Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
This is still one of the most badass moments in a comic full of badass moments.
Let there be Skurge! Thor 362
Sorry about so many but they are all needed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Speaking of van art
New Gods 6

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Zero_Tactility posted:

Both the narration and Kirby's art in this page are sublime :allears:
---

Context: Doctor Doom has kidnapped The Purple Man and created a device to harness his power of suggestion and project it across the entire world in order to make himself ruler of the planet.

Emperor Doom

If you get Kirby: King of Comics it has a bigger version of it. That is just one amazing part of that book.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

kender posted:

Grant Morrison mentioned something about this in Supergods, about some people threatening to beat up some minority (Jews?) at the office and it's described as Kirby rolling up his sleeves and saying he'll take care of it. I couldn't find mention of the story anywhere else. I just picture him as Dan Turpin having enough of this poo poo and punching someone while muttering about muckety mucks.

It would look like this
New Gods 8

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Infinity 4 aka dont gently caress with Thor (sorry for so many panels)

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Mar 5, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

prefect posted:

As opposed to the American version, where a squad of heavily-armed soldiers assaulted the house Luke Cage was in at midnight the day the registration act went into action.

Or when Cap refused to support it, and was attacked for professing his opinion.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

JMS liked to write Tony as Hitlerish as possible.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Monaghan posted:

I've loved iron man since I was a kid, but good god was civil war a depressing time to be a fan. Every writer just wanted to poo poo all over him.

The only writers that made him seem human were the Knaufs. I still think its one of the best Iron Man runs. :colbert:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Superman falling in love with some Godlike superhuman as opposed to "just" a "normal" human being is actually really depressing to me. :smith:

The fact that they got rid of the super marriage is a big reason I am not reading a bunch of DC. Well that and the quality.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

New Leaf posted:

Wasn't this the plot line of a 'Justice League' cartoon episode?

The cartoon adapted the comic. Its also the only adaption of his work that Original Writer likes.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

TwoPair posted:

#19 is where Land leaves art and the current arc gets going. Although honestly if you can stomach the Land art, I'd really say everything since #6 has been good. (1-5 are a boring as hell and ultimately inconsequential Extremis story)

That one was the obvious movie tiein right?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

TwoPair posted:

Pretty much. There's no terrorist or Mandarin, but a bunch of Extremist guys with ill-defined powers, so basically. Kinda like how Thor God of Thunder's had Malekith, but he was in no way like his movie counterpart.

Or when Iron Man 1 came out they had Stane's son as the villain.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

zoux posted:

Astonishing is also loosely connected to the mainline continuity.

That storyline is really connected. It had serious effects on continuity.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Fried Chicken posted:

So straight up ripoff of Ultimates 2 when Quicksilver did the same thing

Also what happened with Savitar

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 18, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

zoux posted:

I know these are supposed to be super special space deathsharks but I hate it when superheros are fighting animals. Adam Warlock here, one of the only credible threats to Thanos but here I am being seriously tasked by a fish. The worst is the loving Savage Land, I hate the goddamn Savage Land. Last week we whooped Magneto's rear end but this week on our post-serious arc vacation we are getting hosed up by some dinosaurs and cavemen.

You should read Starlin's Warlock. It is one of the craziest things I have ever read and its awesome on every level.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

The Question IRL posted:

Panther beat Doom, but to do it he blew up Wakanda's supply of Vibrinium. (I think Hickman then John's retconned this away by saying "they got more.") As a result, all the people of Wakanda turned on Panther and kicked him out of the country and took away his stuff. He was king no more.

It was more that he knew that a country should not have all its eggs in one basket so he invested, and they still had money.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Don't mess with Ultimate JJJ
Miles Morales: Ultimate Spider-Man

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Tracula posted:

Has there ever been a time that JJJ hasn't been a complete badass and the #1 best thing about Spider Man?

There was this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsDwonEXKDs

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

As the Watcher just sits there watching doing nothing about the assholes ruining his property value.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Majuju posted:

This is the line he keeps feeding his wife for why he won't replace the kitchen countertops with nice new granite ones :rolleyes:

Right now he is using the excuse he cant see the difference between the two.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

No one is more badass than John Adams.

Mr. Feeny :colbert:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

SiKboy posted:

I love the idea because it means that it is entirely possible that zemo is next door neighbours with Dracula (who doesnt have a moon laser, instead he has a cannon for shooting vampires at Britain from the moon). Man, the moon would have the most hosed up neighbourhood watch meetings.

The all complain about Uatu watching them and the rest of their families.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

It's ok no one here will judge you. In fact many of them probably know a lot more.

Krona's power levels have always been ill-defined but it's generally accepted that since he hosed with the Big Bang he's powerful as poo poo. He's the one who instigates the entire JLA/Avengers crossover by travelling to the Marvel Universe and striking up a deal with the Gamemaster to get knowledge of the Big Bang if the Avengers defeat the JLA in a race to collect the most magical macguffins from each universe like the Infinity Stones, Kyle Rayner's Power Battery, and so on (Gamemaster sets the rules, and decides they swap "champions" from each other's universes to ensure they don't try and play favorites or use their knowledge of the home team to cheat).

Batman and Captain America (with help from the Atom and the Thing) figure out the game and ensure the JLA win at the last second, but Krona basically mind-rapes the Gamemaster and learns that Galactus is the one in the Marvel U who knows about the Big Bang, then basically chumps Galactus using completely undefined powers when Galactus refuses to give up the goods. He then makes a giant floating fortress outside of Galactus' corpse and tries to force DC and Marvel Earths together, causing the universe to try and kill itself but also creating a timeline where the JLA and Avengers existed side by side and do fun poo poo like hold yearly BBQs and ensure we get a very "classic" lineup of both teams with characters like Hal Jordan for the finale. The JLA/Avengers figure out that they're meant to be two universes, team up, and storm the Galactus corpse wherein Krona basically mind-conscripts every foe both teams have ever had starting with disposable henchmen like the Moloids and Kobra and working up to AMAZO and Sutur and poo poo. The day gets saved, the two universes split, and it remains 100% canon baby.

Seriously people who smack-talk JLA/Avengers really don't know how good they have it. :c00lbert:

I reread Crisis on Infinite earths and he also created the monitor and anti - monitor.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Die Laughing posted:

Of course it would be Fraction to do it.

Bendis had Ellis in Powers in a really early episode.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

prefect posted:

That's right -- he was doing a ride-along with the cops, wasn't he?

Yep. Its a pretty great issue.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Bloodly posted:

I'm unsure. I recall it being in bad repair once or twice during those times he's been without funds(Which is rare in itself), but I forget exactly when.

...I wonder if Doom's armour is still considered equivalent/better than Iron Man's these days?

Of course it is. It is Doom :doom:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Madrox posted:

Edit: Found it - Thor #337. As a long-time comic nerd, Simonson's Thor run is a hole in my back-catalog I keep meaning to take care of.

You should get it

Thor 362

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Secret Warrior Dark Reign The List

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Professor Wayne posted:

I'm willing to bit Norman doesn't even have a list that doesn't end with "Kill Spider-Man."

I am now imagining his grocery list - milk eggs bread kill spider-man.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

prefect posted:

(You probably have to be older to get it, but Steve McQueen was the coolest guy in the world at one point. :corsair:)

Its not like he would ride a motorcycle after attempting to escape from Nazis!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Zero_Tactility posted:

Wally's voice actor also does a great job of mimicking the speech patterns Clancy Brown uses for Luthor.

He did have experience playing Lex!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

SirDan3k posted:

The Xavier School for the Gifted has an almost 99% employment rate for it's graduates, as teachers for the The Xavier School for the Gifted.

Remember when Kitty Pryde was a successful business woman who ran for the Senate? Then Whedon couldn't get an erection with out her on the team so she became another sad loser hanging out at a school she graduated from a decade ago?

You mean she was at the University of Chicago

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Grendels Dad posted:

I haven't followed MK lore in ages, but it's good to see that it is still basically a soap opera with added spine-removal.

If it had some arm ripping it would fit in perfectly to the DC universe.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Gavok posted:

Risk vs. Superboy Prime was supposed to be a lot longer, but Risk was drugged out of his mind on the day of the fight and in no way in shape to perform, so they took him out in one panel.

That explains Superman Primes angry dad face.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

KayTee posted:

It's worth pointing out that although she's joined Batman's 'Good Guys', and despite all the bonding she's done with his crew, the writers haven't gone all 'she's a good lass after all' with her. Harley is almost certainly the sole reason Flash is gonna jump right off the fence and go all 'gently caress you Bats' and shoot right over to Superhitler the first chance he gets.

The same Flash who later turns on them?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

CzarChasm posted:

Well, that's a sit-com in the making. Might as well throw in Johnny Storm, Iceman and Firestar just for that old 60's feel.

Needs an Annihilus

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

The Question IRL posted:

Like Green Lantern, Baz who carried a 9mm?

Also Bucky Cap

Captain America 34

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 11, 2015

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

e X posted:

There used to be a saying: "Only three characters will ever stay dead in comics, Uncle Ben, Bucky Barns and Jason Todd"

And I agree, Smith Arrow is actually pretty great. I guess because the somewhat goofy under current actually suits Green Arrow really well as a character.

Yep and taking a kids character and making him a victim of abuse.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

Bucky is the only important dead character to come back to life and that is because no one gives a gently caress about Captain America.

Also no body and Captain America is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Idran posted:

Wasn't Bucky's death a retcon in the first place?

Yep it was revealed in Avengers 4, and ignored all the issues with Cap and Bucky that had them fighting commies. However, they were able to make gold with it.