Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I know that it is supposed to be some kind of speaker grill but it looks more like Megatron's got a mouth full of taffy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Fil5000 posted:

It's weird art, the early Marvel TF comics have plenty of fugly moments.

Yeah, for some reason the early TF artists decided Megatron had a grate behind his mouth and they were also slowly turning the toy designs into something more suitable for comics.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They weren't sure why a robot would have lips.

It's a good question.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, for some reason the early TF artists decided Megatron had a grate behind his mouth and they were also slowly turning the toy designs into something more suitable for comics.

Many of the UK artists decided all of them had random circuit boards at the back of their throats thst you'd see when they were yelling. There were many questionable decisions.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I mean why have moving mouths at all?

Makes u think

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I think the Cylon servant in the old Battlestar Galactica show had a mouth that would light up when he spoke instead of moving lips. And I vaguely remember the bad guy from the knock-off Ghostbusters cartoon, the one with the ape, being partly robotic and having some weird static poo poo in his mouth when he spoke. It was a Look to make them seem more otherworldly, I guess.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Fil5000 posted:

Many of the UK artists decided all of them had random circuit boards at the back of their throats thst you'd see when they were yelling. There were many questionable decisions.

And we can't forget all the early UK issues where they were VERY toy accurate.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

Chinston Wurchill posted:

He also had Beta Ray Bill hit a rainmaker and some suplexes. DWJ is probably my favourite comics person right now.

(Reddit link because I refuse to download the Imgur app on my phone).

Yeah I just read his BRB run and Do A Powerbomb! basically back to back. Starting Ghost Fleet now. Thanks Hoopla.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Grendels Dad posted:

I think the Cylon servant in the old Battlestar Galactica show had a mouth that would light up when he spoke instead of moving lips. And I vaguely remember the bad guy from the knock-off Ghostbusters cartoon, the one with the ape, being partly robotic and having some weird static poo poo in his mouth when he spoke. It was a Look to make them seem more otherworldly, I guess.

Actually, the cartoon is based on the 1970's live action show, The Ghost Busters. So technically, the movie Ghostbusters is the knock-off. Though the cartoon was clearly made to ride the coat tails of that successful knock-off.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Elissimpark posted:

Actually, the cartoon is based on the 1970's live action show, The Ghost Busters. So technically, the movie Ghostbusters is the knock-off. Though the cartoon was clearly made to ride the coat tails of that successful knock-off.

It's even better than that, it's largely out of spite. Filmation pitched to do the Ghostbusters cartoon and got snubbed so they went "gently caress you, we've still got the name rights" and made the cartoon and got it on air a week before The Real Ghostbusters.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's why the show based on the film is called the REAL Ghostbusters

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Fil5000 posted:

It's even better than that, it's largely out of spite. Filmation pitched to do the Ghostbusters cartoon and got snubbed so they went "gently caress you, we've still got the name rights" and made the cartoon and got it on air a week before The Real Ghostbusters.

From what I've heard it's a little different. They had to go to Filmation for the name rights and Filmation struck a deal but one of the guys in charge said they could have kicked themselves for not putting in 'and we do the cartoon' as part of the license so then they just did their own.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Grendels Dad posted:

Prime Evil.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

There's a bone phone salesman that's made at least two sales in the Ghost Busters universe.

Also very surprised Frank Welker isn't half the voices on that show. They did have Peter Cullen and Pat Farley though.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Elissimpark posted:

Also very surprised Frank Welker isn't half the voices on that show. They did have Peter Cullen and Pat Farley though.

Frank was half the voices on Real Ghostbusters (Ray, Slimer and tons of incidentals) so he may not have had the time.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Frank was half the voices on Real Ghostbusters (Ray, Slimer and tons of incidentals) so he may not have had the time.

You've pretty much got all the big names in 80's voice acting between the two shows.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

Started Death of the Venomverse last night. I like all the crazy symbiote designs.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Wait is knull still around

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

I'll be honest I don't even know who Knull is.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
looks like Not Spawn
e: that's not very fair, those are pretty neat designs, but still looks like Not Spawn

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Flesh Forge posted:

looks like Not Spawn
e: that's not very fair, those are pretty neat designs, but still looks like Not Spawn

Venom Rhino was my favorite but I can't take screenshots in the Hoopla android app and I'm at work right now.

And funny you should mention Not Spawn. I'm waiting on my print copy of this right now. He's trying his best. :mad:

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Gotta love the badass and funny panel threads, also the touching one. Sometimes it's tough to sum up excellent stuff with those three words, or maybe it's several at once. Just kinda posting things that rule. Here's one of the best comics pages ever, even better with the full story naturally, A Letter To Judge Dredd by John Wagner and Will Simpson.

Also I guess Wagner likes Wim Wenders movies, who doesn't.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jan 25, 2024

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

Heavy Metal posted:

Gotta love the badass and funny panel threads, also the touching one. Sometimes it's tough to sum up excellent stuff with those three words, or maybe it's several at once. Just kinda posting things that rule. Here's one of the best comics pages ever, even better with the full story naturally, A Letter To Judge Dredd by John Wagner and Will Simpson.

Also I guess Wagner likes Wim Wenders movies, who doesn't.

STAR WARS:
JEDI EWOKS EATEN ALIVE!
part 61

man, disney's really going places with that license huh

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Too good! This powerful moment demands a background Ewok gag, we can handle it.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
So John Allison's comics are usually slice-of-life affairs which may or may not have supernatural or paranormal elements. That and his art style means his work, while good, generally doesn't fall into the "badass" category. That said I think this panel from today's Steeple page qualifies.

From Steeple "issue" 20: Extreme Freaks, which sadly is, according to Allison, the last "issue" in the (web)comic.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Oh poo poo, steeple was continued online? I'll need to catch up. I loved it in floppy.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Air Skwirl posted:

Oh poo poo, steeple was continued online? I'll need to catch up. I loved it in floppy.

Yeah, in early 2020 Allison continued the Steeple series, occasionally stopping while he worked on other comics, such as Solver, which is basically the continuing adventures of Lottie from Bad Machinery / Wicked Things, on his Forward Slash Scare site. He eventually settled on a 22 page "issue" format, on a 3 page a week schedule, although if you subscribed to his Patreon you would get pdf releases of the comics starting with "issue" 10 Christmas with Clovis. Dark Horse published two more volumes of Steeple, which collected the webcomics, but according to Allison they passed on doing a fourth volume, which was part of his decision to wind up the Steeple series.

I've been posting the pages in the Comic Strips thread and Saoshyant has been posting them in their John Allison thread. Here is a link to the Steeple chapter page if you want to catch up. There is also a Gumroad exclusive issue with art by Max Sarin (also available to Allison's Patreon subscribers).

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Sha-Do: The Demon of Dark Matter

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
That's really good but I am reading the name like Shah Doo and smirking

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Been reading The Faraway Paladin recently, and it's real real good.
It's very much an old school mythological swords and sorcery piece with a ton of cool moments.

Below they've tasked themselves with killing a Dragon, a literal impossible foe close to godhood within the confines of the story, and after a long journey filled with a bunch of demon slaying they stand at the entrance of the Dwarven Kingdom it's inhabited for centuries; about to sneak in via the back entrance.

The Faraway Paladin - Chapter 49

Highly recommend the first 14 chapters alone, as they form a complete arc, and the rest of the series is just as good.

Later chapters very much feel like Record of Lodoss War x Lord of the Rings in the best ways possible.
And while the above might seem like a rip-off of a Tolkien story, it's much more of a homage than anything else.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Sidebar, what's your Lodoss War of choice? I loved the OVAs, haven't tried the anime TV series version which I heard wasn't as epic or other mediums etc.

And I'm intending to read more manga this year too.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Heavy Metal posted:

Sidebar, what's your Lodoss War of choice? I loved the OVAs, haven't tried the anime TV series version which I heard wasn't as epic or other mediums etc.

The TV series as I recall wasn't bad but it definitely suffers from turning a few episodes into a lot and the new characters are okay but they won't wow you.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Right on, always been curious about that one.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Both have good aspects. OVA is higher quality, but the TV series is closer to the original novels.

They're both worth watching for different reasons, bit my personal preference is the OVA.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Flesh Forge posted:

I've really been on my indie comix bullshit lately. Can't wait to pick up Soaked in Blood from the same artist.

https://jkpaperz.bigcartel.com/product/soaked-in-blood-1-deluxe-edition

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Both have fantastic openings.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Flesh Forge posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsxqS03xrdI&t=40s

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

UwUnabomber posted:

I've really been on my indie comix bullshit lately. Can't wait to pick up Soaked in Blood from the same artist.

https://jkpaperz.bigcartel.com/product/soaked-in-blood-1-deluxe-edition

Oh poo poo one of the contributing artists sent me a free copy of issue one because my order from him was late.

He also sent me a comic that includes three identical strips of a 9/11 hijacker hijacking a plane and flying it into a vagina/rectum/urethra while the apparent giant it's flying into screams "Yes, daddy!"

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Final Crisis #6 (2009)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA