Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

What the hell are ripples and stands?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Choco1980 posted:

tl;dr answer: Ripples are new agey chakra/energy whosiwhatsits that make the punchmans fight better. Stands are imaginary friends that give the punchmans superpowers.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Goa Tse-tung posted:

alright what if, and hear me out, in the name of verisimilitude, Superman has to be naked from now on

eh? eh?

No! Now stop suggesting that for every problem!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Has he actually tried to pick Mjolner up in the last few years?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Very much the opposite.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Busiek wrote a bunch and I haven't gotten to them yet, but Busiek is always good.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Choco1980 posted:

So uh, we're all just going to ignore the third rogue in those pages then? Okay.

Just looks like a normal rouge in a business suit to me.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Goddamn I love that sequence.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

How did we go from Infinity and incursions and Secret Wars to...Civil War II? Ugh.

Bendis

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Ygolonac posted:

Ed Brubaker's Velvet, issues one and two.

I've never even heard of Velvet and I assumed this was Bru right away. He certainly has a distinctive "voice"

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Ennis has his ups and downs, it's just his downs are pretty far down in the gutter

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I think a lot of wheather or not you like Ennis comes from how much you take his stuff at face value. If your reading something like Punisher or Fury Max or The Boys and thinking you're supposed to identify with the big tough manly guy and that they're a good and true hero, then yeah you're not going to enjoy it much unless you're a 13 year old boy.
The whole point of most of his work is how hosed up and broken those guys are. It's the same as Watchmen and Rorschach

Opopanax fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 5, 2017

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Reed Richards just has that effect on people

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

drat I love that IF costume

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

PYF Kirby tributes

(not quite done yet but my Kirby cosmic sleeve)

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

prefect posted:

Reminds me of the Inhuman who may or may not have been mutated into looking like a dog, and now everybody treats him like a dumb animal.

That was cannonically just some guys loving with Grimm

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

ManiacClown posted:

Now I'm imagining DKR as narrated by Adam West doing himself as Mayor West.

One of my dream films would have been DKR with Adam West playing Batman, and just reusing old, dirty, broken versions of the old sets

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I used to think I didn't like Irving's art, but I think he's just the kind of artist where he's not a good fit for just anything, but when you get him on the right book, man oh man

E: oh. Ok well him I like then!

Opopanax fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Oct 9, 2017

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I imagine it goes the same way that Flash/Trickster conversation does

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

A picture's worth 1000 words, but there's only 207 words there

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Only if the climax is bringing in Salem’s 777 to beat them

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Hawkeye can use the fists for arrows

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

At least they learned their lesson and gave Leopardon a bigger part this time

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

jng2058 posted:

The weird thing is that isn't how Morlun was when he first showed up. He ate any animal totem types, in his very first appearance he eats an eagle-themed German hero. He should be just as happy to eat the Rhino, Vulture, or Doc Ock as he is Spider-Man. Or black Panther, Falcon, or Wolverine for that matter. Indeed, since Morlun's vulnerable to radiation and by amping the radiation in his blood is how Spidey beats him the first time, the fact that so many Spider-folk are also radioactive should put them off Morlun's menu. How many times do you go back to a restaurant where you got food poisoning, eh?

That actually makes more sense, he’s just cosmic Ahab.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

People need to stop wasting Foreman on normal books and let him go nuts like with Animal Man again

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

"wasting" is not the word I'd use

See now that's what I mean, unleash him!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Supergod is really good but the other two fell pretty flat for me. No Hero in particular is just a bit too nihilistic and depressing.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Not complete without Fat Cobra’s patented techniques

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Bruceski posted:

I'm not sure that's accurate about losing knowledge of how to mine lead. You mine it the same as other metals, but if the choice is digging it out of the ground or stripping it off of these ruins where people already did the work...

He means we lost the knowledge of how to make it, so just had to harvest it from ruins

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Look at all these chumps who ain't read Seven Soldiers

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Lurdiak posted:

Didn't they ruin that universe by trying to bring it back and killing like 3/4 of the cast and depowering the others.

Well, it is X-men

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Angry Salami posted:

One of the things I appreciated about AoA was that it was dystopian, but it wasn't completely doomed. Magneto's X-Men were winning small victories here and there, there were mentions that they'd taken down previous Horsemen, the human resistance in Europe was keeping Apocalypse at bay. It felt like a universe where things were going badly, but there was still some hope, and that made it have more impact. Stuff like Old Man Logan is a lot harder to take seriously because it's just 'everything that could go wrong does go wrong' and it feels cartoonishly over-the-top.

(I also have a lot of affection for it because one of my first comics was an AoA tie-in, part of a random bundle of issues I was given, so for a few years I just assumed X-Men was always a post-apocalyptic story...)

This why I can't behind Ruins, it's just too much and spins around to parody .

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Phy posted:

Also by this point any Satan that quotes the Stones should be exploded, promptly, out of principle

That's the stone age so technically the Stones are quoting him. This takes place at least a couple years before Keith is even born

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

She's not singing the song, she's casting a spell :colbert:

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Busiek's always a good bet

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Red Bones posted:

Kitty can speak fluent Russian because (iirc) Xavier instantaneously psychics the language into her brain when young, pre-demon-abduction Illyana is living at the mansion. He does it so that Kitty can look after Illyana, because she's just a little kid who can only speak Russian at the time.

I'm not sure if Xavier ever does that again? Being able to instantly, permanently teach someone a foreign language would be insanely useful.

He teaches Cyclops Chinese in Morrison's run, but they reference the fact that it slowly wears off

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Push El Burrito posted:

This rules. These panels rule holy poo poo I'm laughing so hard.

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. Push El Burrito loved Anime

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Joe Fisto posted:

Is there any explanation on how Harley is a prisoner at Belle Reve w/the Suicide Squad and also everywhere else?

Same way Batman patrols Gotham city every night but also is in Metropolis helping Superman and also in space.

Or there are 3 Harleys

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Lurdiak posted:

Just stab him with a special device that gives him a degenerative nerve condition that makes him like toddler strength and bad motor control. See how much killing and leading he gets done that way.

The Prometheus method

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Someone spilled some Pym particles