Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

TwoPair posted:

Iron Man #25: When last we left Tony Stark, he was trying to capture the rings of the Mandarin, which were being stolen by the dark elf Malekith (villain of the previous arc of Thor God of Thunder and also villain of the new Thor movie) but his plan to just use a stealth suit and sneak into Svartalfheim backfired hard. So instead of saying "gently caress it" and getting out of there, he said "gently caress it" and called in his back up plan: A big-rear end armor that is composed entirely of iron (note those not big on mythology: elves are basically deadly allergic to iron)

Oh goodness it's like watching the Na'vi from Avatar getting their asses kicked. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Dolash posted:

That is kind of a badass speech though in a scenery-chewing cartoon villain kind of way, just not at all a sympathetic or commendable one.

I think it's a pretty awesome speech, but only in a meta-sense in that it's more of a response to absurdly Utopian "harmony with nature" societies that pop up in things like Avatar and Dungeons & Dragons.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

AnonSpore posted:

I thought the Na'vi were corny as poo poo, I just don't see how anyone can read the speech that was posted in this thread and not see how tremendously arrogant and close-minded it is, and actually read it as something unequivocally laudable instead of eyeroll-inducing.

Look man, all I'm trying to say is, gently caress elves. Why can't you tolerate my intolerance against elves?

Guess someone here has some growing up to do. :smug:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Say Nothing posted:

One Punch Man has a very sequential layout, making it easy to GIF.

My favorite part of these? The sound effects. They have mass, the "camera" rotates around them, they even cast shadows.

Murata is godly. :allears:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

mind the walrus posted:

Not just that but his requisite moe sidekick is literally a loving cyborg he built from a teratoma (one of those tumors people find with poo poo like teeth and hair in it).

Big deal, like Blackjack's the only person whoever got drunk and made a person :rolleyes:

Something to remember is that Tezuka was a trained surgeon himself, which somehow makes all of the blatantly impossible poo poo Blackjack pulls off feel even more awesome.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Chinaman7000 posted:

The Flash should be drawn like Eyeshield 21. Superman's punches should look like Saitama's. It's not for everyone but would totally be my poo poo. Japanese artists can be really great at making it really look like normal human shaped beings are super powerful.

I remember reading Eyeshield 21 and being so blown away by the art that I just HAD to watch the anime.

Big mistake, I tell anyone who is at all interested to skip the anime and just read the comic. I will forever be amazed at how Murata was able to convey motion and speed better than an entire team of animators.

seriously, it was loving terrible

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

WickedHate posted:

Starfire vs Rose Wilson:

This was a pretty cool scene in today's Red Hood and the Outlaws #39.

Jesus that art :catstare:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I'm not crazy about either of those references because they both seem to boil down to "MY character could totally kick this other character's rear end." Just kind of eye-rolling IMO.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Angrymog posted:

*Later on we learn that whilst she did hit cars, there wasn't anyone in them.

"Oh no, they hit the cargo robot!"

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Dolash posted:

How the gently caress are they detaching like that? How is he flicking his fingers so hard that the fingernail flies out hard enough to incapacitate someone? He might as well shoot them with eye-lasers at that point.

Unless it's some kind of crazy gadget they installed under his nails for some insane reason?

I don't think that any thought beyond "THIS IS HARDCORE BRO" was put into this.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Yeah, Batman specifically uses batarangs as a non-lethal alternative to guns, so making a gun that shoots lethal batarangs is just kinda... why?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Batman Beyond had a bad habit of killing off villains, or turning them into gross monsters rather than letting them become a recurring part of Terry's Rogues Gallery.

Like the Chimera guy, who made instant furry mutation drugs, and Terry beat him by jamming full of every needle of the stuff he could carry until the guy burst. :psyboom:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Choco1980 posted:

Close. Terry's a clone of Bruce, made by Waller. Everything leading up to him becoming Batman was orchestrated by her organization, including the murder of his "father", which is some Boys From Brazil level stuff

No, that's what Terry thinks happened before Waller explains herself. Terry's dad had his reproductive DNA overwritten with Bruce's... somehow, it's CADMUS tech so whatever. And they were going to kill Terry's parents but their assassin backed out at the last second and the whole operation shut itself down after that. Terry became Batman anyway because destiny or random chance or something.

Also there's the implication that Terry's parents split up because of Waller's fuckery, since even if there's no infidelity in the marriage having two kids who look nothing like their dad has got to be a strain.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

DarkCrawler posted:

Basically, Superman is Clark Kent, not Kal-El. I hate it when people in comics call him by his Kryptonian name and he accepts it. He got that name when he was a day old. It's like saying an adopted kid is defined by where he is born, not where he was raised in.

Likewise, this is why I hate stuff like Superman worshipping Kryptonian gods and studying Kryptonian martial arts. It's trying to make Superman more alien just so it can... I don't know, make him a unique special snowflake?

Also, didn't the Silver Age have a weird thing where Supes would refer to the Kents as his "foster parents" or something? I remember this weird undercurrent of, "Yeah they're nice and all but they're not his real parents" that pissed me off.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

:perfect:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

I think you're looking for the funny panels thread. I love how you can see Fantomex's smug look even through the mask :allears:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

SonicRulez posted:

The Spectre is literally the wrath of God, right? If he wanted to kill some hired goons or Joker or everyone within a 5 mile radius of him, what could Batman do to stop him?

Nothing, which is why Batman's plan is to convince him to not do that.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

There's another Savage Sword of Conan where he breaks into the base of some weird soothsayer and gets trapped in a death pit. The Soothsayer taunts him by saying he'll read him three fortunes from cards, two of possible fates and the third of his almost definite fate. The first two are stories of Conan doing some crazy cool poo poo but dying at the end. The Soothsayer gets to the third and laughs that he always knows what this one will be, the intruder dying in his pit. He flips it over, has a moment to look shocked and then Conan (who has of course used the time to escape) kills him.

Conan looks at the final card, shakes his head and laughs and walks away. The card falls to the ground to reveal an image of a King sitting on a throne :hellyeah:

At this point you're just trying to goad people into posting these panels for you.

Not that I mind, that sounds pretty rad. :allears:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Lurdiak posted:

There are so may comics published in the last decade+ where I have no idea what the gently caress's going on in the fight scenes.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Is it still canon that Steve Rogers writes and draws the Captain America comic book?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Say Nothing posted:

One Piece.

Train in your path?
Cut it in half.

It wouldn't be the manga experience without tiny translator's notes in every margin :allears:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I would argue it's more of a problem with context, and how posting random panels lacks it. Whenever DC or Marvel panels get posted, most people reading these threads probably have a working knowledge of most characters, how they move, their motivations and so on because it's the same characters in the same universe it's always been. If someone posted the Spider-Man vs Juggernaut fight here, most people would get it because we know their general abilities and that logically Spider-Man stands no chance, so by him rising to the occasion and actually taking Juggs on and winning we can all agree that it's pretty badass. It works for pretty much anyone in this thread because everyone has knowledge and context on Juggernaut and Spider-Man. By contrast, see how many times panels from something like Invincible or Saga gets posted in these threads, and it's immediately followed by someone asking for some context. No scene holds any impact if you don't know what it means, and most people here haven't read the 100+ chapters of Hero Academia that gives context to that scene.

ecavalli posted:

Yup. That transformation was as badass as a narrative bubble saying, "And then there was a dragon somehow."

Also this.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Found it.

muscles like this! posted:

Was reading the manga series The Vinland Saga and came across something I thought was pretty badass. The series is mainly set during the Viking conquest of England and follows several characters, one of them is Thorfinn son of Thors who used to be a real killer. He spends a good chunk of the series on a quest for revenge only to have it taken away from him as the object of his revenge is killed. In his anger he attacks King Canute of England, who in revenge sells Thorfinn into slavery (lots of revenge going on.) This scene takes place years later as King Canute (who is now king of Denmark too) attacks the farming village Thorfinn has been living in as a slave. In the intervening years Thorfinn has renounced violence and is now trying to broker a peace between Canute and the landowner.
(remember, read right to left I also skipped some pages for brevity's sake)

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

hup posted:

That was neat (loved the little detail of his cheeks flapping as he flew) but I can't get over "SFX: LEAN"

It's one of those weird things with manga, they have sound effects for loving EVERYTHING. Stretching has a sound effect, staring has a sound effect, silence has a goddamn sound effect.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

TenCentFang posted:

:black101:

I have no idea what this is but I assume it's a Daredevil.

Who is this purple man and why is he giving Kingpin orders?

oh wait :downs:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
It's an older joke sir, but it checks out.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Malachite_Dragon posted:

My point being that it seems a little hypocritical for her to be calling him 'spaceman' when she doesn't have much of a claim to being human either :v: just conveniently human-shaped.

I think her point is that they're both already outsiders meddling in problems that aren't theirs, and drawing border distinctions is kinda pointless in that context.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

smashpro1 posted:

And Butch Gulce.

Thor: God of Thunder #11

The fact that Thor has two hammers and is not smashing them together is a total missed opportunity imo.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
aw yeah that's the stuff

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
The aforementioned Takamura vs A Bear:

No, I don't remember why I uploaded this to my imgur account a year ago.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I may be wrong, but isn't Frank Cho the guy who draws a bunch of cheesecake art of superheroines in order to "trigger the sjws"?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Anyone else think he looks kinda like Randy Savage there?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Personally I feel like it would work better if Apocalypse didn't say anything in the last panel, but otherwise it's a neat page.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Infinitum posted:

Chainsaw Man - Chapter 68

I should probably read Chainsaw Man huh?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
In my mind, Superman learned how to box from* Muhammad Ali.

*got the poo poo kicked out of him by

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
One Piece is a beast of a comic no doubt, but when I had more free time I would find ways to reread the whole thing from start to current pretty often.

It's definitely not without its flaws (women getting more and more sameface/samebody, severe cast bloat, among other things), and those only became more apparent in recent years, but I think I'm pretty much in for the long run at this point.

Anyone who's interested can check it out on Viz's website, you can read the first three chapters totally free, and access to the archives is only 2$ a month.
https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/chapters/one-piece

And yeah, don't bother with the anime. It's how I got into the series in the first place but the padding became unbearable after a certain point and that was before the author started taking a week off every month. I can only imagine how bad it is now.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Yeah, bullets bounce off Luffy but blades can still cut him.

It makes sense in a child logic kind of way, which is perfect for One Piece.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
The newest One Punch Man, this is what happens when the world's most powerful psychic decides that she's done fuckin around.

Read right-to-left

Nilbop posted:

On a side-note, can we agree Chubby Kung-Fu Chopper is best Chopper?

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Adnor posted:

Was it the Yu Yu Hakusho author the one that was basically kidnapped inside a room by his editor until he finished a manuscript or something like that?

I remember hearing a story like that about Rob Liefeld actually.