Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'm still torn as to whether the last scene is his reward or his hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Literally The Worst posted:

I'm still torn as to whether the last scene is his reward or his hell.

I want to believe it's his reward for a job well done :unsmith:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I interpreted it as one brave step that deserves another.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.

Fantastic Four #604

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

smashpro1 posted:

Fantastic Four #604

Is this 'commanding dead things to rise' before or after the DC Black Lantern stuff?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

After, but it's nothing like Blackest Night and it' snot exactly a unique concept

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Opopanax posted:

After, but it's nothing like Blackest Night and it' snot exactly a unique concept

I figured, but the "RISE!" panels still look straight out of Blackest Night.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Visually it does look a lot like Blackest Night. I never noticed that before.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I didn't think Galactus was dead though. Just had the poo poo kicked out of him. Franklin made a whole universe to feed him in preparation for this.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Uthor posted:

I've seen this spread a ton, but never what leads up to it:
Nick Fury, chillin' in the desert smoking a cigar while a SHIELD missile descends upon him so he can test a new force shield (you'd think they'd use dummies for this). The shield is sabotaged, so Nick runs to a rocket powered sled as it speeds away, jumps on, and is dragged to safety.

(SNIP AWESOME NICK FURY PANELS)
Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. #1

Those Nick Fury panels are indeed awesome, but I have to wonder. Is it just me, or does anyone else imagine Fury should be smoking a Cigar, WHILE he's running for the Rocket Sled? Because it's the 60's and drat it you just smoke no matter what!

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Latest chapter of One Punch Man is out.
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Onepunch-Man/Onepunch-Man---043----Are-You-Stupid?id=189183

The one-eyed guy actually survived Saiatama's punch!

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
G.I. Joe v1 #13

Stalker schools his fellow Joes about crocodiles while schooling a crocodile.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Hitman #52: otherdimensional entities known as the Many-Angled Ones are poised to destroy Gotham, and then the world. Standing in their way is Six-Pack, a delusional drunk who thinks he's a superhero.

Despite having no powers, and knowing he has no powers and knowing that everyone thinks he's a drunken joke, he still faces off against the demons.

drat right that's what superheroes do.

This has always been one of my favorite scenes in comics.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

This has always been one of my favorite scenes in comics.

I've seen it suggested that "the flames will not touch you" means that the Many-Angled Ones are unable to harm Sixpack -- either because he's "pure of heart" and "a true hero", or because he actually has some sort of force field power.

This misses the entire point.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Fuckin' alligators. Punching sharks is where it's at. Not even punching them...MOIDERIZING them.
This is all old hat to someone like Black Dynamite, of course.

The dialog onomatopoeiae are pretty badass as well.
Black Dynamite - Slave Island, of course.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It'd probably be prohibitively expensive but they really should have put one of those greeting card sound chips in each issue keyed so that whenever you turned to or from a page where Black Dynamite does something awesome you hear the DYNAMITE DYNAMITE.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Len posted:

The end of that story arc can easily go in the touching panels thread. Six Pack was a goddamn champ.

I also always saw his fate as an indicator that Tommy's dream from the final storyline is a premonition about his afterlife and not just a dream. In that dream, Tommy's having a good time with all of his friends who had died throughout the series, but Six Pack is missing. As far as Tommy knows, Six Pack is dead, so if it was merely a dream, he should have been in the crowd.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

muscles like this? posted:

It'd probably be prohibitively expensive but they really should have put one of those greeting card sound chips in each issue keyed so that whenever you turned to or from a page where Black Dynamite does something awesome you hear the DYNAMITE DYNAMITE.

You'd get kicked out of libraries due to repeated noise violations.

I'd seen people fight sharks before, but never seen a shark get stabbed and have its throat slit by its dorsal fin.

blurb blurb blurb

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Parahexavoctal posted:

I've seen it suggested that "the flames will not touch you" means that the Many-Angled Ones are unable to harm Sixpack -- either because he's "pure of heart" and "a true hero", or because he actually has some sort of force field power.

This misses the entire point.

Nah, the idea that it's because he's a true hero is actually right in line with a running theme in Ennis's comics.

Jace Madan
Apr 10, 2007

A survivor... unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality.
I always thought Norman's speech/rant in Thunderbolts #120 was pretty baddass...

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
That was the arc where a bunch of telepaths made everyone crazy right? That was awesome.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I loving love that run.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Speaking of Thunderbolts, this is from Thunderbolts #22.

The Thunderbolts are in Hell and have made a pact with Mephisto. In a contract overseen by Red Leader, it's agreed that if they can topple the current ruler of Hell and give it back to Mephisto, he'll send them home and also pull down Mercy, a powerful and insane being they really need to get rid of. Turns out the latest ruler of Hell is Strong Guy, but a deal's a deal and Red Hulk gets him to step down. Between bringing in Mercy and Deadpool's antics, Hell suddenly becomes a chaotic mess and Mephisto is none too pleased.

Charles Soule's Thunderbolts: where even the weaselly brain is a badass.

Jace Madan
Apr 10, 2007

A survivor... unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality.
And in the excessive violence catergory, here is the return of Carnage in Superior Carnage Annual #1

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

There's nothing badass about a psychopathic killer alien effortlessly slaughtering everyone within tendril's reach while verbally stroking himself :psypop:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I kinda feel like the sentence "Carnage is free" kind of implies that slaughtering is going on, to the point where it's stupid to even bring it up.

Also it's nice to see that the 90s tradition of getting artists who clearly don't know anything about the characters to draw symbiotes is not wholly dead, because Carnage doesn't have a Venom tongue.

McSpanky posted:

There's nothing badass about a psychopathic killer marine effortlessly slaughtering everyone within gun's reach while verbally stroking himself :psypop:

:smug:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Jace Madan posted:

I always thought Norman's speech/rant in Thunderbolts #120 was pretty baddass...

Nevvy Z posted:

That was the arc where a bunch of telepaths made everyone crazy right? That was awesome.

Awesome and hilarious. I like the 'my family tree looks like two sticks jutting out of a dead raccoon', personally. They totally need to put that in a movie at some point. I guess the telepaths didn't have to work hard on Norman.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yvonmukluk posted:

Awesome and hilarious. I like the 'my family tree looks like two sticks jutting out of a dead raccoon', personally. They totally need to put that in a movie at some point. I guess the telepaths didn't have to work hard on Norman.

That's the beautiful part, they're not even particularly powerful telepaths, it's just that the entire team is, to varying degrees, barely hanging on to a semblance of sanity and humanity, so they basically just need a shove.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Infinity 4 aka dont gently caress with Thor (sorry for so many panels)

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Mar 5, 2014

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

From the Straczynski run:

bobkatt013 posted:

dont gently caress with Thor

squibble
Sep 30, 2003

Alhazred posted:

Thank you! I've been digging through old threads trying to find this for ages since the new T:GoT started up.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Gavok posted:

Charles Soule's Thunderbolts: where even the weaselly brain is a badass.

Wait, what was that clause Deadpool was in a rush to include anyway?

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

404GoonNotFound posted:

Wait, what was that clause Deadpool was in a rush to include anyway?

It's something Deadpool came up with, so I expect we'll find out at some future point.

:ohdear:

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
It was a portal to heaven so he could get a feather off an Angel for his hat. That happened in the last issue.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Senor Candle posted:

It was a portal to heaven so he could get a feather off an Angel for his hat. That happened in the last issue.

This caused a bunch of angels to invade Hell as they chased Deadpool, causing more headaches for Mephisto.

The best part is that when they return to Earth, they find Frank Castle broken and bloody due to a fight with Mercy, moments from death. The angel feather magically heals him and Deadpool's all, "Wait, why would an angel feather help Castle? What's he got to do with angels?"

"I don't want to talk about it."

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I started reading Thor: God of Thunder thanks to this thread and its predecessor.

Holy poo poo this comic is metal as gently caress.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Jace Madan posted:

And in the excessive violence catergory, here is the return of Carnage in Superior Carnage Annual #1

I'm still trying to figure out why somebody thought it was a good idea to have a blonde lady nurse with a cute little hat working in what appears to be a maximum-security prison with only male convicts.

That's like playing Russian roulette with a crossbow.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Infinity 4 aka dont gently caress with Thor (sorry for so many panels)

It's kinda weird that the weirdo alien stole Loki's "Is this not your natural state?" speech from the Avengers movie almost verbatim. I wonder if Hickman was trying to make some kind of point with that, or if he just straight up decided to rip off a memorable line from the movie.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
There's a terrible lack of The Sixth Gun in this thread.

The Six are primal weapons forged by the devil hisself, and the greatest of them is the Sixth. Wielded by an undead confederate general, it recently fell into the unlikely hands of a Preacher's daughter.

quote:

One strikes with the force of a cannon shell. One spreads a flesh-rotting disease. One spreads the fires of Perdition. One allows the wielder to heal from any wound. One can call up the spirits of the people it has gunned down.

The Sixth Gun grants the wielder the gift of prophecy.

Our hero, Becky, is exhausted, hunted and haunted, and has had enough of this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Alhazred posted:

Not to take away from this, but it is rather hypocritical of Thor to get mad at tony for doing this when he became the all-father, killed the avengers, took over earth, then had to send himself back in time to stop himself from doing that. And that wasn't an alternate universe either it was 616. Of course due to the nature of time travel, the future where Thor kills the avengers, takes over the planet etc. etc. is now only an alternate universe.

but gently caress it, Civil War and its fallout were dumb.