Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I watched this for an uncomfortably long time, expecting dickbutt to appear any second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Toph Bei Fong posted:

I can understand both viewpoints, honestly.

This is what bogged down Reamde (Are we at an exciting part? Was the book moving too fast? Time for a digression!). It's what makes Justin Cronin almost unreadable (Hey! A minor character! Time for an extensive back story right before they never appear again!). It's what makes Pynchon the grand master (This thing? Yeah, it's also related to quantum physics, stoner culture from the 60s, racism, the industrialism that has been slowly destroying society since the rise of machinery, and, yes, it's a bad pun too. Scary, isn't it, how everything is connected?).

It's a balance that is really hard to strike, and one that will definitely not work for all people at all times.

You're right, Pynchon is a good touchstone here, but he's the only writer I have ever read who can work in both modes seamlessly. Even other geniuses like Nabokov tend to stumble a bit when aiming for that type of versatility.

Which probably should be an indicator to authors like Stephenson, but at the end of the day he's going to do what he wants to do and not everyone is going to find it readable.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I'm about 50 pages into Seveneves -- just for my peace of mind, could someone just say Yes/No as to whether we ever find out what the Agent was? I'm fine with Stephenson not resolving this point if that's the case, but for some reason it irks me not to know for sure whether he will or won't.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Samopsa posted:

He actually just states it in the opening chapter that they would never know what happened to the moon, just that it suddenly unraveled.

Oh right, I should have caught that. Thanks anyway to everyone for replying.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Samopsa posted:

I would rate it in the lower end of his books, but above reamde and big u. For reference, my favourites are anathem and cryptonomicon, followed by snow crash and diamond age.

I still really enjoyed the book and finished it in two (long) sittings though. The ideas and exploring the tech is cool but also quite pedestrian compared to the more outlandish Sci fi of the rest of his books, and I mostly agree about the weak storytelling that more people have noticed.

The only way I can tell you're not me is that I haven't read SC and DA yet. Otherwise I agree completely with all of this.

The book is basically a big plate of chicken nachos. Not the best thing you could be eating, but it's good for the munchies and you're drat well going to finish it.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Yeah, Tekla was my favorite character. I like how she spoke fluent English but would drop her articles sometimes for emphasis because she knew it had a strong effect on the Americans.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I stalled out early in Part 3, but I'll finish it soon enough. Strangely, reading some of the spoilers in here has given me more interest in that section, rather than less.

And I think it's funny that we all complain to no end about Stephenson's style and construction and technique, and proceed to buy the next tome immediately upon release. "God, this book was frustrating. I finished it in two days."

I can't decide if that's a bug or a feature of Neal's work. :v:

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

precision posted:

Definitely :agreed: about the one-dimensional characters and lack of "Earth going nuts". Whatever problems you have with REAMDE, at least it had some pretty good characters.

I don't know about the "Earth going nuts" thing -- we can all picture pretty vividly how the world would behave if it were given two years to live, and I'm not sure anyone could do it justice in a novel. I think maybe Stephenson made the right decision to leave that to the reader's imagination. Kind of like the horror-movie trope of letting the viewer scare themselves.

But yeah, the characters are a bit flat.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Dr. Benway posted:

Still bothered by the Mars colony loose thread.

Since that was obviously intentional, I'm pretty sure we are meant to conclude that they died badly, because c'mon, there's no fuckin' way.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Dr. Benway posted:

That's what I'm going with too. Just that it's never mentioned again is weird.

If I were a betting man, I'd say that Neal wrote a bit of their perspective and wrapped up the plotline, and then had it edited out. Hard to make that just a throwaway reference somewhere else in the book, since the rest is all from the Ring's perspective and they have no more information than the reader does.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I liked Seveneves, which may be mostly because I didn't read Part 3. Who needs to, when this thread exists?

Also just got a signed first edition of it for $20 which is rad. The illustrations inside the cover are great!

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

mallamp posted:

That really makes me want to go thrifting. I bet most people selling/giving away books these days don't give a poo poo about editions and just want to get rid of books taking space so there are bound to be more treasures like that

Yeah, I've picked up first edition hardcovers of Stephen King's Dark Tower II and III, which are each worth maybe a couple hundred or more, for under ten bucks each at Half-Price Books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

AllNewJonasSalk posted:

I never even finished that part of the book. I just said gently caress it.

Hell, same.

• Locked thread