Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
I agree that Some Remarks is worth it for the Wired article alone.

Has it been explained what the deal is with wild animals saving the protagonists in both Cryptonomicon (komodo dragon) and Reamde (mountain lion)? I always assumed that the lion was a reference to Cryptonomicon, but I'm not entirely sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
I'm cooled off.
I'm re-reading Anathem a couple of years after powering through it and thinking it was too weird to be any good and consequently not really remembering any of the plot apart from a-bomb powered spaceship from different cosmos. Holy smokes, was I wrong! I'm actually pretty happy that I failed to appreciate it the first time around, because I now get to read it for what feels like the first time.

Actually, I haven't read a Stephenson book I didn't really, really like apart from Anathem (the first time). According to this thread, I am the only person alive who thinks both parts of Seveneves are great in their own ways - and that they absolutely should not be in separate books. The last third feels like the reward for schlepping - albeit with pleasure - through the orbital mechanics and OH THE HUMANITY of the first two thirds.

I guess I just enjoy good, nerdy, unnecessary stories :shrug:

Mzuri fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jan 14, 2017

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
I'm cooled off.
Just finished DODO last night. I really like how it pokes fun at modern PC office culture, but am a little disappointed in the character development and I think the writing was a little stilted at times. Overall I do think it was time well spent reading it, and the premise is pretty fun and gets used to good effect.

Now that I think about it, I guess I was looking forward to some more Anathem-esque exploration of magic and time travel, but I do agree that the witches basically being quantom mechanics manipulators à la Fraa Jad, albeit more unaware of how it works was pretty fun.

I also love The Lay of Walmart. Fatlanders!

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
I'm cooled off.
I dunno, I sort of liked The Mongoliad - if only for being set in a relatively novel historical context.

• Locked thread