Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
If you don't think that an ex-drug-running millionaire chasing his neice(?) who has been kidnapped by terrorists, assisted by an MI5 agent, a russian killing machine, a biker, survivalist family members, and a bunch of other poo poo I don't remember, while being hunted by a mountain lion is at least self aware if not outright satire, well I don't know what to say. I definitely understand not liking it, but he absolutely went out and wrote the most ridiculous series of events he could think of - doing so was kind of the point of the exercise, I think. I was honestly surprised there wasn't a nuke.
I kind of liked Reamde because I read it quite soon after Anathem and it was a nice relaxing ridiculous change of pace, while still keeping with the trademark entertaining digressions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Grim Up North posted:

Until Reamde I always used to pre-order Stephenson's books without bothering to read reviews. I won't do that anymore.

It's pretty bad.
I don't really get how people can think it's bad. Surely you understand that he's taking the same approach he took to (eg) philosophy in anathem, and applying it to tom clancy? Maybe the subject matter isn't your cup of tea but it's absolutely trademark stephenson

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

CaptainJuan posted:

To be fair, the matter being spoiled isn't particularly important. It's not like when someone spoiled the ending of Use of Weapons in the scifi thread a couple months back.

well, its kind of different from that, because seveneves has been out for four days and use of weapons has been out for 25 years

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

NmareBfly posted:

It's a minor thing, I know. Just saying is all.
It's explicitly addressed as a choice or cultural value of the blu team.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

gohmak posted:

Read Seven Eve's, Snow Crash, started Diamond Age. This guy is a racist. I'm out.

A compelling argument, but consider this - perhaps it is YOU who is the real racist!

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

How do you pronounce Seveneves? Seven-eevs or seven-evs?

adam and ev

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

Is there actually a good reason why it isn't just titled Seven Eves then? Y/N

y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
There's some interesting stuff in there about how different our interpretation of eg the bible would be if we had video recordings of everyone concerned, including the bit players, but that aspect is kinda skimmed over. It's not really what he wanted to write about, I guess.

• Locked thread