Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Vincent posted:

"I died before. It was boring, so I stood up"
It's such a comic book sentence and I love it.

It's an extremely Warren Ellis sentence, too. Minus a bit of profanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Madkal posted:

It's funny that my friends who don't read comics often love Civil War. I think when you take character no-one knows the history behind and turn them into broad characters devoid of backhistory you can appeal to a big market.

Kind of like Identity Crisis in that respect.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Metal Loaf posted:

Kind of like Identity Crisis in that respect.

Well yes, if we didn't know that the world's best detective wasn't really incompetent.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Lurdiak posted:

Well it was pretty flaccid at doing that when the end of the story is the horribly wrong side being vindicated despite their cartoonish evil actions. And not even in a depressing way where the public thinks the good guys won but evil prevailed, either, it's straight up Tony Stark being like "Yeah, I was the good guy all along! Just ask my friend, the Hate-Monger!".

The ending to Civil War did need work but it's not terrible and some of the proposed endings were worse.

(Like Mark Millar's sprawling 12 issue series that would have incorporated World War Hulk as a sort of side event that was going to be stopped by the Pro-Reg side to show how much more effective they were at stopping threats, and had a machine that took away super powers as the sort of Deus Ex Machina.) Or the ending where the Mom from Stamford was going to interupt the fight between Cap and Tony and just scold them for being children.

There were worse endings, but that doesn't mean "Cap is defeated by the Heroes of 9/11" is still a good ending. It's just a clumsy and ill-fitted metaphor attached to an otherwise okay ending. Had they just removed that, and have Cap give up when he looks at the crowd and realizes he has lost all public support and has become nothing more than a bully in their eyes. That the fighting needs to stop so rebuilding can be done, then that's a fine ending.

I mean what is the alternative? Cap and the Anti-Reg side beats up Tony Stark....so now the Government has to repeal the legislation. Because that's how things work, right?
Also the public is no longer allowed by afraid of Superhumans....because the Superhumans say so!

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Here's the pages from Civil War #7 of Sue Storm turning Taskmaster into a walking advertisement for Pizza Hut.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Good going taking a bullet for the person who makes force fields, Reed.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

"Think they'll start making "Cap Was Right" t-shirts?"
Not after AvX :allears:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Hakkesshu posted:

I actually think it reads pretty well as a stand-alone story. The ending still sucks, but it's a good concept, and there are a couple really awesome moments (like the part where Spider-Man turns on Tony). It's just when you consider the context of every other tie-in book, plus present and past comics history, there are so many inconsistensies and weird choices that it becomes harder to justify.

I remember really liking it also when I read it before I actually got into comics. Now I'm pretty lukewarm on it, though I don't think it's one of the worst events they've done.

Civil War is a good storyline and makes sense...except for the fact that for decades and decades the setting has ignored, except in very selective cases, the possibility of mankind actually wanting their rights protected from the legitimately concerning issue of super powered rampages has. You can't just suddenly inject that particular brand of realism and expect it to take, your setting or story has to have it inbuilt as a central conceit to work. The Marvel universe isn't that universe and can't be that universe.

But divorced from these issues Tony was totally right :colbert:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Civil War is a good storyline and makes sense...except for the fact that for decades and decades the setting has ignored, except in very selective cases, the possibility of mankind actually wanting their rights protected from the legitimately concerning issue of super powered rampages has. You can't just suddenly inject that particular brand of realism and expect it to take, your setting or story has to have it inbuilt as a central conceit to work. The Marvel universe isn't that universe and can't be that universe.

But divorced from these issues Tony was totally right :colbert:

It's not decades, thanks to the sliding timeline about the time of Civil War the Fantastic Four had only been around about 15ish years and the registration act came up in response not only to Stanford, but a particularly bad Hulk rampage in Vegas and a massive bombing in (I think) Philadelphia (one of the first arcs in Brubaker's Captain America run) all right in a row. It makes sense in universe to a certain degree

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Went looking for the Spider-Man vs. Iron Man fight and found some other Spidey bad assitude instead.

Civil War #7 again.
So, Spider-Man is just this jokey guy who bounces around, right?

Don't know the number of this one, but after Peter outs himself as SM, Kingpin sends an assassin who shoots Aunt May.
Peter then bitch slaps the hell out of Kingpin.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
Christ I had that issue, but I didn't realize he picked up the Kingpin by his loving skin.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
That little section between new avengers and one more day where Peter was treated as a guy who had seen, done and fought everything was a really nice stint of Peter getting the respect he deserves from the hero community, A.K.A. distancing himself from readers gotta fix it!

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

SirDan3k posted:

That little section between new avengers and one more day where Peter was treated as a guy who had seen, done and fought everything was a really nice stint of Peter getting the respect he deserves from the hero community, A.K.A. distancing himself from readers gotta fix it!

Some of my favorite Spider-Man stories came out of that era.

Now I have no loving idea what is going on with the character anymore.

Anyway, Spider-Man is badass:

(Don't remember the source)

(Punisher: War Zone #1)

(Avengers: The Initiative #3)

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

DarkCrawler posted:

Some of my favorite Spider-Man stories came out of that era.

Now I have no loving idea what is going on with the character anymore.

Anyway, Spider-Man is badass:

That last one was just him being a huge dick, especially considering what kinda person he was before getting powers.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Sue Storm has had some great badass moments in recent years.
Please post them if you have them.

Fantastic Four #602

FF #2

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

AnonSpore posted:

That last one was just him being a huge dick, especially considering what kinda person he was before getting powers.

...when did "Being a huge dick" stop being Spider-Man's thing in pretty much every fight?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
With those last two series of posts, have Spidey and Sue ever had a proper team up? I don't remember many scenes between the two of them in their FF issues.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Time to post Spider-Man getting some kick-rear end time? Time for some Secret Wars.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

prefect posted:

Time to post Spider-Man getting some kick-rear end time?

SWAT!

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

SirDan3k posted:

Exactly. It was that point in the long running sitcom where the loser protagonist gets the recognition they deserve before being regressed back to their original form. Also that Punisher/Spidey scene is probably my favorite portrayal of Spidey's fighting style and how terrifying he could be.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

DarkCrawler posted:

(Punisher: War Zone #1)

Frank, what are you doing.

(Punisher MAX #19)

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

Why was Spider Man going up against Snake from Metal Gear just then?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Thunderfinger posted:

Why was Spider Man going up against Snake from Metal Gear just then?

It was a really unfortunate phase Punisher recently got over.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Lurdiak posted:

It was a really unfortunate phase Punisher recently got over.

While the Punisher relaunch right now is perfectly fine, and Thunderbolts has improved since Soule took over, Rucka's Punisher was still really good and it's a crime that it ended for anything Way wanted to do.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

It looks like he's leaning against the van, so that's why he's holding it sideways once, and the other his him just pulling the gun away from the window. I don't think he was really able to take aim.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
It's Spider-Man anyway, shooting at him is somewhat of a Hail Mary no matter which way the sights are lined up.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

I had to read this twice to realize he wasn't fighting Ms. Marvel. :doh:

FWAH-BLAMM!

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

KittenofDoom posted:

Christ I had that issue, but I didn't realize he picked up the Kingpin by his loving skin.

Was it Grim Hunt where Peter got so loving pissed he started tearing off people's skin by adhesing to their faces?

I love when authors play the "poo poo got real" situations with Spider-Man, they are always way more frightening because of the emotional charge set into his stories and the blurry upper limit of his powers. Compare to the overused "red eyes Superman" image which has lost all impact since "For the Man Who Has Everything".

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Superman/Wonder Woman #4 had a crazy ending, so spoilers...
They've been having a big multi-issue fight with Zod and Faora, demonstrated the power of super-holding-hands

but got beat the gently caress up and thrown into a nuclear reactor, shielded from the sun.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Teenage Fansub posted:

Superman/Wonder Woman #4 had a crazy ending, so spoilers...
They've been having a big multi-issue fight with Zod and Faora, demonstrated the power of super-holding-hands

but got beat the gently caress up and thrown into a nuclear reactor, shielded from the sun.

So, uh, they're dead?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

muscles like this? posted:

So, uh, they're dead?

Yup.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

So, uh, they're dead?

He looks mostly intact, so I'm sure he'll come around after a little sunshine. Not so sure about her.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
It's morbid but funny how the titular characters are charred husks in the middle of a nuclear wasteland and at the bottom is DC COMICS PROUDLY PRESENTS.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

AnonSpore posted:

It's morbid but funny how the titular characters are charred husks in the middle of a nuclear wasteland and at the bottom is DC COMICS PROUDLY PRESENTS.

The New 52 summed up in one post.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

prefect posted:

He looks mostly intact, so I'm sure he'll come around after a little sunshine. Not so sure about her.

The cape probably protected her or something.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

So, uh, they're dead?

No, that's just how Kal looks anytime he's been pushed past his endurance. He always gets a little dessicated. When the sun shines down on him he'll be fine.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Drifter posted:

No, that's just how Kal looks anytime he's been pushed past his endurance. He always gets a little dessicated. When the sun shines down on him he'll be fine.

Yeah that's very clearly Dark Knight Returns call back where he's a husk from a nuclear explosion and she's safe and covered up in his cape.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

So, uh, they're dead?

Yeah, in the world of comic books, once dead always dead. :v:

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
So, uh, did they write Lois out or something? Because the whole 'Superman and Wonder Woman are an item' thing never worked for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

FredMSloniker posted:

So, uh, did they write Lois out or something? Because the whole 'Superman and Wonder Woman are an item' thing never worked for me.

When they restarted everything with New 52 Clark and Lois weren't together or even interested in each other.