Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hitman #52: otherdimensional entities known as the Many-Angled Ones are poised to destroy Gotham, and then the world. Standing in their way is Six-Pack, a delusional drunk who thinks he's a superhero.

Despite having no powers, and knowing he has no powers and knowing that everyone thinks he's a drunken joke, he still faces off against the demons.

drat right that's what superheroes do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Cassa posted:

They're confident he's a chump and taking the piss.
Didn't quite work out how they thought it would, either.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

drat, that can easily be a Wonder Woman panel.
Well, she is from Themyscira.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

That is the characterization of every god.

People were weird in what they wanted from a deity.

I don't remember the exact quote, but Terry Pratchett summed it up nicely by pointing out that people made gods to do the things they were incapable of, especially in the areas of nymphs and the smiting of one's enemies.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Wa11y posted:

Apparently, Thor never read the fine print on his hammer. It clearly says, "...if HE be worthy..." Women are exempted from having to be worthy to wield the power of Thor. Lawyered.

At the end of MvsDC the hammer was shown to now say "If He or She Be Worthy". Not that it stuck.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

It's also worth pointing out that that gif is made out of panels of the comic. The art is loving amazing and flows so smoothly it's easy to forget that it comes from a comic.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Vincent posted:

I. AM. THE. NEW. CLAUS.

All is one in Santa. This jolly body is my church.

When I HO HO HO, I speak with three billion voices.

When I make a list of all the little boys and girls.

IT IS WITH THREE BILLION HANDS!

When I check the list once, then check it twice. To see who's been naughty or nice.

IT IS WITH SIX BILLION EYES!

NOTHING LIKE SANTA HAS EVER COME AMONG YOU: NOTHING WILL AGAIN.
I WILL GIVE YOU VISIONS OF SUGAR PLUMS WITHOUT EXIT OR END.
AND THERE I WILL GIVE YOU YOUR PRESENTS!

AND MAKE YOU SMILE AND SING!
AND JINGLE!
JINGLE! JINGLE! FOR KRINGLE!

There was a war for Christmas, Mr. Turpin. And I won. Your holiday belongs to Santa now.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

That's what they tell PAs in Hollywood.

It's also what a lot of freelance artists and writers get told. They're being "paid in exposure".

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

STiL. posted:

I think what's most endearing about Planetary is that the good guys are actually good. I think any comic you can apply the term 'metawank' certainly has a serious danger of pulling out the rug on the reader about what is and isn't real, and exactly what part of the story you were lied to. And while Planetary has it's moments of betrayal and mystery, it played fair, which is frankly stunning considering it's place as another turn-of-the-millenneum third-party imprint . It's one of the few comics that completely dragged me into it and I was rooting for Elijah the whole way through.

I think it was stated earlier in the thread that Planetary is about a guy going on a "gently caress you I'm gonna non-evilly save the world and make it a legit better place" rampage.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

prefect posted:

Ulysses X. Lugman, now that's a good name for a bad guy.

Was this ghost written by Garth Ennis?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Die Laughing posted:

Prometheus is "Batman can beat anyone with prep time" told as a joke. He's brought onto the JLA base as part of a press event. The punchline is him not being able to predict that Catwoman would use the event for her own reasons, and gets whipped in the dick. I'm sure there's people out there who took him at face value, and saw him as a super bad rear end that shouldn't have been emasculated by Catwoman.

EDIT: His second appearence he's made a joke again. And in JLA/Avengers he's used to show how good Cap is. Similarly Cap/Prometheus and the first Batman/Prometheus fight were both off panel.

The of course in Cry For Justice he's played straight, and is able to stymie the entire League (including J'onn and Zatana) from reading his mind or stopping him from blowing up Star City.

Then we're supposed to think that Green Arrow killing him was somehow bad.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Prometheus' only real "badass" moments came after Morrison was done with him, and even then they were only badass in the "I want this character to be a badass so he just wins because everyone else is suddenly dumb" way. He really is how every lovely fanboy writes Batman.

(source is Cry For Justice, don't know the issue)

The only reason Prometheus wins there is because the good guys are just doing another Justice League Single-File Dogpile, which was stupid as poo poo when it happened in Identity Crisis. Hell, it's even the same way Zatanna was taken out by Deathstroke (side note: why is she taking point?).

Also:

Arm rip! Everybody drink! :v:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Zeroisanumber posted:

And that assassin? Andrea Beaumont, AKA The Phantasm.

Even better, in the BB comics it's revealed the person who ended up killing Terry's father in the series pilot was the grandnephew of Joe Chill.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

Who becomes a vigilante to atone for his sins!!!

Called "Vigilante"!

It just keeps going.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Redeye Flight posted:

"Vigilante" is a name with history in the DCU, though, so that's fair. Did he have a cowboy theme?
No, he just took his old security armor, spray painted it silver, and I think got a jetpack from somewhere.

He only took the name because Barbra Gordon called him a vigilante.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

PantsOptional posted:

"I know what's a good idea, I'll pick a fist fight with a guy who's got years of experience punching people and who hangs out with some of the best martial artists in the world" - Lex Luthor, supergenius
The fistfights never work for Lex; he gets physically and verbally beaten.

All-Star Superman #12

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Stop talking about Choose Your Own Adventures; today is Jack Kirby's birthday so post the Kirby-est panels.

New Gods #6

OMAC #2

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I almost forgot about the greatest forgotten Kirby thing ever:

Transilvane: a small planet some scientist grew in his basement under Metropolis. The scientists guided evolution by using those projectors to show classic horror movies, so of course the inhabitants evolved into Draculas, Frankensteins, and Werewolves. These little beings then traveled off-planet in size-changing coffin rockets to stop their world from being destroyed via robots with super-bug-spray. Superman saves the day, and begins to turn the Transilvane-ians good by replacing the monster movies with the movie Oklahoma.

Top that.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

FredMSloniker posted:

I got that. The joke was that the sword is waaaaay bigger than:

(Source: X-Men #1. No, I don't know which one.)
Magneto's expression is less "oh no I'm about to get mindfried" and more "did someone off-panel just fart?"

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

prefect posted:

She's just going to knock him unconscious. That's all.
"And now to use my psychic knife...the focused totality of my psionic abilities...to knock him out for about an hour or so. Or I could just punch him a few times since I'm a ninja and pretty good at that kind of thing."

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

goatface posted:

Vin Diesel acting the silent role of Black Bolt while providing the voice of Groot would just be economical.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

It happened the other way too, when Bullseye paid Deadpool off to stop going after Norman Osborn during the whole "Dark Avengers" thing, since Bullseye knew he couldn't beat Wade.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ygolonac posted:

That's the backup story in the Aja/Fraction Hawkfist/Immortal Iron Guy book.
You have no idea how sad I am because I just realized you made that book up.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Parahexavoctal posted:

You need to read his appearance in Damage Control!

(we miss you, Dwayne McDuffie)

Oh, and for badass - read the "When Doom Defaults" issue.

("Do you have ID? ..... Do you have photo ID?")

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Sadly, I can believe that given how badly every attempt DC makes to be "dark and gritty" or do shades-of-grey morality has been handled.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Throg looks so happy! :buddy:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

galagazombie posted:

I think the general rule in comics seems to be "If it happened in the 90's then it didn't actually happen." Which honestly seems like a pretty good rule of thumb.
Particularly when it involves the Clone Saga.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The best part is that Fury apparently set up the whole thing with Skull going for/getting the Cosmic Cube so he could get control of SHIELD back from whoever had it at the time.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Uthor posted:

Am I supposed to read that left to right?

I don't think you're supposed to read it at all.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

wiegieman posted:

What's even crazier is that this is actually the denouement to All Star Superman, which was written years later.
Well, they were written by Grant Morrison. By his standards writing the conclusion years before the setup is pretty mundane.

As awesome as that whole sequence is, though, this is still my favorite page:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Gann Jerrod posted:

It sure is! If you liked any Hanna-Barbera action show then you should read Future Quest. There's also some real good Frankenstein Jr action in the latest issue.

You know, I was avoiding the Hanna-Barbera comics because I hate what they did with Wacky Races (which I love), but I think I need to pick this up.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

Any sign of Atom Ant or Inch-High, Private Eye?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Roth posted:

From The Old Guard #1

Huh, I didn't know Michael Bay was writing and drawing comics.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

If Mark Millar licks goats, what does Garth Ennis do?

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 4, 2017

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

The Wesley Gibson wiki page is amazingly terribly written. Go read it, you'll have fun. An excerpt:
I like that the wiki entry for the character is just a summary of the whole series.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Herr Tog posted:

what wrong with Beasts(?) face?

Decades of bad science decisions.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Ia this the one where supes burns captain marvel right thru the skull with heat vision

Yyyyup. Happened at the tail end of Ground Zero.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Toshimo posted:

I'd argue that the look of desperation on Supes face in panel 3 is what sells the scene.
I think Toshimo's talking about the look of shock selling the moment, not the scene as a whole.

That said, yeah, the look of hurt and desperation in Clark's face in the third panel is just so well done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Toshimo posted:

Don't you dare tell me what Toshimo is or is not talking about.

Maybe you should pay more attention to what Toshimo is saying then, hmm? Did you consider that? <:mad:>