Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Opopanax posted:

Well there're two words I didn't expect to see today

And yet they sound so perfect together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

FredMSloniker posted:

Except that, unlike Buffy, the Flash didn't spend an entire season angsting about it. :v:

I'm not sure that's a point in JLU's favor.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I'm guessing Flash is doing some sort of wind resistance kinda thing, or he's transport for the pieces as mentioned above.

I'm just getting kinda tired of Batman outdoing everyone and judo flipping Jesus cause he's the best thing ever and no one can ever smoke him cause he's BATMAN and that's just how the universe rolls.

The giant bat symbol is hilarious and reminds me of the bat explosive gel from Arkham.

Meh, in this context it's pretty clear he's only capable of doing this because of the combined help of the Justice League.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Uthor posted:

Well, I didn't say I was enjoying reading it! And I don't know much of the F4 outside of Millar, Hickman, and Fraction's runs.

You should read Mark Waid's F4.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Uthor posted:

They could invite Magneto and his Asteroid M.

What ever happened to the orbiting base he built in Hickman's run? It was parked next to the space ship Johnny stole from Annihilus.

It's been awhile since I read it, but I thought everything they had in space got blowed up real good when they were trying to stop the celestials from destroying earth.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

This is an awful lot of legal analysis for a story where a criminal defense attorney argues a civil case.

Matt's participated in many civil cases too. He was the FF's lawyer in the early years every time their landlord tried to kick them out of the building.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

TwoPair posted:

The reason people like Batman vs. Superman fights is because, even though we know Lex Luthor is a villain, deep down we are all more like Lex than we are like Superman and we just want to see the alien get beaten by our obvious human superiority. U.S.A.! U.S.A! HUMANS! HUMANS!

Anyway, here's another fight from the same issue of Injustice.

I suddenly want to know what B.O.O.M. stands for

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

Wisdom of Solomon definitely wasn't there when he (game plot spoiler) questioned Superman's methods. Also I like how the sound effect is THOOM.

I'm suddenly sad that the on panel folly was THOOM, while Harley said Boom.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

fatherboxx posted:

I love that a cop knows precisely how much he should beat up a guy "just enough to keep him out of the hospital", and you say that Miller was never subtle

:drat:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Jiro posted:

And goddamn Spider Britain was off God knows where doing God knows what with all those other damnable Spiders! :argh:

Nah he was there too, it didn't go well for him.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Cabbit posted:

Oh come on, it's not like he's Garth Ennis. Ellis is a snide shithead wherever capes are concerned. But sometimes that works! Like Thunderbolts, and other stuff I can't remember but probably exists.

Ultimate Fantastic Four was great. N.E.X.T.Wave is top tier Ellis.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gorilla Salad posted:

When he's in the Defenders, he can borrow a pair from Namor.

And I just realised that, of all the originals (Strange, Namor and Hulk), he's the only one who wears a full set of clothes.

Silver Surfer was another early member with no clothes.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Parahexavoctal posted:

Cloud wasn't technically female. Cloud was a homunculus remotely operated by a sapient stellar nebula. The homunculus looked female, but Cloud was able to replace it with a male homunculus if it wanted.

Yeah, totally a different thing.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Yes, the arc I'm talking about started in #35, though a lot of good things have been said about the run from #17-#34 also.

Lemire's run (starts at 17) is great, and I say this as someone whose only prior experience with the character is TV show. It's a little different from the show, but it also introduces Diggle into the comic.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Redeye Flight posted:

I'm referring to the first trade collection especially, up to the end of the initial villain.

He's very much a mixed bag. He writes Etrigan like a 3rd grader's first poem. But I liked both trades decently enough, and I'm not sure if Oliver Queen would have come back from the dead if Kevin Smith hadn't wanted to write it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I'm not positive, but I don't think I've ever read a comic with Vision in it. I did see his episodes of the not lovely Avengers cartoon that got canceled so they could have a lovely one instead.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Johnny Aztec posted:

Oh goddamnit. I keep skipping over Sandman panels because I'm still working my way through the tradebacks, and you lay that on me!

It's not your fault. I don't expect you to spoiler a several year old comic. It's just ffffffffff , you know?

That is no where near the most shocking thing in the last half of Sandman, so don't fret too much. Also the most recent panels posted are from literally the first issue.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm reading about Top 10 and having trouble seeing the appeal. The Justice League analogues are pedophiles- how witty! It sounds like an extended in-joke with Moore's typical love of the grim and quirkily mentally dysfunctional taken to excess.

"Have you ever heard of Asimov's laws of robotics?"
"No"
"Good"
is a pretty great exchange.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Marvel vs. DC was the most nineties comic thing possible. Ben Reilly Spider-Man fights clone Superboy from the Death of Superman while Tim Drake Robin makes out with Jubilee.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

It was honestly impressive how Marvel and DC's first major crossover event-event and not a one-shot was filled with some of the least iconic.versions of.their.characters.

The thing is, in my quote, I actually like all of the characters I mentioned, well not Superboy so much, I can take or leave him.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Anyone got the panel from Ares' Dark Reign mini where he explains the difference between him and Athena?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

She's a deviantart character come to life.

Well, you are too. So glass houses and all that poo poo.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Josef bugman posted:

No as in where can I read a synopsis, I wouldn't get it for a little while in the UK anyway.

I thought the UK got big 2 comics like only a day later then the US.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Nilbop posted:

Man never mind Galacta, when are they bringing Ares back?

Have they got some kind of black-list of characters Bendis took into New Avengers, like Ares and Sentry and ... well Ronin was just like, Clint in a new suit, right? But still I want Ares back, man.

Ronin was originally Echo, I believe. I think all those characters were killed by Bendis himself though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

TwoPair posted:

Ronin came back! Then Blade took off the mask and went back to just being Blade.

I meant Bendis killed Echo, in addition to the other two mentioned. But Blade should have stuck around as the "Stupendous Spider-Person" or whatever that cheap knock off Spider-Man costume was called.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Say Nothing posted:

Storm is basically female Thor, minus the hammer.
And of course, that story line has been done.

Wahboom Bada Boom!

Has there been a decent Storm/Thor team-up? Like a 4 issue mini or something?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I love how that shatters his confidence so much that he doesn't notice he's now surrounded by a ton of metal and his powers still work.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

EndOfTheWorld posted:

Room for one more on the Badass Nintendo Woman pile?

Is that from the Super Mario serial they'd have in Nintendo Power? that and the Zelda one have always been something I want to read again.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

I don't like where that went :smith:

Namor and Black Panther have a (pause for effect) complicated history. Each is technically, but not necessarily morally because loving comics, responsible for 9/11 level attacks on each other's countries multiple times.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

Also badass:

Stabbed with a sacred knife then kicked off a platform several kilometers in the sky and then trapped on a planet about to be blown up with an antimatter bomb.

And he still gets away.

That's pretty god damned true. Him and Reed are the people I'm most curious about what happens to them by the end of Secret Wars, since almost everyone else I give a drat about already has an announced solo title or is part of a team book. (I'm also curious about Loki).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

Ah, the neophyte. You still think the Civil War comic is worth half a poo poo.

While I respect the imagery, what the hell benefit would Superman get from holding Captain America's Shield? Batman I'd get, Flash maybe because his powers are basically weird physics and so are the shield's, but the only reason for Superman to use the shield is if it can do something he can't, so what does the shield bring to his table?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Mr. Maltose posted:

Captain America's Shield, like all true patriots, gives no fucks about magic.

That actually makes sense, thank you.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Malachite_Dragon posted:

That was one of the animated movies, I believe. Can't remember the name of it off the top of my head, but I distinctly remember that scene at the end of it.

Justice League: Doom, which was (very) loosely based on Tower of Babel.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

Trick question. Neither because it's terrible from nearly every angle including ironic enjoyment.

I don't think it's badass, but Ultimate Wolverine referring to Not Superman as "one of those people" is kinda funny at least.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Anybody got those panels where John Constantine talks a serial killer into killing himself. It's from Azzarello's run, not certain on the issue but the trade is called Frozen Over.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

WickedHate posted:

I don't get when people don't enjoy the suffering of bad people more.

Because while Schadenfreude can be fun sometimes, reveling in it too much is incredibly unhealthy.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

WickedHate posted:

Hah! The true answer to "why is evil a thing?" is no doubt much more complicated, but as far as I'm concerned the immoral might as well exist for the sole purpose of making good people look awesome when they gently caress them over. Obviously not having to put up with them at all would be ideal, but as long as it's necessary might as well look at the bright side. They're like zombies! Sure, it really sucks having them around, but at least some fun can be had.

Not systematically but that's totally unfair(even from himself) and ignores that (A) those specific people will never hurt anyone ever again and (B) justice.

Jesus Christ you're a disgusting human being. Murder isn't justice.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

a kitten posted:

Did the Ultimate one ever get finished? It went on some huge hiatus and during that time I completely forgot about it.

Yeah, several years later. It's pretty good.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Barracuda was loving awesome, you just have to realize that arc was actually about corporate malfeasance, not Barracuda. I didn't like the second time he showeed up in Punisher MAX though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Having a disorder isn't an excuse to be a dick.

Stop being prejudiced against people in favor of torture and extra judicial murder for revenge. I don't need someone telling me I can't shove bamboo spikes under someone's toenails because they did something bad.