Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
I loved the bleakness, a book has never given me the sense of mounting horror and dread I felt when the characters suspected and finally confirmed that Ymir had become a death ship. The real kicker was how necessary it was even after continuing to kill what few people they had left. Creepy as gently caress.

Der Luftwaffle fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jun 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
I kind of want to see this optioned as a miniseries just because watching ground level scenes of the French Foreign Legion dug in at a launch site, gunning down waves of desperate people while thermobarics go off in the distance and the Venezuelan navy gets nuked would be chilling and cool as hell.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

superstepa posted:

What should I read next if I really liked The Diamond Age, didn't mind Snow Crash but couldn't get into Cryptonomicon?

I don't know how well it's regarded here, but I thought Interface was pretty great. It has some of the same social order upheavals and underdog qualities as The Diamond Age.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Atlas Hugged posted:

I guess I disagree with that. The BSG president is too good of a human being and isn't paranoid really.

It makes more sense when I think of it as a good person gone bad under the strain. She has to make the first nuclear strike in history, leaves her family to die, then watches her friend die after making it to safety, so she's gone even loopier than BSG's hallucinating Roslin.

Incidentally, were the events leading to her trip on the X37 explained? I can't remember if the guy with her was an aide or minister or why he was shot.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

precision posted:

I don't know why but I am having a real hard time working up the energy to read DODO. I don't expect I'll dislike it or anything, I just... I dunno. Co-authored books have a really spotty track record in my experience, The Talisman and Good Omens being massive exceptions to that.

A coauthor seems like a good idea to balance some of Stephenson's excesses. I think he had one with Interface and that was a pretty fun read.

• Locked thread