Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soggy Muffin
Jul 29, 2003
Just finished The Diamond Age, and I was slightly disappointed with its ending. It's almost as if he spent too much time with world building and character development and then said "poo poo, I need to wrap this up in the next 50 pages..." The plot flow didn't seem well balanced and would lose momentum here and there, especially in the second half.

Nevertheless it was still an amazing book with a lot of interesting ideas and concepts. Anathem or Zodiak next?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soggy Muffin
Jul 29, 2003

Meiteron posted:

Speaking of pages, a couple years ago I got a chance to head to Seattle and visit the science and fiction museum that's in the Seattle Centre there when the original manuscript was still on display. Stephenson wrote the entire thing out on paper first, in longhand, before actually digitizing it for printing.

This is the snap I took of it at the time.

That is absolutely mind boggling. I can't imagine the motivation it takes to sit down everyday and slog your way through writing a 3,000+ page series by hand. I have Quicksilver sitting on my bookshelf like some ancient tome and don't even have the motivation to begin reading it.

• Locked thread