately Zero chance he would be able to have the same attitude and feeling of Snow Crash or Diamond Age. (A 2017/2018 sequel to Zodiac would be pretty fascinating)

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bilirubin posted:

Halfway through Snow Crash for the first time and I can say its pretty good so far!

Which of his should I follow it up with /avoid like the plague?

Are you more into the action adventure part, or the philosophical part? If you like the philosophy, then Cryptonomicon or the Baroque Cycle. If you prefer the adventure, then The Cobweb or Interface. But before any of those, Diamond Age is your best bet, it was real good.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Atlas Hugged posted:

Diamond Age probably has a more frustrating ending than Snow Crash though.

We are discussing Neal Stephenson, that should be assumed. The man is like Stephen King, can't handle endings in a satisfying manner.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

AlphaDog posted:

Took me 3 goes before I got past the first 30 or so pages of Anathem. Don't know why, it's an amazing book that I've re-read twice.

I never actually read Anathem, because I've tried a number of times and had this same problem. Then again, I'm one of the only people in this thread banging on about how good his airport fiction is, despite more or less liking the philosophical stuff he's done. I do happen to have the audiobook from a few hard drives ago. I should probably give it another try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Unkempt posted:

I'm about half way through D.O.D.O.

JESUS CHRIST GET ON WITH IT

Did you actually get into a neal stephenson novel expecting him to be concise and not faff around for hundreds of pages?

• Locked thread