Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
I'm more offended* that a Smart Independent Heroine had to panic and regress to memories of a children's cartoon to come up with one of the oldest and simplest plans in the book for dealing with two dumb enemies riding motorcycles in a predictable pattern

* not actually offended at all but it's still silly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

prefect posted:

I also love Top 10 to death. I just wish there were a way I could have figured out she was singing the Ode to Joy before the second page.

Using Schiller's actual lyrics would have done it, but perhaps Moore is allergic to using anyone's lyrics but his own

Okay, apart from Threepenny Opera

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

CharlestheHammer posted:

So Top Ten is like the Shield?

A series about horribly corrupt cops who do what they please?

I hope they at least get their just desserts eventually.

Moore wanted to do a TV police drama that, while set in an absurdly hyperexaggerated superhero city, nonetheless hewed to real world rules and stayed true to human nature

so no, of course they don't

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

PJOmega posted:

What's your Reddit handle?

Honestly that part never sat well with me either, and I really don't think Moore intended it to be cool or badass either: on the following page Irma, who moments prior had been vaguely contemplating killing Atoman, was extremely skeeved out by what Joe had done. I always thought Moore was going to follow up on Joe's questionable behavior but nothing ever came of it.

It really was a fun series apart from that, though.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

"You'd better stay on the right side of the law" said Oblivious Q. Murderguns to Luke Cage

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

My first thought on seeing that panel was that it was a very Alan Moore-ish sort of pose and way of looking, not to mention the way the "mustache/beard" frames the mouth. Made a certain amount of sense that such an omniscient character might be portrayed as a projection of an author's darker impulses.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

I mean, if there's anyone whose inner monologue is just like "Catwoman sexy pose realistic artstyle big boobs trending on artstation" it would be Land.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

The Boys' TV adaptation has also been taking the smart angle of explicitly tying it to the current political and cultural moment. The supes are wetwork political operatives as well as being entertainment product, and the show goes out of its way to implicate public demand -- the audience itself, really -- in the way things go wrong, instead of just depicting them as victims.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Luthor really does embody the projection ("obviously he's just virtue signalling because he harbors darker motives just like the rest of us"), zero-sum thinking ("his very existence diminishes me"), and grievance culture ("he's getting in the way of my greatness") of the modern right wing.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

OnimaruXLR posted:

Norman has all these ambitions of greatness with the Goblin persona acting like an impulse-driven roadblock to his greater aspirations

Yep, as with Luthor's obsession with Superman, they blame Spider-Man/Superman for getting in the way of their ambitions, it's actually the obsession with them that's getting in their own way (or allowing them to divert attention away from their own shortcomings). Again, like the MAGA movement.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Yeah sorry, it's hard to read that sequence as anything other than a cynical, facile play to get circulated online. Something memeable rather than meaningful. It's hard to sustain tension and excitement over just a sequence of panels that are just repetitions of "but Superman is the strongest of all" rugpulls. He couldn't even have Superman not look angry when rescuing a little girl. Superman, at his best written, is so much more than this.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

TGG posted:

It sounds so hideous to say this but I almost want to say the right way to do that is just have Superman break his own hands to get out of it. It's not about him being the most powerful thing out there, it's about him being so loving HUMAN. He will do whatever it takes and that does not involve how strong he is. He is just this embodiment of pure human love and how alien the concept truly is when you are faced with it. Superman is the ideal of what we all should be and strength is not the main part of that.

Many writers also forget that he's supposed to be really actually quite smart, and good writers find ways to have him thinking a way out of problems that force alone can't solve.

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Like, it feels like you could convey what's important to superman if you instead had him take up a much smaller space in that hole by taking a knee and extending an open hand with a warm smile to the little girl.

Yeah, this would have been a lot better. But Tom King is ex-CIA, he probably thinks kids love it when you break down their door yelling in the middle of the night to take their parents away.

usenet celeb 1992 fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 9, 2023

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

An alien who's also an ultrapowerful, utterly irredeemable god that had turned all of Earth into a charnel house, defeated absolutely everyone else, and where the only weapon effective against it was in bullet form. He does acknowledge, prior to that page, this it's a "just this once" exception, and of all times, this would probably be it. He also pays a suitable price by being hit by the Omega Sanction and having to slowly claw his way back over multiple lifetimes.

Probably also appreciated the irony in being able to turn the weapon of the claimed architect of all misery back on him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

The trailers I've seen clearly indicate it will be there, but hopefully less skeevy. It at least has grounding in actual UFO lore, which includes a lot of horny poo poo and sublimated sexual anxieties, as these sorts of social phenomena tend to do. The manga author has done a lot of research and there are a lot of deep pulls from UFOlogy, but one can't get over the impression that he decided to lead with this particular angle for obvious audience-pandering reasons. It does get much better after that, but I can't fault anyone for tapping out.