Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Foolie
Dec 28, 2013

Cimber posted:

I wouldnt call it 'easy'. Accessable, yes. Easy, no.

It might also be that the draw of Neal Stephenson books are the joy that he takes at diving into subjects. It can be easier or harder to follow him along for the ride, but if it's not something you want to do, you probably won't like his books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foolie
Dec 28, 2013

Soggy Muffin posted:

Just finished The Diamond Age, and I was slightly disappointed with its ending. It's almost as if he spent too much time with world building and character development and then said "poo poo, I need to wrap this up in the next 50 pages..." The plot flow didn't seem well balanced and would lose momentum here and there, especially in the second half.

Nevertheless it was still an amazing book with a lot of interesting ideas and concepts. Anathem or Zodiak next?

I always found this to be the issue with coming of age stories. Having your protagonist grow up and struggle to find their place in the world is captivating and the basis of a great story. Trying to resolve all of the problems an actual person has as they come of age in the world is absurd. What his means is that, either your ending is unsatisfying because your protagonist is just barely getting her poo poo together or your ending is unbelievable, because your protagonist is some kind of superwoman.

Edit: Goddamnit, that was on page 1, not page 2.

• Locked thread