Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

awesmoe posted:

I don't really get how people can think it's bad. Surely you understand that he's taking the same approach he took to (eg) philosophy in anathem, and applying it to tom clancy? Maybe the subject matter isn't your cup of tea but it's absolutely trademark stephenson

My complaint is that a lot of it is completely jettisoned with no payoff. What ever happens with the "War of Realignment"? It completely drops out of the novel and never comes back. That's a shitload of words wasted on something with no payoff. Maybe Stephenson was making some kind of a commentary on priorities and how as soon as somebody Dodge cared about was in danger that stopped to be important to him, but if that's the case then I think he could have cut the entire subplot by 50% and still made the same point. And if he was trying to make a pastiche of tehcno-thrillers that put in red herring plot points then it's even worse. To misquote the Filthy Critic, you can wink and laugh when you poo poo on my chest about how ironic is is, but I still have poo poo on my chest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

taser rates posted:

I've always disliked that comic because Anathem has an actual good reason for doing things that way.

I agree. And I always thought Stephenson was being a bit tongue-in-cheek with it and making fun of the trope by coming up with random objects to replace instead of the typical "plascrete" or whatever. "Hamburgs" or whatever it was stood out to me that way.

• Locked thread