Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Jiro posted:

After she transformed she looks like Danger from X-Men.

I think that's her inter-transformation look. Her post-transformation look is like some kind of Metal Gear robot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
From what I've read of it Deadly Class is a lot more like one of those not-quite-so-sanitized teen movies, except with lots of murder and crime.

Like, An edgy teen movie that is then made more edgy by taking place in the John Wick universe

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Infinitum posted:

Leopardon rocked up in the first Spiderverse event

I always feel this page when posted by itself is a bit disingenuous, because then Morlun and them completely wreck it on the next page like it's a loving Sentinel or something

What a terrible bunch of villains. Whose idea was it to have the Multiversal Coalition of Spider-People be menaced by a bunch of weird Anne Rice rejects, all things?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
She certainly made an impression on Woodchuck there but she's gonna be in trouble when she goes up against Guts

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
My interpretation is that Lex admires, but pities Batman the way that Superman admires, but pities Luthor, i.e. "All that brilliance and yet you waste it on fighting circus themed serial killers and breaking mugger bones. You could be doing something productive! Like killing Superman!"

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Doc Hawkins posted:

imo it takes a very luthorian view of both intelligence and humanity to think batman is the most intelligent human on dc earth

e: Cyborg is right there

I don't gently caress with comics Cyborg for what I believe to be wholly justified reasons, have they finally settled on whether or not he was a troubled kid who rejected his egghead parents, a jock who rejected his egghead parents, or an eggheaded jock who just was mad about being turned into a robot?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Lurdiak posted:

The Thing already did that whole routine.

So did Superman, and he was fighting Muhammad Ali instead of some one-off villain

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Not casting any aspersions on this comic in particular (although that helmet should have a tiara motif), but was anything ever done in comics to redeem the Old Man Logan setting?

Because it's pretty Millar-y in the worst way, but they keep going back to it. Maybe because Logan (the movie) was good?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

TwoPair posted:

I think for the most part the OML setting is just an intriguing one, which is why people want to keep revisiting it (aside from yes, the Logan thing). The original, for all it's Millar-y faults, presented a devastated world with a simple premise ("the villains won, the world's poo poo") and left enough unseen that readers, and now of course authors, get to speculate all about how exactly the villains did win, how life in the post-apocalypse is, and to tell stories with the characters left (and to take advantage of characters Millar didn't specify as dead in the original, like for example, Viv Vision).

I dunno, it's probably just a matter of personal taste, but "bad guys won" AUs are a dime a dozen and much prefer stuff like the cyberpunk nightmare of AOA or any number of Dooms "I won but I'm bored now" setups than the Mad Max pastiche stuff in the Old Man Logan setting, and that's before you get into inbred Hulks hillbillies

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Push El Burrito posted:

Look Rhino is strong enough that Daredevil shouldn't have been able to take him off his feet like that, furthermore

does anyone here have any interest in figuring out how much force would be generated by a 180-220 pound man launching a choke with a nigh-unbreakable cord at someone who is charging him that probably weighs between 800 pounds and a ton and a half and is moving between 40-50 mph?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

John Dyne posted:

I feel like Spider-Man has done the same trick but since it's Spider-Man and things have to be wacky, Rhino just kept running with Pete hanging on for dear life behind him.

Peter is generally either not skilled or not severe enough to try and choke out his villains, depending on the tone and context of the story

This is honestly one of the things I hated about when Slott tried to teach him kung fu. Spider-Man getting an in depth combat education is weird to me because he really doesn't need it, he's basically on the tier below all the world-breakers already.

It's probably just a stupid fanboy quibble of mine, like whenever Batman makes ongoing use out of power armor instead of using it on special occasions. If these characters are going to exist in a state of quasi-stasis and never evolve that much, I think it makes a lot of sense for them to stay in their drat lanes. Or if you're going to expand their scope, do it in a good way like Batman Inc.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Yeah to be honest the fact that Conan was trying to negotiate with that dragon instead of trying browbeat him into submission strikes me as a bit weird

Maybe Marvel Conan is different? Or New Marvel Conan is different

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I would've never believed it, but after all this Knull poo poo, I'm glad that movie Venom doesn't have the white spider on him

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
There are shows with zero sexual content or even a dearth of female characters who will still have official cheesecake art floating around, whether as illustrations used for merch or something to stick in a magazine or whatever. Do not judge too harshly by the results of what an image search turns up.

this warning doesn't apply to kemono michi though, it is actually horny, i like the one with the really paranoid guy better

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Tsilkani posted:

The Hulk Buster always works.

The first time.

That makes it so much more satisfying when they try again and Hulk beats it like a baby seal.

I'm pretty sure the first time it was ever used it was against Smart Huilk who was like "lol cute" and then proceeded to de-escalate the situation, because he didn't want to fight anyway

It MIGHT have worked but considering how little he seemed to be worried about it, it didn't really make a strong impression other than looking really cool (Which is why anything comes back, see also; Venom)

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I get the feeling we're going to be seeing a lot of panels (pages?) from the new Moon Knight run in this thread

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Has Vibranium always been Hyperion's kryptonite?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Is OG Dragon actually that old now? I know that time progresses in his book a bit more steadily than in most superhero stuff considering his kid is an adult now, but drat

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I kind of feel like lovely King Arthurs in comics, in 2021, is asking to be compared to Once and Future, and that is a hurdle that Excalibur is not up to surmounting

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I can see the appeal of the concept on a surface level (which is usually about as far as it goes with Aaron stuff) but kung fu Thor is a bit like kung fu Spider-Man in that it feels like sugarcoating something that was already sweet and high in calories

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
The fight in that issue felt to me like the art was kind of under-delivering

Not that it was Capital B bad or anything, but in the hands of an artist with a real mastery of dynamism and choreography, it mighta been beautiful

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Yeah from what I've read, which granted isn't much, it's kind of a C-list Sentai parody. The jokes aren't quite jokey enough and the grim is a little too grim.

it ain't no sunred that's for drat sure

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
This is as good a place to bring it up as any, but I always found that Millar going "Norman was always super evil and becoming the Goblin just made him crazy" resulted in him being a lot more generic than he had been previously. It's been kind of salvaged since then by making it so that Norman has all these ambitions of greatness with the Goblin persona acting like an impulse-driven roadblock to his greater aspirations, but at the time I thought it was pretty lame

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Otto was too busy being sad nerd crimes to do cool Octopus themed crimes, and that's why he's a Spider-Man villain and not a Batman villain

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Once and Future is probably my favorite creator-owned Giellen book and French Lancelot is a hell of a superhero design

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Rigged Death Trap posted:

From the same issue.
Hes talking to the little girl he rescued.

I like this way better than Clark talking like the writer is going out of his way to make him sound like a square

although it kinda maybe underscores why i didnt like king's batman run at all

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Grendels Dad posted:

Uh, isn't Bill roughly on a level with Thor, so theoretically able to punch Hulk in a way that Hulk feels? Clotheslining a random normie sounds like a bad idea for a guy like him, unless he likes picking up bits of chest out of his shirt for weeks.

by comics logic characters like say, Terrax or Mongul are adequately described as random jerks

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Elissimpark posted:

I'm watching a series about a grieving widower awkwardly trying to reconnect with his estranged son while abusing his corporate position in an attempt to deal, poorly, with his grief.

Oh, whats it called?

Neon Genesis Evangelion.

technically it's a government job

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Morrison's JLA run is good as it is, but for me, Porter's art is keeping it from being an all-timer

like McGuiness comes along and does that Ultramarine story in JLA Classified and hoooo boy did I like that

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I feel like J'onn's "incredibly powerful but lonesome, noble fish out of water" schtick works way better for Silver Surfer

probably partially because of the much stronger design

As for Superman, I liked the period in the 00s where they depicted the upper limits of his powers as having a cost. Like he can be faster than the Flash or punch through offbrand Galactus' brainpan but he has to fly into the sun and fry his body out for the next few days as a result.

I always thought there'd be an interesting story to explore where if he starts pushing himself harder and harder he feels his humanity start to slip due because he's acting so far removed from human levels of perception. That'd make a much better explanation for "Why isn't he constantly operating at unimaginable levels to minimize harm in the world" than the current reason, which I believe boils down to "work life balance, baby"

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Did they ever explain where all the adamantium was coming from? Did Proteus just whip it up in between resurrections?

I feel like with telepathy, the astral plane is sort of the internet for brains and souls, so it's less about your brainwaves travelling through the air and more some sort of relativistic poo poo about how psychic signals travel through there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Between the lobotomized Wolverine clones and the headless alternate universe Sabertooths, Percy seems to have developed a pattern

gonna be real silly if the two forces don't clash before the end of sabertooth war