Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

muscles like this? posted:

Or how the government called the guys who were supposed to enforce registration "Cape-killer Squads."

Which never made sense to me diegetically. Since with the exception of Thor, none of the major super heroes in the Marvel Universe wear capes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

JediTalentAgent posted:

Villains wear lots of capes, though. And if you don't support the Registration, well, how are you different from Doctor Doom?

edit: Trick Question. There are none like Doom.

Yeah, but the Registration Act was to specifically target vigilante heroes, since the villains are already covered under existing statutes banning murder and theft.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Say Nothing posted:

I think Civil Wars was just an excuse by the writers to have heroes fighting each other, like a kid banging his action figures together.
We did get to see Susan Storm curb-stomp Taskmaster, though.

It's really satisfying Sue Storm curb stomps someone. Anyone have images?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

Civil War is a good storyline and makes sense...except for the fact that for decades and decades the setting has ignored, except in very selective cases, the possibility of mankind actually wanting their rights protected from the legitimately concerning issue of super powered rampages has. You can't just suddenly inject that particular brand of realism and expect it to take, your setting or story has to have it inbuilt as a central conceit to work. The Marvel universe isn't that universe and can't be that universe.

But divorced from these issues Tony was totally right :colbert:

It's not decades, thanks to the sliding timeline about the time of Civil War the Fantastic Four had only been around about 15ish years and the registration act came up in response not only to Stanford, but a particularly bad Hulk rampage in Vegas and a massive bombing in (I think) Philadelphia (one of the first arcs in Brubaker's Captain America run) all right in a row. It makes sense in universe to a certain degree

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Seldom Posts posted:

I keep buying Hickman's Avengers even though I am nonplussed by most issues, because it feels like it's building to something great. Every time, I think I am going to quit it, I buy one more and there's enough hints that I think it might be worth it buy one more.

Are you up to Infinity? Because while it does lead into more plot lines, it's a hell of a climax on it's own (you also need to read Hickman's New Avengers).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

When did Kitty turn from "mutant with no particular value" to "punching Galactus in the face"?

It's Ultimate Kitty, she lead a rebellion against the US government, then helped that same government re-unite the country after a disastrous civil war that divided it into 5 or 6 different autonomous entities.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The best thing about Battle of the Atom was future Mustache Colossus, with second place going to Gandalf Iceman, but I don't think even those things combined made up for dragging an at most 3 issue story out to ten issues over 3 books.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Metal Loaf posted:

Jango Fett: Open Seasons #4

There's another scene from this issue which I'll see if I can upload.

That's not badass, that just really dumb hamfisted writing. "My make believe bullshit is better than your make believe bullshit"

This however

TwoPair posted:

Surprised this hasn't been posted yet. Iron Fist: The Living Weapon #1. Danny Rand has just leapt outside his window for reasons unknown.

is god damned amazing. I love the current Marvel trend of getting amazing artists on b-list character's books (writer too in this case).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The Biggest Jerk posted:

Seriously. Chances are they are going to do something to save everyone and the Illuminati are just going to feel ashamed of themselves.

They aren't ever going to be used again, so they will probably all die, maybe to save both worlds.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Fuego Fish posted:

Unsurprising, considering nobody cared who he was until he put on the mask.

What are you taking about? Tom Hardy has had a ton of buzz since Bronson. I liked it when he and Joseph Gordon Levitt kept flirting in Inception.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Kramjacks posted:

"No one cared who I was until I put on the mask." -Bane

Oh, oops.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Tremendous Taste posted:

As someone who isn't reading that illuminati series, is it as grim and gritty as the panels would make it seem?

Yes, but in a good way.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Dr. Strange is still a huge rear end in a top hat, someone post the panel from Defenders where he scares Red She-Hulk.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

On the flipside, he's a bit more understanding of people like Deadpool and whatnot than some of the heroes who are considered more noble.

Oh don't get me wrong, I love Dr. Strange but selling his soul to gain enough power to annihilate a bunch of people who's only crime is trying to save their own world is completely in character. His first run featured a series of issues where something is going to destroy the earth and to stop it he unleashes something even more horrible that either kills or scares away the original threat, and then this new monster tries to destroy the world. It's like a grandiose version of the old woman who swallowed a fly.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Heresiarch posted:

And in "The Oath" he has to choose between saving Wong's life and giving the world the universal cure for all illness, and he chooses to save Wong. Which is completely in-character, really.

That series also has the "but in others, Wong is my master" scene which I'd post because it's thread-appropriate but I don't have it handy.

Oh god The Oath is great, there's a saying that every comic writer has a Dr. Strange pitch, but they don't get made because Dr. Strange doesn't sell. They should make more OGNs of the best of those pitches because you can keep those on print longer to make back the cost of the writer and artist and then I get more Dr. Strange.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

goatface posted:

Strange in the early comics seemed to spend a lot of time bumbling through and invoking elder gods without knowing who or what they really were. The Ancient One was apparently a terrible teacher. And judge of character, what with the whole Baron Mordo thing.

Thinking about it, the major practitioners of Magic in Marvel all seem somewhat dickish. Strange, Mordo, Doom, Druid...

Marvel heroes who have a ton of knowledge tend to be huge dicks, look at the science masters, Reed Richards, Tony Stark, Henry Pym, Dr. Doom again.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

RandallODim posted:

Yeah, as someone who likes Doom the not-complete-monster, I'm still much more inclined to take that as Doom managed to bullshit the god of seeing through lies than I am as Doom legitimately having altruistic motives.

I don't know,everything seemed pretty hunky dorry in Emperor Doom.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Kramjacks posted:

At first I thought the Hulk-Hands were an art error, but since they shrink back down again I guess it's a mutant power?

Technically it's an inhuman power, she's a shape-shifter with odd limitations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Burginator posted:

Given that this thread is basically the poo poo I look for in comics, and I absolutely loved the Thor, God of Thunder series -- Could anybody provide me with some suggestions? I've been thinking about picking up Marvel Unlimited and just going on a nonstop spree for a month reading a shitload of comics. I tend to really like x-men and avengers stuff, and I've read very few comics overall. I really liked the look of the Hickman Avengers stuff that was posted a few pages back.

Walt Simonson's run on Thor is pretty bad rear end, in fact part of it is on the very first page of this thread.

Hickman's Fantastic Four and FF are pretty awesome too.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

prefect posted:

Is that Monica Rambeau Carol's talking to? She oughtta be down there helping out; she kicks too much rear end to stay up on a boat. :colbert:

Her powers don't work under water (is the explanation in the book).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

It's one of those comic book things, where it goes so far beyond what you'd expect that you accept it. It's a semi evil Night Crawler too, right? If I remember correctly, he's from AoA and only helps out Uncanny X-Force to get revenge, and abandons them as soon as it serves his purpose So it falls under the category of bad guys being able to do more extreme poo poo with their powers than the heroes. It's a brutal version of Superman flying backwards around the globe to turn back time.

If it'd been the aforementioned teleporting grenades inside Blob's guts, it wouldn't work as well.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

It's pretty much the same thing as that time Joker got hit with fear gas and it didn't work on him because he's NOT AFRAID OF ANYTHING!!!

I really have no problem with The Joker being immune to mind affecting drugs, since even the most mundane depictions of him operate on the assumption his brain is pretty loving broken.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

They might have been lying, but they claim they only received 1 negative letter at the start of the page. And what they printed of that letter didn't seem too negative, just a self-congratulatory "I'm not as racists as my friends" thing.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Nilbop posted:

So Prince of Orphans isn't still randomly a country-running murderous tyrant or is that still in play?

The ending of Defenders undid everything that happened in Defenders, except for Dr. Strange banging that co-ed.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Captain Bravo posted:

drat it, that panel just begs the question, "Have they ever tried using the Moon Laser to rob a bank?"

:v:

How do you think he paid off the invoice on the Moon Laser?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

To be fair to the Vulture, the loving Enforcers were once a credible threat to Spider-Man. Keep in mind, they were originally just a short dude who knew judo, an unusually strong guy, and a dude with a lasso.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

While there are a huge number of racist moments in comics, we should remember the time Superman defeated the KKK in real life.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Say Nothing posted:

Yeah, The Avengers were pretty much chumped out quite recently to Not-The Justice League in New Avengers Vol 3 #20, that is until Strange went all Lovecraft and had Cthulhu eat them.

I was surprised by Not-Dr Fate's alter-ego apparently being Harry Potter, though.

I thought it was Tim what's his face from books of magic, but since there's been law suits over the difference it's academic.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Uthor posted:

Ares, Dr. Strange, Scarlet Witch. That's just Avengers.

Superman would chump the gently caress out of Ares. Superman is vulnerable to magic in the sense that a spell that turns a human into a pig would likely turn Superman into a pig. Someone who's magically strong isn't necessarily stronger than Superman.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

tenniseveryone posted:

It's a separate thing, but the first issue does end with Betty and Veronica accidentally raising a succubus...

Stop trying to get me to read Archie comics.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Waterhaul posted:

Sabrina is Rosemary's Baby mixed with some sprinklings of Bava/early Argento style horror. It's good stuff.

What did I just say?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

a kitten posted:

Those Batgirl pages are the coolest. Is that something I can pick up and read without knowing or caring about a billion years worth of convoluted origins and retcons? I doubt it's possible for me to care less about Batman and Batman related properties generally, but that little sequence really caught my eye.

I haven't read it myself, but it's a new creative team taking over the book in a specific attempt to take it in a new direction. They started with issue 35 and that's from issue 36, so you might want to pick up 35 as well, but you should be fine beyond that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Vincent posted:

I read issue 35 and didn't understand a drat thing, there were a lot of characters that were just there and now barbara has that bullshit cbs procedural eidetic memory thing which looks so dumb. The art was fun and the explanation for the new costume was rad, I'll give it that.

I did have a bad day when I read it do maybe its more on me, but it's not as new-reader friendly as some people might say.

She's always had eidetic memory, or at least she did when she was Oracle I thought.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Small Frozen Thing posted:

drat kids get off my Batgirl :arghfist::corsair:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sJRkj9DP9Y

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

We're not doing that anymore.

Honestly, considering it's a bit of a shift for Barbara too, you could pretty easily sub in Steph and her mother for Babs and Jim, and I'm not sure much would be lost, and they could've kept Oracle, thus getting two marketable characters for the price of one

I wonder how open they're going to be to revisiting some of these ditched legacy things if the tie-ins to Convergence do well.

It's Babs because Geoff Johns hates Stephanie Brown with a passion. 4 loving Robins in the New 52 (guess which one's missing) and only one Batgirl.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Nevvy Z posted:

Hickman is really great at this. Wow. I wonder if he set that up in anticipation of not getting to use full power thor.

I don't know about this particular instance, but he's also really great at rolling with whatever he needs to. Peter Parker Spider-Man is specifically recruited in Avengers #1, but quickly it becomes Spock and he writes a great Spock for a couple issues and then quietly shuffles him off to the sidelines.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Hollismason posted:

He's a space wizard, seriously there's a whole like story line of him having just a bandage around his eyes when he lands on that tropical island. How does that work? Who the gently caress knows.

Also, it's been stated that he actually does have mental control over the blasts but that it's just really taxing on him or some such crazy poo poo.

I know at one point the reason he needed the visor was because of a childhood head injury.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Cassa posted:

How did The Thing never try that?

I can't remember the issue, but the original Lee/Kirby run on F4 had an issue where The Thing beats the ever loving poo poo out of Doom and crushes his hands. He did try it and it worked.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Also, isn't the Executioner just a regular dude from the 9 realms, not an actual god?

I'm pretty sure he's Asgardian, and thus a hell of a lot tougher than your average Midgardian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Parahexavoctal posted:

You might think it's difficult to show the Spectre as badass because he/it is just so powerful that nothing could really challenge him. The trick is to provide opponents against whom sheer overwhelming force won't help. Opponents like the US legal system.

The Spectre, volume 3, #52 (1997). The Spectre goes to a prison and walks along Death Row, killing all the prisoners -- and the guards too, because they were dirty. And he leaves one man alive, because he knows that this one man happens to be innocent.

"Are you gonna tell them that I'm innocent?"

"No. That's a legal issue. It's not my business."

"But they're gonna execute me! You have to save me!

"No, I really don't. I only have to take vengeance. Goodbye."

and the Spectre fades away... but he's bothered by this, especially since Corrigan was a cop and doesn't like the idea of the wrong person being prosecuted because then the guilty will escape punishment. So he gets an idea.

The next night, the surviving prisoner is being strapped to a gurney, and insisting that they have to know he's innocent because why else would the Spectre have spared him. And the warden says, well, who knows why the Spectre does anything, really, just lie back and it'll all be over soon...

and then the Spectre materializes.

the warden is stunned, but recovers quickly: Spectre, you can't interfere with this! This is entirely legal!

and the Spectre says: You misunderstand. I am not here to stop the execution. It is a mortal legal issue, and is none of my business.

HOWEVER.

I have told you that this man is innocent. If you execute him, then THAT will be murder. And I will avenge that murder... on everyone who was involved.

Warden gulps. "You can't blame us for this! We're just carrying out the wishes of the people of the State of New York!"

Spectre gazes down at him.

"Then, in accordance with your logic... it is the people of the State of New York who shall feel my wrath."

Warden says "... call the governor, we've suddenly got a reason to commute the death sentence."

I really want to see these pages.