Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Comic books are pretty awesome. But sometimes they transcend plain awesomness into sheer badassitude. This thread is for those moments.

From Rat Queens #2: Our quartet of brave adventurers have been ambushed by a giant ogre. This how you deal with that bullshit:

PS: Read Rat Queens. What isn't posted in this thread is probably posted in the Funny Panels thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Perennial favorite Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. #1

Shirtless, akimbo laser pistols, cigar and wall crashing rocket cycle. Bro is totes alpha.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
We like punchfights because we are literally manchildren and also lady-manchildren(?!?). But often times it is more badass to use your brain meats instead of your laser eyes. In Sandman #4 Morpheus, weakened after decades of imprisonment, has descended into hell in search of relics of his lost power. A demon has his mask and only a battle of wits will see it returned!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
There is something even more badass than beating dudes up or out thinking them. That thing is getting your rear end kicked in defense of someone else. Even-even more badass is when that someone else you are getting aforementioned rear end kicked for is a dog. Because dogs rule. Hawkeye #1 introduces us Lucky, superhero name: Pizza Dog.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Soonmot posted:

Perennial favorite Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. #1

Shirtless, akimbo laser pistols, cigar and wall crashing rocket cycle. Bro is totes alpha.

I've seen this spread a ton, but never what leads up to it:
Nick Fury, chillin' in the desert smoking a cigar while a SHIELD missile descends upon him so he can test a new force shield (you'd think they'd use dummies for this). The shield is sabotaged, so Nick runs to a rocket powered sled as it speeds away, jumps on, and is dragged to safety.

Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. #1

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
This is still one of the most badass moments in a comic full of badass moments.
Let there be Skurge! Thor 362
Sorry about so many but they are all needed

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Uthor posted:

I've seen this spread a ton, but never what leads up to it:
Nick Fury, chillin' in the desert smoking a cigar while a SHIELD missile descends upon him so he can test a new force shield (you'd think they'd use dummies for this). The shield is sabotaged, so Nick runs to a rocket powered sled as it speeds away, jumps on, and is dragged to safety.

Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. #1

I... I didn't think it could ever be more badassed than the original pic. My god, was I wrong.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Star Wars: Republic #9

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Metal Loaf posted:

Star Wars: Republic #9

Immersion shattered. Lightsaber wounds don't bleed. :colbert:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Jango Fett: Open Seasons #3

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

AnonSpore posted:

Immersion shattered. Lightsaber wounds don't bleed. :colbert:

Haha, this was exactly what I thought.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Ki Adi Mundi doesn't get nearly enough respect as the badass Jedi he is. He certainly proves himself as awesome more than Boba Fett does.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Choco1980 posted:

Ki Adi Mundi doesn't get nearly enough respect as the badass Jedi he is. He certainly proves himself as awesome more than Boba Fett does.

That whole arc where he's solving a murder mystery while being poo poo on by his wives is rad. Say what you will about the EU, those comics are pretty awesome.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Ohmigosh, that was supposed to be the long faced jedi?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Indeed. It's probably a bit hard to tell because of the hat (which he bought in the previous issue because some children were making fun of his head).

Ki-Adi-Mundi was originally the main character, but he fell by the wayside once Ostrander and Duursema took over and made Quinlan Vos the (who was admittedly a more interesting character) focus of the book.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
A new Badass thread ought to have a One Punch Man panel on the first page...

Pretty much just excess violence.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
No badass thread is complete without Thor God of Van Art:

Source is Thor God of Thunder #11. Also if you need context further than what the scene already gives you, Thor and an older version of himself are in the heart of a bomb designed to kill all gods, and the bomb is going off.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

TwoPair posted:

No badass thread is complete without Thor God of Van Art:

Source is Thor God of Thunder #11. Also if you need context further than what the scene already gives you, Thor and an older version of himself are in the heart of a bomb designed to kill all gods, and the bomb is going off.

Gods :drat: do I love the name given to the "not" symbiote weapon. The annihilblade! :black101: Metal as gently caress.

To contribute to awesome van art, we have a back story in Uncanny Avengers of a young hammerless Thor throwing down with Apocalypse in say 17th century London. Thor is beaten pretty well so he follows Kang's advice to inadvertently have his mighty axe coated in his blood to give it a bitchin power-up ability to be able to start cleaving cosmic powered assholes.

So Thor being Thor flies a chariot of flying goats into Apocalypse's floating doom fortress and throws down again.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
"Only the at may survive"? What?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think it's "Only the fit may survive."

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Speaking of van art
New Gods 6

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

bobkatt013 posted:

Speaking of van art
New Gods 6

Both the narration and Kirby's art in this page are sublime :allears:
---

Context: Doctor Doom has kidnapped The Purple Man and created a device to harness his power of suggestion and project it across the entire world in order to make himself ruler of the planet.

Emperor Doom

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Zero_Tactility posted:

Both the narration and Kirby's art in this page are sublime :allears:
---

Context: Doctor Doom has kidnapped The Purple Man and created a device to harness his power of suggestion and project it across the entire world in order to make himself ruler of the planet.

Emperor Doom

If you get Kirby: King of Comics it has a bigger version of it. That is just one amazing part of that book.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Can't let the first page of the Badass Panels thread go by without putting in the most badass of badass.

From Weird Fantasy #18, published in 1953.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
That Weird Fantasy issue is so great. You really have to consider the time period for context as well. The issue came out in 1953 as noted, and the civil rights movement in America is often marked as solidly beginning 2 years later in 1955 (though I've often thought it silly to try and date something like that).

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Madrox posted:

That Weird Fantasy issue is so great. You really have to consider the time period for context as well. The issue came out in 1953 as noted, and the civil rights movement in America is often marked as solidly beginning 2 years later in 1955 (though I've often thought it silly to try and date something like that).

Gaines had some nasty arguments with distributors over that one; one of the proposed solutions was "just make the astronaut white."

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Madrox posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EC_Comics#.22Judgment_Day.22 posted:

This really made 'em go bananas in the Code czar's office. 'Judge Murphy was off his nut. He was really out to get us', recalls [EC editor] Feldstein. 'I went in there with this story and Murphy says, "It can't be a Black man". But ... but that's the whole point of the story!' Feldstein sputtered. When Murphy continued to insist that the Black man had to go, Feldstein put it on the line. 'Listen', he told Murphy, 'you've been riding us and making it impossible to put out anything at all because you guys just want us out of business'. [Feldstein] reported the results of his audience with the czar to Gaines, who was furious [and] immediately picked up the phone and called Murphy. 'This is ridiculous!' he bellowed. 'I'm going to call a press conference on this. You have no grounds, no basis, to do this. I'll sue you'. Murphy made what he surely thought was a gracious concession. 'All right. Just take off the beads of sweat'. At that, Gaines and Feldstein both went ballistic. 'gently caress you!' they shouted into the telephone in unison.
Captain America's got nothin' on that.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

They received death threats over Captain America, and the mayor of New York told them he has their back. I think they're both equally bad rear end stories, and they both precede major cultural shifts.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I guess I'm going to have to request whatever this Captain America story was then.

Also, I had to look up that Weird Fantasy issue on eBay, and it can be yours for under $100! Or you can apparently buy the cover as a print for some reason.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Die Laughing posted:

They received death threats over Captain America, and the mayor of New York told them he has their back. I think they're both equally bad rear end stories, and they both precede major cultural shifts.

Curious what Captain America storyline this was.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Madkal posted:

Curious what Captain America storyline this was.

The first issue, where he punched out Hitler. It was pre-America's entry to WWII, and some Nazi sympathizers really didn't like the whole "Hitler gets punched in the face by a guy in red, white, and blue".

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone
Didn't Jack Kirby also scare some gangster away from Will Eisner's office?

kender
Dec 15, 2000
Forum Veteran

goldenoreos posted:

Didn't Jack Kirby also scare some gangster away from Will Eisner's office?

Grant Morrison mentioned something about this in Supergods, about some people threatening to beat up some minority (Jews?) at the office and it's described as Kirby rolling up his sleeves and saying he'll take care of it. I couldn't find mention of the story anywhere else. I just picture him as Dan Turpin having enough of this poo poo and punching someone while muttering about muckety mucks.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hitman #52: otherdimensional entities known as the Many-Angled Ones are poised to destroy Gotham, and then the world. Standing in their way is Six-Pack, a delusional drunk who thinks he's a superhero.

Despite having no powers, and knowing he has no powers and knowing that everyone thinks he's a drunken joke, he still faces off against the demons.

drat right that's what superheroes do.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Hitman #52: otherdimensional entities known as the Many-Angled Ones are poised to destroy Gotham, and then the world. Standing in their way is Six-Pack, a delusional drunk who thinks he's a superhero.

Despite having no powers, and knowing he has no powers and knowing that everyone thinks he's a drunken joke, he still faces off against the demons.

The end of that story arc can easily go in the touching panels thread. Six Pack was a goddamn champ.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Without context, I find myself wondering whether the demons are taking this seriously, or they're being mocking.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

kender posted:

Grant Morrison mentioned something about this in Supergods, about some people threatening to beat up some minority (Jews?) at the office and it's described as Kirby rolling up his sleeves and saying he'll take care of it. I couldn't find mention of the story anywhere else. I just picture him as Dan Turpin having enough of this poo poo and punching someone while muttering about muckety mucks.

It would look like this
New Gods 8

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Bloodly posted:

Without context, I find myself wondering whether the demons are taking this seriously, or they're being mocking.

They're confident he's a chump and taking the piss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Cassa posted:

They're confident he's a chump and taking the piss.
Didn't quite work out how they thought it would, either.