Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

precision posted:

Eliza's letter writing in The Confusion can get really annoying at times. The way they're integrated is kind of clumsy and they take a lot of words to give very little information. And I get that he's just being "realistic" but still, you know.

Remember that the encryption they use needs eight words to convey one. So yes it needs to be wordy. Also has anyone read les liaisons dangereaux? That whole section of the book reads like letters between French Quality, which it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Atlas Hugged posted:

The original travellers in Anathem were not from earth. Earth was actually the third dimension visited with the world in Anathem being the fourth. Also the ships weren't similar in design beyond rotating for gravity.

Also the Laterrans were identified by a map of the earth - which would be quite different after the White Rain

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I've only read Anathem in the audiobook format, where a lot of the problems with the vocabulary are glossed over by the phonetic pronunciation and the obfuscated pun is delivered directly, so I'd recommend that to people who have trouble getting through it. It's a lot easier to understand jeejaw when you hear it as "gewgaw", Bazian as "Bayesian", Concent as "Consent", Cnoüs as "Gnos(tic)", etc.

Concent puns on 'convent' and 'concentrate' and the umlaut means cnoüs should be more like 'know us' so that seems off. Also forgive my ignorance but what is the connection between baz and Bayes?

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Kesper North posted:

He was allowed to write the Baroque Cycle. I doubt his editors get a choice in the matter.

Write being the operative word, I believe he hand wrote the manuscript with a different pen for each character.

But this was clearly his magnum opus, whereas seven eves was not. I think that should count for something.

E: typo

exmachina fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 14, 2015

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

precision posted:

I believe he finished the entire thing (as said, by hand) before he even gave it to the publisher.

For something so extensive, it's remarkable that I can't think of much that should have been cut. Probably there didn't need to be quite so many of "Eliza's penpal transcripts" sections but that's about it, everything else is gold. Solomon's gold.

You shut your whore mouth. This is referencing French literature style of the time (such as les liasons dangereaux) and captures the viewpoint of an outsider to court in a real show don't tell way.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

precision posted:

I mean, yeah, I get that, and you're not wrong, but at the same time, it simply takes so long to read through them that, especially on a re-read, it becomes quite frustrating.

On my first read through I didn't mind them.

One of my favourite sections is when Eliza writes about how she is going to get French silver to England and beggar Haklhebre in the process

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Memento posted:

Someone will have to explain that reason to me then, because I've read it and didn't think it was anything else other than a concatenation.

Palindrome

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Doesn't regular genetic engineering of unborn children still happen by the time of the third part?

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

precision posted:

More than 15 years, surely, based off the ages of the Shaftoe lads.

Also Jean-jaques was conceived at the end on Quicksilver, and is a young man by the system of the world?

E: J-J was conceived before the glorious revolution in 1688, and The Juncto ends in 1702, as per wikipedia

exmachina fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jan 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Also he needed a way to get the gold plates to Russia where they could be stolen by the nazis and shipped to Japan on a sub that sinks on the way

• Locked thread