Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

OldTennisCourt posted:

Are we talking 616 Punisher or MAX Punisher because no amount of money is worth loving with the latter.
Man, the first half of MAX Punisher is fantastic and one of the only comics before most of the recent stuff that's all about ironic self-reference where the badguys are like, "yeah don't gently caress with this guy".

The Slavers in particular, where one of the big bads tries to dissuade his insane father from the motherland from fighting the Punisher.

"Father, everyone who fights this man dies."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Davros1 posted:

The best outcome of The Slavers was several arcs later when Frank is marching a guy out to shoot him, and in his mind he's trying to convince himself that he did not go as far as he did in The Slavers. That the actions he committed were so horrific, even to him, that maybe they didn't actually happen.

And then in Up is Down . . . where we learn that Frank has nightmares about his family dying, and in these nightmares, after he kills the criminals, he turns his guns on all the innocents who do nothing but stand by and watch. And that these are reoccurring nightmares, and that maybe, just maybe, that's what Frank really wants to do. Kill everyone.

I've said it before, but I don't think anyone has ever written a comic character as perfectly as Garth did with Frank. Others I'll read, and think are amazing, but I'm always interested to see what someone else will do with then. With Garth's Frank, I don't think anyone has ever, or will ever, match that.
Until the latter half of MAX Punisher, he's pretty much the best and least corny shot at the character.

"A big angry dude wears a skull emblem on his chest and shoots people and calls himself 'The Punisher' because he's MAD his family died!!" is a really stupid sounding premise and he's honestly kind of a joke everywhere else he appears.

In Max he's murderer batman, entirely mortal but an engine of death because he gives even less fucks and hesitates less than even the most psychotic criminal. Also the whole implication from BORN that he's literally an avatar of death or something.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
edit: Eh, whatever.

I really enjoyed Punisher MAX until Barracuda or whatever. That guy was awful.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Aug 2, 2015

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Choco1980 posted:

That was a timey wimey bull that was immediately undone. However, there was a different JLU episode that was basically the finale to BB that they never got to make that not only tied into JLU's plot heavily, but BB's as well, and revealed...things about the show.
Just saying I utterly despise this particular reveal.

BB was really good IMO; kinda had a tendency to kill villains in horrible ways but also kinda nice not to have the same dude terrorizing Gotham for the 800th time in a row leading to that "Why don't they just execute the Joker?" kinda thinking.

...There are an awful lot of shots of Terry looking shocked as a bad guy dies hideously though, even when half the time he's the one who caused it.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I dunno, I liked most of Punisher Max. That was a good take on him up until it got really stupid towards the end.

The Punisher as a relentless avatar of death that's more like a force of nature you watch utterly annihilate everyone retarded enough to try him on, and you only root for him because the people he turns his sights on are even worse than he is.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Travis343 posted:

That falls flat for me, at least, because you've got to get truly, cartoonishly evil ideas about street level crime to think those people are worse than the Punisher so you can feel good about watching him murder people by the dozens. It's like Death Wish, it's a gross, Reagan-Era power fantasy that exists in the same world as Captain America and Spider-Man.
That's why it owns.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

TheFallenEvincar posted:

I had to straight up stop reading that eyeroll worthy childish bullshit from Ennis, particularly The Boys. It nearly ruined Preacher for me too but at least I got through that.
This is why I always chuckle when people go "ANIME", like the American comic industry is full of lovely misogynistic creepo rear end in a top hat writers. It really is a "URHHH THESE COMICS ARE ASIAAAAAAAN" sitch. Like say what you will but at least creepo douchebags like Frank Miller and Mark Millar and Garth Ennis aren't major figures of manga :lol: Naoki Urasawa is way more likable and well-adjusted and cool than like, weird old grumpy Alan Moore.
manga has its own version of this in the authors/artists intentionally or unconsciously expressing xenophobia/racism/sexism

like, I've seen American comics produce stupid poo poo like juvenile poo poo like Crossed but I don't think I've seen anyone produce a popular series as weird, creepy, racist, and nationalist as GATE.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Yeah, that is a good point, I guess it's just about avoiding the lovely poo poo in both comic scenes. Man do I hate that whole Marc Millar/Garth Ennis comic book vibe though. Whatever you'd call the poo poo they do.
I'm not a huge American comic guy so I'm not familiar with most of Ennis' work outside of Punisher Max and a few other things but the impression I got is that Ennis really loving hates the poo poo out of superheroes, or rather the typical ideal of a superhero.

edit: The irony of this is that currently in Japan one of the newest, most popular mangas for the tween/teen set is a superhero manga created explicitly to pay homage to American Cape comics, complete with a mentor figure who is literally drawn like a silver age American comic hero in comparison to the standard "anime" style of everyone else.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Nov 9, 2015

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
My Hero Academia

Don't get it twisted; it's still very anime/shounen (complete with a tournament arc) but there's a lot of winks and nods and outright references to American Comics (including a "Kal-El" Hero Office).

Basically, think X-men, but 100+ years after the X Gene manifested in 80%+ of the population rather than 1%. Far less bleak. Typical school setup- think Xavier institute but with heroism being a legit job you can work towards.

Again- it's still very anime but it's a blast so far and has fantastic character designs and mutant powers. One of the later villains is basically a McFarlane badguy.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Nov 10, 2015

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Also if I'm gonna knock out a half a page on a derail may as well post a page/panel if mangaposting this one time is alright.

The set up is that the MC (dude with the busted hand) has inherited the strength of his world's "Superman". The problem is that using anything but small amounts of it destroys his body- he can destroy walls with the air pressure from flicking a single finger if he doesn't mind shattering it; he's fighting a dude who's half Human Torch, Half Iceman here in a tournament (because its manga and there must always be a tournament) and he's been using his fingers up one by one destroying his ice.

Now he's out, and he can't move his fingers anymore.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Flesh Forge posted:

I don't understand what's being shown, did he bite a hole in his hand and then flick blood at the guy with super force?

He straightened his busted thumb with his mouth so he could flick it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Captain Bravo posted:

The set up is that the MC (dude with the two hands) has inherited the hunger of his world's "Chicken". The problem is that his friends ate chicken without him.

All you need to know is his power is pretty destructive.

And one of the most badass characters in the series is a butt.