Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Finished it last night, and I have to agree that it was basically two thirds of a real good book, then one third of what might have been a cool separate book. Instead it comes across as half-baked and mostly full of exposition, with a tiny conflict and resolution thrown on at the end.

It's not like he can't do world building well, Anathema was really good. But the back third of Seveneves is like if the plot of Anathema was hastily resolved the second they left the concent.

Also I still have no clue what any of the poo poo orbiting the planet looks like, the pictures in the kindle edition aren't great. That's probably more due to me having a poo poo brain for that stuff though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
The plot would work pretty well as a setup for an Alpha Centauri style colony management game, come to think of it. Stephenson's Next Failed Kickstarter Second Business Venture?

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

I was always kind of uncomfortable with the end of Diamond Age where the protagonist is raped by Chinese (I think) soldiers, and apparently that all works out because nanites? Or something? It's been a while.

I mean it wasn't written in a creepy way or anything. it just seemed a weird thing to visit on that character. Weirder than all the Drummer stuff earlier on, which maybe says more about me than the book.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

I hope it goes better than his sword game kickstarter, at least.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

I think people do remember it, but mainly as a highly visible kickstarter fuckup.

• Locked thread