Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Seveneves kindle version currently $3.67 on Amazon, if anyone in this thread hasn't picked it up yet. Going to start it on the train home tonight and hopefully catch up with the myriad of black bars over the last 5-odd pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Someone will have to explain that reason to me then, because I've read it and didn't think it was anything else other than a concatenation.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

exmachina posted:

Palindrome

welp I'm an idiot.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
This article helped me somewhat with visualisations, but if someone came up with some diagrams that would be pretty sweet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Momentum_exchange_tether

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

blastron posted:

I still can't get over how dumb the concept of seven races that have frequent contact and close (and even intimate) relationships but somehow have managed to avoid interbreeding to the point that seeing a mixed-race person is rare is. It makes basically zero sense on any level, and requires a huge amount of authorial fiat to just declare that's how it is. Adding the :biotruths: strong racial determinant of behavior and identity makes it even worse.

Basically can we chop off the entire third section of the book and replace it with something that doesn't rely on such a dumb premise?

Yeah the fact that the Moirans and the Teklans hadn't coalesced into one big melting pot race by this time was pretty ridiculous. They're genetically attracted to each other by design, are they going to just not have kids?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
He should have absolutely released it separately. Given a proper amount of time and space to work with it I'm sure he could have figured out how to make it a good story. Possibly by having a ship full of people from Urnud, Tro, and Fthos turn up and explain where the Agent came from.

Hey I know it probably would have sucked but you can't hate on me for wanting more Anathem.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Nebakenezzer posted:

So, I just finished seveneves

For your point 3. I think there was some mention of the Pingers genetically altering themselves to be more suitable for underwater life?

Definitely agree with your assessment of the characterisation in the book. Fairly thin for the most part.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Read Anathem, it's incredible. I first read Diamond Age when I got into Stephenson, and thought "ok he's amazing at world building and exposition but can't do endings, this is still cool".

The ending of Anathem shows that he definitely can do endings. Not sure why he chooses not to most of the time. Even Cryptonomicon didn't have a great ending.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Sounds fairly dumb but I enjoyed Seveneves enough that I'll sign in for the ride.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Atlas Hugged posted:

I just couldn't give a poo poo at all about Randy and the Dentist.

Yep, same here. And the ending, same as The Diamond Age, felt like it should have been about 60-80 pages longer.

I read Cryptonomicon and Diamond Age and thought to myself "oh well this guy can't do endings, still great stories and world building". Anathem proved that to be incredibly wrong, but I guess he doesn't always have time to flesh them out? :shrug:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I would have happily had the second part of Seveneves be as long as the first part. It could have used another hundred pages fleshing out the middle, and another hundred pages at the end showing us how everything played out after the Diggers and Pingers had been contacted.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Neither has Stephenson. :colbert:

:golfclap:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
What blocked me from getting into it for a while was the weird language they were using. The gently caress is a "speelycaptor" anyway?

Then I persevered, and it was one of the best books I've ever read.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Atlas Hugged posted:

A handheld recording device I believe.

Sure, I know that now, but lots of really, really lovely sci-fi replaces words for regular things with weirdo terms often with too many apostrophes* in them. It was just a barrier to get over for me.

*>0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Anyone got questions?

If you've got a goodreads account the link to ask is here, but I'm not sure if you have to have read something of his to be eligible to ask questions. Let me know if you can't ask your own and I'll copy'n'paste them over there.

• Locked thread