Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!

Meiteron posted:

Speaking of pages, a couple years ago I got a chance to head to Seattle and visit the science and fiction museum that's in the Seattle Centre there when the original manuscript was still on display. Stephenson wrote the entire thing out on paper first, in longhand, before actually digitizing it for printing.

This is the snap I took of it at the time. It was impressive! I dunno what it says about me that I could look at that top page there and place where it actually took place in the whole series.

This is from days ago but, Not only did he hand write the whole manuscript, he also used three different fountain pens and inks for each of the main characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

As well as Roger Bacon, John Dee, The Count of St. Germaine.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

Semi-related: Anyone pickup Hieroglyph?

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

The first time I tried reading Anathem I made it about 120 pages and set it down. I was disappointed and couldn't understand what the gently caress was going on. Picked it up again about 8 months later and boy was I wrong. It's pretty good.

Maybe it's just me, but I find this true of any author worth a drat at world building. Once you get used to the prose and pacing everything just clicks. I had the same problem with the first half of Quicksilver. Really glad I didn't give up on that one.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

Still bothered by the Mars colony loose thread.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

mdemone posted:

Since that was obviously intentional, I'm pretty sure we are meant to conclude that they died badly, because c'mon, there's no fuckin' way.

That's what I'm going with too. Just that it's never mentioned again is weird.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

You could always invest that money in cowrie shells.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

I'll just leave this here.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

dublish posted:

Where and when did you get those, and is there any chance I might get that set for myself?

They're not mine, unfortunately. Morrow / Hillhouse released them around '04/'05. Just search: The Baroque Cycle Deluxe Edition. I keep looking them up every few years and always end up talking myself out of them. A while back it seemed that Quicksilver was the hardest to find, but after looking around yesterday it looks like The Confusion is the fly in the ointment right now.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

I read Interface during Barrack Obama's run for candidacy up to the DNC. It made me a little :tinfoil:. I enjoyed both it and Cobweb but really thought they were closer to the goal of airport fiction than Reamde. Maybe it had something to do with his uncle's influence.

Has anyone listened to the unabridged audio of Cryptanomicon? I keep meaning to check it out, but at forty hours I may just re-read it.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

Matt O'Dowd and Neal Stephenson have a chat on the newest episode of Space Time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjmlwdUK4RE

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

It's been ages, but if I remember correctly the fist 2/3 of Quicksilver is really the set-up or forward for the whole story. It's really hard to get through, but well worth it in the end. I'm not a huge European history buff and distinctly remember having my laptop open to Wikipedia while I was reading the first half.

Re: The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O. I hopped over to goodreads to see if there was any more discussion or info on the upcoming book and noticed that there was another entry for a separate upcoming book titled Fall. it's description was:

pitched as a high-tech retelling of PARADISE LOST featuring some characters from REAMDE.

Is this the same thing? I've never known Stephenson to release two books in the same year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

I just picked up Void Star. While I'm not far enough into it to recommend yet, it definitely has some Gibson/Stephenson touches to it.

• Locked thread