Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I love Zodiac. Anyone who has ever had to deal with explaining environmental health measurements to laypeople is going to have to take a five-minute :laffo: break when the protagonist talks about telling people that pollution levels are over three times the legal limit, because if he tells them that the concentration is actually almost 10,000 times the legal limit then no one will believe him.

withak fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Cimber posted:

That is very possible.

Now, how about this. Is Fraa Jad the same thing as Enoch Root?

Holy poo poo.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The first chapter is available to read here.

edit: Oh poo poo, it's actually out today. Guess I'm not getting anything done this afternoon.

withak fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 19, 2015

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If you didn't like Diamond Age then you are beyond help, sorry.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Guys the fact that the story jumps ahead 5,000 years is in every synopsis.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I thought that what was intended to be the departure of the Mars expedition got turned into the big split-off, at which point the Mars project got abandoned because they had bigger problems to deal with.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
My favorite part in Zodiac is when Our Hero is measuring contaminant levels in the creek and he always announces it as "more than twice the legal limit" because no one believes it when you say "10,000 times the legal limit".

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

awesmoe posted:

A compelling argument, but consider this - perhaps it is YOU who is the real racist!

Confirming: real racist spotted

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The former

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The former

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It's more futuristic.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I thought the entire purpose of the book was to answer "what would happen if the moon exploded".

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
edit: wrong thread

withak fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jun 13, 2016

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think maybe you had to read it in the 90s.

edit: vvv In the 90s when you were in high school is what I meant.

withak fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jul 26, 2016

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
https://www.gatesnotes.com/Books/Seveneves

Here he mentions that he has just shipped some kind of historical time travel book.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Gato posted:

im going to go reread red mars

Always sound advice.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

MrWilderheap posted:

I just picked up The Diamond Age, and man it's really good! Last book of his I read was Cryptonomocon, which I thought was ok but it took me forever to finish. With the Diamond Age I can't put it down. Haven't finished it yet but I'd love it if he wrote another book in this universe, the technology is cool and I think the idea of people organizing into phyles as nations become irrelevant is really interesting.

Also I want to know if Stephenson says Nippon instead of Japan in real life while speaking conversationally. I hope so, it's so endearingly dorky.

I think you will find that there is nothing Stephenson does that is not dorky.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
They are all good, read them all in order of publication.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
There might be a Snow Crash adaptation coming from Amazon next year:

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/amazon-studios-lazarus-snow-crash-ringworld-1202576048/

• Locked thread